This is a what if ??

Gracefamily

We are book for a February cruise. Let's say we get in the morning and it's foggy. Does carnival notify passengers early of delays or will we find that out when we get to port???

Ok. Assume delay, should we drop off luggage and head to a bar/restaurant to wait it out or stay at the hotel for as long as possible? Its just adults no kids.

I'm not stressing about this cause things happen. Just getting a game plan together

Thanks

We are book for a February cruise. Let's say we get in the morning and it's foggy. Does carnival notify passengers early of delays or will we find that out when we get to port???

Ok. Assume delay, should we drop off luggage and head to a bar/restaurant to wait it out or stay at the hotel for as long as possible? Its just adults no kids.

I'm not stressing about this cause things happen. Just getting a game plan together

Thanks

Don't stress, but make sure you have insurance. It was very benefical to us this past cruise as we missed our flights and could not get a flight until the next day.

On Jan 8th when we got off the ship at approximately 2pm(self assist, so first group to debark), and went to a nearby hotel.. Sheraton Four Points (a wonderful hotel!!!), there was a group of people sitting comfortably in the lobby waiting to embark their ship. They must have received notification not to go to the port until after 5pm. The ships left port around 8pm on Sunday Jan 8th.

Carnival started to announce that we would not be able to enter the Port of Galveston at 7:30am. They kept us informed of what was going on, and even when the pilot got on the ship. Make sure if you have to activate insurance or call airlines you call guest services from your room. They will connect you free of charge to the number(s) you need to call. Also, I requested a letter from Guest Services for my insurance. They prepared it and had it waiting at Guest Services. Again I did not stand in line, but asked a rep who was trying to answer questions to the guests in line to get it for me. There must have been 100 people in line.

On Jan 1st our embarkation day, the ship began debarkation around 11am. We went to the port at 1pm. In hindsight, we should have gone at 4pm to avoid 3 hours of standing and waiting to board. But we were not aware of the ships plans for departure, as Carnival did not contact me via email, or cell phone. We were simply watching the web cams from our hotel.

Karen

Thanks Karen

Is there any bar/restaurants near port to help pass the time if needed?

Great plan, but be sure to have a minimal amount of carry on luggage, otherwise it will be a challenge.

I am not familar with all the locations, but there is a Starbucks right on the corner by the cruise port. There were also alot of people waiting and watching from a pier right on the waterway, as we were docking. It was a very nice day, and I am sure it paid off to be outside than cooped up in the terminal.

KN

GraceFam not sure when your cruise is but Feb is Mardi Gras in Galveston which may make some venues rather crowded dates are feb 10th to 21st. We are going to monitor the cruise cam and carnival updates to see if there is a fog delay. If so we may leave the house late (live in far nw houston) or stop in Kemah or Clear Lake along the way.

Have a Great Cruise!

GraceFam not sure when your cruise is but Feb is Mardi Gras in Galveston which may make some venues rather crowded dates are feb 10th to 21st. We are going to monitor the cruise cam and carnival updates to see if there is a fog delay. If so we may leave the house late (live in far nw houston) or stop in Kemah or Clear Lake along the way.

Have a Great Cruise!

Great idea on the cruise cam-- do you by chance have a link for it-- or can you tell me where to look? (Wasn't sure if it was a shipcam or one at the port.) THANKS!!

Archived