Cruising out of NYC in March

Kroozen

Hi All,

I have a question about the weather cruising out of NYC in March. I live in NYC, so I know what the weather is like there in March, but what's it like heading down the coast, then back up? We will have 1 sea day on the way down, and 2 on the way up. When will it start to warm up and cool back down?

First full day out will be cool for sure, but the next morning forward you'll be quite comfy. Coming back the last two days will seem cold compared to what you felt. Those last 2 days are the worst days... vacation is over!

Derek

Generally it starts to warm up by the afternoon of the first sea day and stays warm until the last sea day afternoon. That's the best case scenario. It also depends on the weather down the coast which as we all know can vary. Also depends on whether you're getting sunny days.

It's really hit and miss, one week could be hot and the next cold. We're leaving in a couple of weeks and I'm planning to take some things that I can layer. But I'm also optimistically taking sleeveless tops and shorts!

As a rule of thumb, until you hit the Gulf Stream (which flows north from Florida and swings out easterly around Cape Hatteras, NC,) the water temperatures are conciderably colder. Once past Hatteras heading south, you should notice the warmer temperatures. Depending of coarse on any rare arctic fronts coming from the west (if you should be so lucky - hopefully not).

As a rule of thumb, until you hit the Gulf Stream (which flows north from Florida and swings out easterly around Cape Hatteras, NC,) the water temperatures are conciderably colder. Once past Hatteras heading south, you should notice the warmer temperatures. Depending of coarse on any rare arctic fronts coming from the west (if you should be so lucky - hopefully not).

I've been fishing off Hatteras in the GS in March. What is really cool to see, at least for me is the fog bank you will sometimes see. You go from water and air temps in the 30's and 40's to air temp of 50-60 and water temp of 80. You can see the GS buy the literal wall of fog.........

Archived