Silly to go Solo on Valentines?

justkiya

I'm planning my first cruise - and I'm going solo. I'm in my mid-30's, recently divorced, very introverted, and just realized that I've NEVER gone on a vacation alone - and it's HIGH time I did so. Besides, beaches and sun and lovely lovely ocean are the perfect cures for the mid-winter blehs.

I'm considering two different cruise dates - both on the NCL Spirit - one leaving Feb 5th, the other Feb 12th. The 12th one is slightly cheaper, and considering the single supplement - I'm eyeballing that one - but I'm wondering if I'll feel severely out of place on a cruise during the 'most romantic day of the year'.

Has anyone else gone solo on a cruise that was out on Valentines? Do the ships tend to do anything different?

I'd also be able to spend a little Mardi Gras time in NO if I took the one on the 12th - which makes it even MORE tempting - but I don't want to toss a wrench in my first cruise by picking a week that's as unaccommodating to solo cruisers as possible.

Thanks!

Not silly at all. I've never cruised on or around Valentine's Day, so I can't really say whether or not the ship does anything special - but there are always plenty of people cruising, solo or not, who aren't "couples", so I certainly wouldn't give up a cruise for what is really just another day. There's just as likely to be hoards of single women "escaping" spending Valentine's Day alone (It doesn't seem to be as big a deal for guys).

My DH spends the week that includes Valentine's Day (coincidence?) in Canada, snowmobiling with his cousins and our son.

It's not a big deal. (I'm an abject failure at being a snowmobile enthusiast).

I think that it would be a good thing to do, not silly at all. I personally would far rather be sat enjoying a nice meal and a few cocktails on a Cruise on my own on Valentines, rather than be alone at home! Though maybe avoid the Specialty Restaurants where you could be surrounded couples having a romantic dinner for two :eek:

But especially if that sailing is both cheaper and appeals more, I say go for it and I hope you have a fantastic time. I'm about to go on my second solo cruise (this time with NCL) on Friday and I can't wait. I'm in my late 20's and found it really refreshing to go away and be completely selfish, you can do whatever you want without worrying about anyone else. I'll post a long review when I get back if you're interested. Happy cruise shopping :D

I would encourage you to go. My motivation for going on my last cruise 12/17-12/24 was that I really was not going to be doing anything interesting where I would be that particular week and that I could be doing something different.

However- where does the Spirit go to? If you happen to be going from FLA I would encourage you to do the Epic.

I went solo on the Jewel and felt as though I was being fed to the wolves, and it was a 180 degree turnaround being on the Epic.

I consider myself a mix between introverted and extroverted as I am fine doing things by myself, but from my personal experience I found it much easier meeting people on the Epic than the Jewel due to the a) Studio Lounge, b) better entertainment

I have done it in the past and will be again this year. There will be another lady on my v-day cruise too. I didn't feel at all bad about it. But, than my dh, who isn't going with me don't do anything major. I told him it was his present to me:D The other lady is single.

They did push roses on the cruise. I was doing a back to back and V-day was at the end so when the people left and left the roses behind, I pick up some really nice flowers still in a vase of water. When the room steward must have add 2-3 dozen more to them:eek:

Go for it, the price was right for me too. I didn't even realize the date till after booking.

I'd go for it! I will be doing my very first cruise next summer with my daughter as my traveling companion. But after that she will be starting college and getting a job.

My husband has already told me that he has no desire to ever go on a cruise so I'll be going solo if I ever want to cruise again. So I've already decided that one year it will be my birthday present, another year Anniversary present, Mothers Day, Valentines, Christmas, Easter, etc......

I usually have to buy my own gifts anyway since husbands not big into holidays. Might as well buy myself a cruise or two!

I think I would go for it. The added bonus of a little time spent for Mardi Gras would add to the experience. I have cruised solo over Valentine's day and other holidays and I never felt out of place. When you travel solo the trip is more about you and what you enjoy. Yes they will be pushing the flowers and the romance packages, but only you know if that will bother you. Just buy a few roses as a gift to yourself and enjoy them. A few chocolates never hurt either in case the day does bother you a little. After all, we all know that chocolate heals everything. Besides, you will have the other 6 days to enjoy your trip. Happy Sailing.

Thank you all, so much!!! *grins*

The RollCall for the Valentines Cruise is a LOT more active, too. *lol* It's funny - on land, Valentines Day is a non-day for me - I wasn't sure if being 'trapped' on the ship would make it 'worse' - though, really, we'd be in port in Cozumel then, sooooo. Darn! That means I'll have to rearrange my excursion thoughts, as that ship goes 'backwards' from the one on the 5th, and I fully plan on doing nothing more strenuous than laying on the beach in our last port - esp. if I hit a bit of Mardi Gras once we land!

I live in Memphis, and am leaving out of New Orleans - if I was closer to Florida, I would DEFINITELY be on the Epic instead!

Thanks again, y'all!

Back in Aug, I did that same ship and ports. I went solo and my total price was under $500....no single supplement at all AND it turned into 9 full days and 9 full nights because of TS Lee closing the port of New Orleans. I am getting a price of over $1000 for this cruise......personally I wouldn't do it.......I will be doing the Spirit again as it has been the best cruise yet......

Archived