First Timers- Few Questions

crewmember59

Hi everyone:), this is my first post on the forum :-) I have only recently started to look into cruising and I’m finding it very addictive, trawling through all the different cruise liners out there and itinerary’s they all offer.

So far i have booked a cruse in June on the NCL EPIC, found a great deal for me and my family, very excited!!!

Myself and my partner would like to try a cruise as well, there is the RCI Independence departing Southampton in November for a 13 night transatlantic that we like the look of. So here are my questions about this cruise.

1) Do the ships generally sell out or only at peak times of the year? As we want to wait a few months to book but we also don’t want to miss out?

2) For the best deal is it best to book early or wait a lot closer to the time?

3) A 13 night transatlantic from Southampton, not in the school holidays, what demographic of people do you think will be on board?

4) FOD meetings, where do we find out if there will be any on our cruise?

5) We are very sociable people but also quite private, do you think we have a good chance of getting a table for 2 as i think we would be more comfortable with this seating arrangement.

I hope someone can answer my questions and any extra advise would be great, as i said were both very new to cruising, we really like the idea and have heard great things from friends and family but still a little apprehensive and unsure...:rolleyes:

X

My opinions:

1.) My experience is that very few cruises actually sell out - the waiting game may result in a lower price but you may have fewer options with regards to cabin choice. You may also try resellers who often have significant bargains over booking with the cruise line. If you wish to send me a direct message I can share some of those companies but we are not allowed to post them on forums.

2.) We always wait as late as possible. That being said we are not picky about rooms and are flexible with vacation time and where we might actually end up cruising.

3.) Likely a somewhat older crowd.

4.) Usually will be posted on the activity board - sometimes in the program. Depends on the cruise line and I have never been on RCI.

5.) I would encourage you to try a larger table - we have developed some very lovely relationships over the years with our dinner mates. And besides - if you don't enjoy your companions you can always change.

As I said - just my thoughts on the matter.

3) A 13 night transatlantic from Southampton, not in the school holidays, what demographic of people do you think will be on board?

My mother, who is in her early 70's, has done several transatlantics. She's told me that on every crossing, the majority of the passengers are of the "geriatric" set, 60's and older.

Hi everyone:), this is my first post on the forum :-) I have only recently started to look into cruising and I’m finding it very addictive, trawling through all the different cruise liners out there and itinerary’s they all offer.

So far i have booked a cruse in June on the NCL EPIC, found a great deal for me and my family, very excited!!!

Myself and my partner would like to try a cruise as well, there is the RCI Independence departing Southampton in November for a 13 night transatlantic that we like the look of. So here are my questions about this cruise.

1) Do the ships generally sell out or only at peak times of the year? As we want to wait a few months to book but we also don’t want to miss out?

5) We are very sociable people but also quite private, do you think we have a good chance of getting a table for 2 as i think we would be more comfortable with this seating arrangement.

I hope someone can answer my questions and any extra advise would be great, as i said were both very new to cruising, we really like the idea and have heard great things from friends and family but still a little apprehensive and unsure...:rolleyes:

X

Hello,

RCI always claims to sail full. This is usually achieved by flexible pricing and offers like free parking or on board credit.

My approach is to book as soon as I see the cruise advertised/available and if the price is reasonable. Once done, do not look back (remember Lot's wife, or Gore Vidal's book 'The City and the Pillar'). Waiting is like playing poker (I think, I do not gamble). Cabins may be left and cheap, but they may not be what you want. Or they may have gone when you come to look again. When you book with RCI you will get the benefit of one price reduction for your grade of cabin, if there is one. Some TAs may do the same.

I have never crossed the pond by sea but the usual average age on board a Med cruise is 75 (even with all the screaming brats).

FOD meetings are advertised on postcards on the Community Noticeboard (not in the daily newspaper). On the Indy, the noticeboard is usually outside the Cafe Promenade close to the Future Sales office.

There are few tables for two - most are 4 - 8. I wouldn't like to say whether you had a greater chance of getting a table for two if you went for 'My time' or traditional. You would get a table for two if you booked into either Chop's Grille or Portofino's specialty restaurants, but that would add considerably to the cost of your cruise. As there's only me (but open to offers) I usually go for tables of 6 - 8 and have only ever asked to be moved once on RCI.

You'll love it.

Regards,

Cublet

X

If you are happy with the price ... better to book and most cruise lines will drop the price prior to final payment if you ask ... just watch the lines website. I like to be able to choose my Cabin so book early.

I would go for a large table ... more fun, we have met some very nice and interesting people ... many have become good friends from all over the world. As I always say to my friend we eat together all year.

We have travelled Tranatlantic, its been a fun crown and most of the

gays/lesbians were around the 40's upwards.

FOD meets are anyones guess ... depends who is on the ship ... most will be a post on the notice board now.

Have fun

Neil

Archived