Wind Surf Barcelona-Lisbon Nov. 4-12, 2012--bad idea for first timer?

Rileyroo

I've been on both larger and smaller ships with the more mainstream cruise lines and have enjoyed them all, but now I'm looking for something different. After reading all the glowing reviews of Windstar here, it looks like I've found it.

The itinerary that appeals for both location and timing is Barcelona to Lisbon on the Wind Surf from Nov. 4 to 12. However, I saw some indication that the ship is going into dry dock for the remainder of its refurbishment around this time, maybe right after that cruise ends. Is that correct?

If so, is that something that should make me think twice about or even flat out avoid this cruise? I'm not necessarily as concerned about the physical condition of the ship as I am about the atmosphere or level of service. For example, are certain areas going to be shut down early in anticipation, or is the crew going to be preoccupied with getting things ready for the dry dock? I'm not very familiar with that process, so if anyone has been in that environment, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Also, is the weather that time of year conducive to being outside? Obviously, one of the draws of these ships is the ability to be on deck under the sails or dining outside, etc. But if the weather isn't pleasant enough to do that, does the ship start feeling too small and claustrophobic?

Thanks for any information and advice you'd be able to offer. After reading so many different stories about people's experiences on Windstar, it seems like it would be such a great option with lots of friendly people. Thanks.

The itinerary that appeals for both location and timing is Barcelona to Lisbon on the Wind Surf from Nov. 4 to 12. However, I saw some indication that the ship is going into dry dock for the remainder of its refurbishment around this time, maybe right after that cruise ends. Is that correct?

If so, is that something that should make me think twice about or even flat out avoid this cruise? I'm not necessarily as concerned about the physical condition of the ship as I am about the atmosphere or level of service. For example, are certain areas going to be shut down early in anticipation, or is the crew going to be preoccupied with getting things ready for the dry dock? I'm not very familiar with that process, so if anyone has been in that environment, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I've been onboard Wind Surf directly before she went into dry dock.

One area was taken out of service, the pool area, but only on the final day of the 14-day cruise and there were only around 40 passengers onboard at the time. On a regular 7-day cruise I'd be amazed if you saw any signs that she was preparing for dry dock.

With regards to the staff there was absolutely no change to the normal levels of service. No one was slacking off or preoccupied or doing prep work that impacted on their normal duties.

Can't help with the weather though! November is always going to be variable. We've cruised the Med, not with Windstar, in November and December and had great weather; but it's the luck of the draw on what you get. You will see fewer tourists on shore, and probably a lighter passenger load, and there are sheltered spots where you can sit and enjoy the views without being too cold so maybe there's some upsides to consider as well.

Hope you can find something that suits,

Mands

Thanks so much for the helpful responses. It would be great to try a different date on one of the other ships, but unfortunately, since I have so very little time off from work during the year, I really need to plan my vacations around holidays to get a bonus day.

Rileyroo:

I am booked on the Barcelona-Lisbon trip November 4 and am not anticipating any lack of service/asthetics from Windstar. Call me naive but it's my experience that Windstar's service remains constant.

They have a fantastic offer also for 2 free hotel nights and transfer that we took advantage of. Not sure if it's on other trips you are looking at but we are saving about $400 on the hotel reservations we had secured prior to Windstar adjusting our reservation.

I am looking forward to a bit of shoulder season vacation in which crowds and heat should not be a problem. My husband too likes the idea of an extra vacation day from the company. :)

Thanks MTJ:

I've read on other forums about experiences pre-dry dock (other cruise lines), and they were less than complimentary. Things like shutting down services days in advance. Based on all the Windstar reviews I've read, I'd be surprised if the same thing happened here, so I'm happy to hear that it doesn't seem to be a concern.

I also saw the hotel bonus offer. I've been wanting to visit Lisbon for the longest time, so this seems like the perfect combination of timing and location.

The "free" hotel offer is a bit of a bait and switch. I had my TA ask about it for our cruise, at the end staying in Lisbon 2 nights. She said we could change to it but we needed to add $88 per person to the cost of the cruise. I looked up the hotel used in Lisbon and its cost. It is $88 a night if you booked it yourself. So the hotel is not free. And the one in Lisbon is not in a good location and doesn't get very high marks on TA. You would get transportation from the ship to the hotel, but all that would save you is a few dollars and take up a lot of time.

So I'll book my own hotel in Lisbon, a much nicer place for less money, get off thee ship early and cab to the hotel, and start sightseeing in Lisbon right away.

Thanks Susiesan for that heads up. Our experience here is a little different.

We booked our cruise last Fall with a $200 OBC. Early this month I called my travel agent to make sure our pricing is lowest possible and Windstar was able to rebook our cruise at $166 lower in fare along with the hotel and transfer offer. We lost the $200 OBC but figured it was worth it in the end. We have been to Barcelona before and were going to stay where we had stayed before. With that costing around $400 with breakfast and transfers we decided to stay at Windstar's hotel, coming out ahead.

It always pays to check prices before final payment. ;)

Susiesan, are you on this cruise with us? We are planning on heading up to the Duoro Valley when we disembark, then returning to Lisbon before our flights home. The Barcelona deal fit perfectly within these plans.

MTJtraveller: Hubby and I are on the Wind Star sailing leaving BCN Oct. 27. We are flying into Madrid and staying there 3 nights before the cruise as we spent 5 nights in BCN in 2009 at the end of a Viking River cruise. Then after the cruise we are staying in LIS for 3 nights and flying home from there. I have frequent flier seats on AA already ticketed. I will be searching for hotels in MAD and LIS after we return from a Galapagos cruise on Xpedition at the end of March.

We have a $200 OBC from our TA. If I see any price drops I will ask her to rebook us at the lower fare.

Archived