Luggage in Barbados

I'm sure I read on this forum a few months back that when on a Thomson Caribbean cruise you dont need to wait at the luggage carousel in Barbados, as the cases are taken directly to your coach (unlike the Med. and Canaries where you take your own luggage to the bus).

Picked up our 'travel documents' from TA today and there is nothing of any great interest in it, like you used to get and certainly nothing about luggage collection.

Anyone know?

I was really pleased to see your post re the Dream. We are going too on the 29th Jan and have heard negative reviews - even saw a piece on the news about Norovirus outbreak on board and lots of passenger complaints etc about hygiene on board. Knowing that you are going again having been in November gives me hope! Thanks!:D

I was really pleased to see your post re the Dream. We are going too on the 29th Jan and have heard negative reviews - even saw a piece on the news about Norovirus outbreak on board and lots of passenger complaints etc about hygiene on board. Knowing that you are going again having been in November gives me hope! Thanks!:D

we have just got back off the dream and there was no norovirus that i was aware of and there were no problems with hygeine.just the embarkation that peed us off,apart from that minor problem we had a great holiday

Hi - see you had problems with embarkation. When we were on Destiny in Caribbean last year - both arrivals/departures were well organised with no delays as such but that was in the Dom Rep. What happens in Barbados then - we are off on the 29 January - so any advance information would be appreciated, then at least we are of aware what might happen!!!

I am interested too, where were you for the 2 hours, Jilljoy? A friend of mine who has just come back from Caribbean with P&O said they were bussed from airport to a large warehouse type building and had to hang around in there while they were processed! :eek:

And what happens now re luggage labels since they have gone onto e-tickets? When we went last year a Thomson Rep was at the airport and if I remember correctly identified all cruise passengers prior to check-in and I think we were given labels with cabin numbers to attach to our cases. Is that what's happening now - they will need to have cabin numbers on the cases before we leave the UK if we don't see them again until cases appear at cabins.

I am interested too, where were you for the 2 hours, Jilljoy? A friend of mine who has just come back from Caribbean with P&O said they were bussed from airport to a large warehouse type building and had to hang around in there while they were processed! :eek:

Yes, we have just done the P&O cruise from Barbados too and they do bus you direct from the plane to large warehouse type buildings adjacent to the ship, but you're never in there for long usually (at least we weren't with either P&O or Ocean Village years ago). Once you're checked in there, had hand baggage scanned and the usual photo taken, you board the ship.

Kruzseeka, on P&O we were able to print cabin labels at home and we got ours laminated and put them on the luggage prior to leaving for the airport. If Thomsons don't do that, I'm quite sure you will be able to attach labels to your luggage at the airport because you won't see it again once its checked in there until it arrives outside your cabin on the ship.

You will all have a wonderful time, enjoy! :)

At all UK airport, thomson have their own check in area. In this area will be a dedication deck or 2 for Thomson cruises which you need to head for. Before checking in and dropping your bags, there is usually a Thomson cruise podium all passengers need to report to where they check your documents and issue cabin numbers and luggage labels. This is how they identify what bags go off to the ship and what ones go into the terminal for passengers staying in Barbados. If you are staying then crusing, you will be given information about that too. Then you proceed to get your boarding passes and drop your bags. Does this all make sence?

you dont see your cases till they are delivered to your cabin,and you get straight off the plane and onto a bus which takes you to the ship(approx 25 minutes)the problem is that if your flight lands after 5.30 which ours and 3 others did there isnt time to check in on the cruise terminal.so what they did was directed you straight onto the ship and gave you a checkin card with a number on it and asked you to wait in the broadway show lounge,they called your number in blocks of 25 and you then had to go to the medusa lounge where the computer terminals were to give credit card details etc and get photo taken.this took approx 2hrs.

my advice would be to go to the broadway lounge and listen for the call,then see what number has been called and if yours is a couple of hundred numbers away then go and get some food at buffet,then return to broadway and if you have missed your number call just join the line at medusa.sorry if this sounds long winded but it saves you sitting like a lemon doing nothing.we spoke to some people who landed mid afternoon and the checkin only took 10 mins.

At all UK airport, thomson have their own check in area. In this area will be a dedication deck or 2 for Thomson cruises which you need to head for. Before checking in and dropping your bags, there is usually a Thomson cruise podium all passengers need to report to where they check your documents and issue cabin numbers and luggage labels. This is how they identify what bags go off to the ship and what ones go into the terminal for passengers staying in Barbados. If you are staying then crusing, you will be given information about that too. Then you proceed to get your boarding passes and drop your bags. Does this all make sence?

I assume you mean for Barbados only as I have never seen this arrangement before?

Yes thanks, it does - and thanks too to Essexlass, I was just wondering what the implications would be regarding the change of procedure with tickets but it appears not to be an issue. :)

Except the cruise on the Dream will not compare with Ocean Village..The Dream will be 100 times better...as we did the Oean Village few years ago....and swore never to go on that ship again

We were on a transatlantic on OV2 and loved the ship, might have had something to do with joining the executive club and getting away from the crowd. The cabins were better with more drawere space. However, I like the Dream and will cruise on her again.

Archived