Lamanai or Xuanantunich

mkgwhite

• 2 weeks later...
Which is the best ruins trip. Can you take a cab to sting ray city?

I took the trip to Lamanai but did it through the ship due to the time needed and tendering in that port. I made it back with enough time to get to the ship without being stressed about time. If you do go to either one book through the ship and you will be fine. Belize was the ONLY port I booked a ship's excursion in due to tendering and time.

No, you cannot take a cab to sting ray city. Despite the name what it is, is a sand bar in the middle of the bay. You have to go by boat and unless you charter a private one you would have to book through a tour company.

I went to Lananai with a private vendor in November. We were bussed to the river and then taken by motor boat to the ruins where we were given a picnic lunch and a tour of the ruins.

We enjoyed it, but I was stressed about time because we were about 45 minutes late leaving the port due to other cruisers being late to the meeting point. Then the boat was not ready for us when we arrived at the river and, as we were leaving the ruins, a couple held us up for another 20 minutes because they decided at the last minute that they needed to use the facilities as we were getting back in the boat.

As a result we were about 15 minutes past the time for the last tender, which was still loading when we arrived. Actually, we were not the last in line for the tender and then after boarding had to wait 45 minutes for other late comers since the port authority would not release the tender until they arrived.

If you decide to go to Lamanai, I would either do it through the ship or find a vendor with a faster boat as several boats passed us easily.

Xuanantunich is supposed to be better than Lamanai, but if you decide to go, I would only do it through the ship due to the distance.

If you decide to go to Lamanai, I would either do it through the ship or find a vendor with a faster boat as several boats passed us easily.

Thanks for your information. Could you please tell us which vendor you used, so we can avoid them?

I can offer some additional info on Lamanai and Stingray City. My DH and I just got back this past Saturday from a b-2-b, in the Western and Southern Caribbean with Princess.

Stingray City: On Grand Cayman, we did a private excursion from stingraysailing.com which we really enjoyed and would recommend over a larger tour. We were with 12 other tourists and were one of the first boats out in the morning before the crowds (yes, crowds!) from larger excursions arrived as we were leaving (and we were the only ship in port, so it was a slow day, they told us). We had plenty of time to hang out with the stingrays and (the braver-than-me) folks fed them minnows from their hands. After leaving the stingrays, they took us to the reef for snorkeling, which was pretty good.

Lamanai: We took the ship's excursion, which was excellent. There were about 35 of us on a bus for 50 minutes to New River, and then about 45 minutes' ride in an open-air boat to the ruins. On the way back, we had a pretty good lunch where we picked up the boat. The boat ride was great, and we were able to see monkeys, crocodiles, iguanas, and numerous birds. Although Lamanai is a relatively small site (only a third has been uncovered), it was definitely worth the long trip and the cost. Our guide was excellent and said he had worked on the excavations that were conducted in the 1980s. My DH climbed the High Temple (about 100 feet) which he thought was a scary thrill (only a rope to hang onto on the steep steps). The walk through the jungle was great, with howler monkeys swinging overhead and lots of birds calling. Very Indiana Jones-like!

Thanks, Chloe. While I generally try to avoid overpaying for the ship's excursion, for this one, I am going to bite the bullet and pay for the peace of mind that comes without having to stare at my watch all day, praying that we do not encounter any traffic or river delays.

We did the excursion to Xuanantunichthrough Carnival on our last cruise. It was a VERY full day, and we were cutting it close getting back to port. The price wasn't that much more (maybe $5-$10) compared to a local tour operator. This is the only excursion I've ever done through the ship and with time running out at the end of the day I was thankful that we'd gone that route.

The bus ride to the ruins is long but very interesting. The guides were friendly and knowledgeable and explained a lot on the way. Lunch was at a local restaurant on the way back, very tasty. Highly recommend the ship excursion.

Archived