Argentina Visas

anthony5050

The tax is reciprocal, meaning that the US decided to impose it on other countries first and Brazil, Argentina, and Chile, etc. then imposed it on us, in the same amount, but only AFTER we started it. Additionally, the US makes it very difficult to get a visa. For example, in Brazil, it has to be gotten at a consulate and there are only a very few in the entire country.

Not surprising that they feel "glee" to stick it to us back.

President Obama in a recent speech noted that the difficulty and cost of getting tourist visas severely impacts our tourism industry. People with money to travel are simply choosing to go elsewhere. Hopefully there will be some changes forthcoming that will provide for security in a post 9-11 world but also allow people who want to travel to be able to do so without the complications of expensive visas. This is a decision Congress will have to make.

Lets not forget that on our end those taxes underwrite part of the cost of locating those tourist who unfortunately.......ahem........forget to return home at the end of their stay. :rolleyes:

You won't find bands of disgruntled Americans roaming the pampas. :p

Lets not forget that on our end those taxes underwrite part of the cost of locating those tourist who unfortunately.......ahem........forget to return home at the end of their stay. :rolleyes:

You won't find bands of disgruntled Americans roaming the pampas. :p

Tactfully stated.

I like your writing style. Very surgical yet polite.

But the fee the US charges is actually not to cover the cost of locating the forgetful tourists. It's the cost of screening out the forgetful and of blessing the good ones. Explained at http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html "It covers the costs associated with processing a U.S. visa application".

Surely $140 does not cover the cost of searching for the forgetful ones. That has to be a much higher cost, and there is no fee for that, the US government provides that service as a courtesy. :)

The tax is reciprocal, meaning that the US decided to impose it on other countries first and Brazil, Argentina, and Chile, etc. then imposed it on us, in the same amount, but only AFTER we started it. Additionally, the US makes it very difficult to get a visa. For example, in Brazil, it has to be gotten at a consulate and there are only a very few in the entire country.

Not surprising that they feel "glee" in sticking it to us back.

I can certainly understand that EXCEPT for the fact that they are sticking it to the ordinary tourist, not to the government that instituted the system in the first place.

It all becomes rather circular ...

Mura

I can certainly understand that EXCEPT for the fact that they are sticking it to the ordinary tourist, not to the government that instituted the system in the first place.

They have repeatedly asked to be placed on the visa waiver program, and the US keeps denying them. How would they stick it to the government? Perhaps introduce a $1M toll on the only street leading to the US ambassador's home?

Well, of COURSE they can't stick it to to the government ... short of declaring war, and that wouldn't do them much good either.

And they can also calculate that if they stick it to enough citizens, maybe the U.S. government will change course. (Not that such as been the case to date.)

I just don't understand getting pleasure of sticking it to individuals who aren't the cause of the problem, that's all. I certainly can understand their objections to our policy. If I personally don't like another government's stance, I don't enjoy getting even with the citizens of that country.

That's all.

Archived