Can't find much to do - am I out of luck?

Mango Mike

We (wife, daughter and daughters friend - all adult) will be in Belize next month and as of yet haven't found anything to do :eek:.

We're not into cave tubing or zip lining so those excursions are out of the question.

We would like to do a beach/snorkel/relax type activity with maybe a little shopping if time allows. Would really love to find a catamaran sailing, but once again, no luck, and none of the excursions offered by the cruise line are really jumping out at us.

Seems like all the "good" snorkel/beach areas are on Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. This would be okay but didn't want to spend a lot of time and money getting there.

Anyone have any suggestions.

We too will be in Belize next month and can't find an excursion that we'd care to take.

We are going to make it a 'sea day' and enjoy an empty ship. This will be a great time to visit the spa, because on past cruises we've taken, the spa would offer special pricing on port days.

We too will be in Belize next month and can't find an excursion that we'd care to take.

We are going to make it a 'sea day' and enjoy an empty ship. This will be a great time to visit the spa, because on past cruises we've taken, the spa would offer special pricing on port days.

Thought about that as well, but from what I read, Belize is supposedly a beautiful country with outstanding beaches and snorkeling. Would like to see for ourselves if possible. If we can't find anything, we'll probably tender in - do a little shopping - grab a bite to eat and head back to the ship.

The best diving is difficult, if not impossible, to see as an excursion on a cruise ship, so that may be the same for snorkeling. Have you considered the Mayan ruins? If we were not going cave tubing, that would be our 2nd choice. The rest of our itinerary is filled with beaches, no need to seek one out in Belize as well :)

The best diving is difficult, if not impossible, to see as an excursion on a cruise ship, so that may be the same for snorkeling. Have you considered the Mayan ruins? If we were not going cave tubing, that would be our 2nd choice. The rest of our itinerary is filled with beaches, no need to seek one out in Belize as well :)

Thought a little about the ruins as well (keyword "little") but we opted against it. The vote is an overwhelming four to zero in favor of beach activities - thanks for the suggestion anyway.

too bad, the ruins are amazing...very indiana jones-type of day. plus the river trip with critters everywhere.

the cruise ships have beach days, where the tenders leave right from the ship and go to the caye. otherwise you have to take the tender to the tourist village and then the boat to the caye/island.

Why not visit Caye Caulker & spend the day there walking & looking.

It is a really laid back place with no paved roads, they are a sandy pathway & no sidewalks & no stop lights. Look it up online to see what is there.

You can get there via Coral Breeze Tours from the Tourist Village & you can read about their program at their site.

Or you may go by the local water taxis which are also available.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

We took a water taxi to Caye Caulker December 27 2011. It was right next to the cruiseship peir and had to exit out the terminal and head to the building right next door. They said it was a 30 minute ride but ended up more like 45 min. We walked through "town" to the split and had lunch and hung out at the Lazy Lizzard right at the spilt. The kids did some snorkeling and sunbathing.We did a bit of shopping and exploring and caught the 3pm water taxi back. Was a great easy beach day.The round trip water taxi was 17.50 each.

Just keep in mind when looking for a beach day in Belize that you are extremely limited and Caye Caulker probably isn't the type of "beach day" you are envisioning and the water taxi is about 45 minutes one way on a somewhat bumpy ride. Check out as many imagines online to see if it what you want. The only other beach option is Bannister Island, which is offered through some ships. Other than that, Belize City doesn't have a beach.

Pretty much what you see the ship offering is all that they have, even if you go with a private tour. Lots of what people envision Belize to be, from travel shows, travel books, etc, is too far from where the ship is docked unless you want to take one of those small, coummuter planes to get to places like the Blue Hole. At least this has been our personal experience.

I am traveling to Belize for Thanksgiving on the Liberty and are looking at excursions now for my family. I work with a girl who lived in Belize for 1 yr during High School (she's in college now so not that long ago) and she told me the snorkling with the sharks and Caye Caulker are the things to do in Belize. I figured if she lived there, she would know.

We have been to Belize a few times. I hired a female taxi driver to take me on a walking tour the first trip - very interesting to hear what it is like to live there from a local. My DH took a horse-riding excursion thru RCL. Since then we have gone onshore and walked around the shops then headed back on the tender to the ship where we played mini-golf, walked around the ship for exercise and enjoyed the pool areas.

Kathy:)

Yup- we're making it a sea day as well, though we may take the tender to eat lunch at Wet Lizard in the port area. Then we'll tender back over and enjoy a somewhat empty ship (except for all the other people who had the same idea!).

My kids and I spent the day on Goff's Caye last February. It was a great day...our favorite of the cruise. We are stopping at Belize again this February on the NCL Star and we keep trying to talk ourselves out of doing Goff's Caye again in favor of something new. We can't do it. We are so looking forward to visiting this primitive little island in the middle of the ocean.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/BelizeBeachSnorkeling.htm

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0279.jpg

Why not visit Caye Caulker & spend the day there walking & looking. . . . . Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

We took a water taxi to Caye Caulker December 27 2011. . . . .The round trip water taxi was 17.50 each.

Just keep in mind when looking for a beach day in Belize that you are extremely limited and Caye Caulker . . . . only other beach option is Bannister Island, which is offered through some ships. Other than that, Belize City doesn't have a beach. . . . . this has been our personal experience.

After doing some online research, I tend to agree, really nice beaches in this area are far and few between. Will check into Caye Caulker - might be a good option - Thanks.

On the other hand, I am reading that Belize is somewhat known for their rain forests, is an excursion here (if available) worth looking into?

Thanks

My kids and I spent the day on Goff's Caye last February. It was a great day...our favorite of the cruise. We are stopping at Belize again this February on the NCL Star and we keep trying to talk ourselves out of doing Goff's Caye again in favor of something new. We can't do it. We are so looking forward to visiting this primitive little island in the middle of the ocean.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/BelizeBeachSnorkeling.htm

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0279.jpg

THANKS!!!

Looks just like what we are looking for.

I emailed them for a reservation - one question, do they limit the number of guest on the island (looks pretty small)?

THANKS!!!

Looks just like what we are looking for.

I emailed them for a reservation - one question, do they limit the number of guest on the island (looks pretty small)?

You're welcome. :)

I don't know for sure. However, I know there are a limited number of vendors that offer this excursions, so I'm guessing it is capacity controlled. There were maybe 30 people on our tour and I guess there may have been another 20-30 on the island when we were there. It didn't seem crowded at all. It was a very nice, relaxing day.

I was out voted 3-1 :(.

I wanted to do the Goff's Caye excursion with Belize Excursions, the majority opted to go the Island Escape to Caye Caulker route with Coral Breeze.

Final question for anyone that has gone with Coral Breeze - How dependable are they (and their boats/equipment)? Our only concern would be making sure we make it back to the ship.

(although missing the ship and having to stay in paradise doesn't sound half bad)

We also took the water taxi to Caye Caulker and had a very enjoyable day. We rented a golf cart and explored EVERYWHERE...several times over. The only downside to the day was the torrential rain on the water-taxi's return trip.

We took a water taxi to Caye Caulker December 27 2011. It was right next to the cruiseship peir and had to exit out the terminal and head to the building right next door. They said it was a 30 minute ride but ended up more like 45 min. We walked through "town" to the split and had lunch and hung out at the Lazy Lizzard right at the spilt. The kids did some snorkeling and sunbathing.We did a bit of shopping and exploring and caught the 3pm water taxi back. Was a great easy beach day.The round trip water taxi was 17.50 each.

did you have to prebook this? was there a fee once you arrived at Caye Caulker? is so how much and what did it include?

Archived