Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Should of, should of, should of. I agree.

Bottom line is, most of those that responded were the closest to the site. If you are pulling people out of the water, do you wait for a command center to be set up to process "refugees", or drop the able bodied off at the nearest shore and go back for more "people".

The incident command system, and first responder system is a great idea. But it is only part of an emergency response.

In this situation the senior person on scene becomes the IC (Incident Commander) and takes command of the entire response. The IC will request resources from his immedeate HQ and will relenquish command once a formal EOC is spun up and ready. And even then the IC may not change and the EOC will simply support the IC at the scene.

it is expected that civilians will 'self dispatch' to a scene - however any 'professional' unit will move on upon dispatch orders. In the US the initial dispatcher is generally the 911 operator who took the call. Once the first responders arrive on scene the senior person whos skills are most relevant to the type of incident (such as a fireman for a fire) becomes the IC and then communicates to dispatch for the resources needed at the scene. Dispatch then evaluates resource availibity and dispatches the resources in such a manner that no other area is left uncovered. And resources dispactehed to the scene of the emergency then reports to the IC for both accountability and instructions.

BTW - I do have EOC time under my belt.

Should of, should of, should of. I agree.

Bottom line is, most of those that responded were the closest to the site. If you are pulling people out of the water, do you wait for a command center to be set up to process "refugees", or drop the able bodied off at the nearest shore and go back for more "people".

The incident command system, and first responder system is a great idea. But it is only part of an emergency response.

In this situation the senior person on scene becomes the IC (Incident Commander) and takes command of the entire response. The IC will request resources from his immedeate HQ and will relenquish command once a formal EOC is spun up and ready. And even then the IC may not change and the EOC will simply support the IC at the scene.

it is expected that civilians will 'self dispatch' to a scene - however any 'professional' unit will move on upon dispatch orders. In the US the initial dispatcher is generally the 911 operator who took the call. Once the first responders arrive on scene the senior person whos skills are most relevant to the type of incident (such as a fireman for a fire) becomes the IC and then communicates to dispatch for the resources needed at the scene. Dispatch then evaluates resource availibity and dispatches the resources in such a manner that no other area is left uncovered. And resources dispactehed to the scene of the emergency then reports to the IC for both accountability and instructions.

In the case of this incident the IC would request a resource package capabile of providing short-term meals, shelter and medical aid for 4200 people.

BTW - I do have EOC time under my belt.

I won't comment as it tends to upset folks, and since I laid low today the forum returned to being more civil and of course that is better for all, so I will just share without comment.

72.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

What system's tracking are these based on, and what is their source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since there was electrical malfunctions maybe it stopped the water tight doors from closing?

Those doors should have a manual overide option. But if the water was comming in to fast then that isnt possible either. With the looks of the damage down side of ship. the gash goes quite a distance that would expose to many comartments, so shutting doors would have no effect.

I can't verify the source, and I don't know how you use your chart plotters, but I always enter my last waypoint as my destination lat and long, so that I know my ETA for arrival. That is why you have a future date and time showing. In my case for pleasure sailing and not work, I would much rather enter a strange (new to me) port or anchorage during daylight hours, and with the sun either behind me or overhead.

I think you also have to fact in the media's reporting of this incident.

For instance this morning I heard a report that because the ship lost power passengers who were in their staterooms couldn't get out because the electronic system would have failed therefore making it impossible for them to open their doors.

If that was the case, and I'm sure it's not, then many more lives would have been lost.

So I would take only a percentage as fact at this stage with what we are hearing about this incident.

Jilly

that only applys to opening doors from hallway going into the cabin with your key card. Getting out of your cabin to leave you can still open the door manually with the knob. Im sure the key locks have a battery backup system so you can still get into the cabin. Also the cabins on the starbord side were under water and sure some people were trapped due to list of ship and water flooding in cabins. How long did it take for the ship to heel over?

I can't verify the source, and I don't know how you use your chart plotters, but I always enter my last waypoint as my destination lat and long, so that I know my ETA for arrival. That is why you have a future date and time showing. In my case for pleasure sailing and not work, I would much rather enter a strange (new to me) port or anchorage during daylight hours, and with the sun either behind me or overhead.

Cheers Deckofficer, so what do you make of the images. Are they likely to be a simulator showing that / how you could thread that needle?

I am happy to play this little game. (Disclosure: I am not a Master Mariner , so I don't know exactly what piece of equipment it is that these photos show - but I can kind of guess). Very clever stuff on ships these days - so I will guess that these photos are from another ship, which is in the shipping channel, whose radar is tracking Concordia (who is nearby). Something like that anyway.

Right or wrong please?? I can't stand the suspense! :rolleyes:

Barry

It came off the forum that I belong to and the OP would not or could not verify the source. Any scenario can be generated in a simulator, but full blown simulators are few and far between. CMA was the first on the West Coast to get a simulator and that wasn't till 1996. In the new digital age and solid state storage, I would think that there are a number of cameras on the bridge recording visually and more important, independently, the faces of a number of navigation aids but I have never been on a modern bridge.

If i was in that situation, i would of just climed up on the areas of ship not under water and just stayed there untill everthing settled. Then its just matter of sliding down into a resue boat the next morning.

Wow, this looks like the smoking gun. The fly-by salute had become something of a tradition and was memorialized in writing by the mayor of Gilgio. He even names someone higher up the Costa foodchain than the captain. Mario Palombo had best contact his lawyer.

It came off the forum that I belong to and the OP would not or could not verify the source. Any scenario can be generated in a simulator, but full blown simulators are few and far between. CMA was the first on the West Coast to get a simulator and that wasn't till 1996. In the new digital age and solid state storage, I would think that there are a number of cameras on the bridge recording visually and more important, independently, the faces of a number of navigation aids but I have never been on a modern bridge.

We should not assume these photos came from any official source or from the actual Concordia track with out some sort of proof saying it is. Based on the ETA and other information on the screen grabs, it appears to be a camera phone picture of a simulator on a computer screen. Taking it as anything more than that (or as the actual track) may be dangerous with out knowing its proper source.

We should not assume these photos came from any official source or from the actual Concordia track with out some sort of proof saying it is. Based on the ETA and other information on the screen grabs, it appears to be a camera phone picture of a simulator on a computer screen. Taking it as anything more than that (or as the actual track) may be dangerous with out knowing its proper source.

Look at the date in blue at top of each shot, not the ETA but at the top. It is a simulation run today. IMO

Obscure,

What part of post #1647 did you feel that I didn't explain "not a verified source?" But a little food for thought, considering the OP on my forum that posted the images, there is a sliver of a chance they were obtained in a clandestine manner. Since you are so good at researching anything related to cruising, why don't you check your sources and see if the date and time for a future waypoint coincides with any of the future port's arrival times?

Hmmm - in the world of Art, there is a thing called "provenance". It's a means of proving originality of a painting. Unfortunately, these photos appear to have no provenance. (and therefore could have been painted by anybody :)) Shame really - because they could have been the "smoking gun"

Barry

Archived