Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Look at the date in blue at top of each shot, not the ETA but at the top. It is a simulation run today. IMO

It's simulated route.

Photo 1 is going to waypoint 2. Dead center between the small islands.

The time is shown in blue at the top op the gps. 12:02:50 TTG (time to go) is 34 seconds to get to wpt 2 i.e. 12:03:24

photos 2-4 then switch to wpt 3 and ttg for reaching wpt 3 with photo 4 eta of 12:04:32 or 31 seconds from time of 12:04:01 shown in blue at top right of photo 4.

It's wrong to try to imply that this is somehow actual ship tracking of the Concordia. If it was even close, where is wpt #4 or was it simply going to stop at wpt #3?

This may have been posted earlier and elsewhere (it is getting difficult and tiresome to wade through the posts).

From Carnival Corp:

"In accordance with financial disclosure requirements, the company provides the following information: The company has insurance coverage for damage to the vessel with a deductible of approximately $30 million as well as insurance for third party personal injury liability subject to an additional deductible of approximately $10 million for this incident. The company self-insures for loss of use of the vessel.

A damage assessment review of the vessel is currently being undertaken to determine how long it will be out of service. The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer. For the fiscal year ending November 30, the impact to 2012 earnings for loss of use is expected to be approximately $85-$95 million or $0.11-$0.12 per share. In addition, the company anticipates other costs to the business that are not possible to determine at this time."

I can confirm that the keycard locks to the cabins are party battery operated (or at least there in case of an emergency) I know this because on my last cruise on the Diamond Princess last week, I went to my room one time and when I got there the door was open and he was playing around with the locks. I saw him changing the batteries, which he said were the emergency batteries. So people would not of been locked out or their cabins due to the power failure.

Hi All,

Been watching crew tell their storries one thing very interesting is that they have kept saying the media do not have all the facts, have put out incorrect information.

so nothing new there the media like a good story if missing a few facts well I am sure they will make up a few.

sad news is that they are reporting a child is one of the missing.

yours Shogun

Indeed, using the coordinates on those images, it places the vessel in the shipping lane to the West of the island?

Careful how you enter the coordinates. Those coordinates are actually just south of the two little islands.

http://boulter.com/gps/#42%2021.270%2C%2010%2055.751

If it can be determined that the Captain was negligent and he had done this particular action previously and the company knew about it but did not stop him, then maybe insurance won't pay out.

We heard here that a child was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this particular show-off was beyond the limits?

Do not take my private analysis for granted, but any captain normally wishes to stay clear of firm land and shallow waters. The Costa Concordia sailed way too close to Giglio. Whoever was at the wheel discovered this and made a desperate starboard turn. (Otherwise you do not just happen to damage your hull as from amidships to stern!) With two huge propellers and bow-propeller-assistance the ship turns reasonably quickly. Subsequently you get a rock stuck up your rear part, causing the ultimate inconvenience.

Eventually the responsible at the helmet obviously realized the precarious situation seeing the flashing on their very sophisticated electronic system and wanted to safely evacuate the passengers, i.e. save "them-selves" or just strand the thing. A very rough or sudden change of course - to steer to port (in double sense) made this tall ship tilt and considering the previous loss of ballast - the whole thing just tumbled over. A very normal thing actually happened. I have no confidence that the facts in due time will become common knowledge, but sense more presumably that unknown stones or reefs will be discovered - out of a sudden!

Regards from a former trawler-captain in that vicinity.

/D

If it can be determined that the Captain was negligent and he had done this particular action previously and the company knew about it but did not stop him, then maybe insurance won't pay out.

We heard here that a child was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this particular show-off was beyond the limits?

Do not take my private analysis for granted, but any captain normally wishes to stay clear of firm land and shallow waters. The Costa Concordia sailed way too close to Giglio. Whoever was at the wheel discovered this and made a desperate starboard turn. (Otherwise you do not just happen to damage your hull as from amidships to stern!) With two huge propellers and bow-propeller-assistance the ship turns reasonably quickly. Subsequently you get a rock stuck up your rear part, causing the ultimate inconvenience.

Eventually the responsible at the helmet obviously realized the precarious situation seeing the flashing on their very sophisticated electronic system and wanted to safely evacuate the passengers, i.e. save "them-selves" or just strand the thing. A very rough or sudden change of course - to steer to port (in double sense) made this tall ship tilt and considering the previous loss of ballast - the whole thing just tumbled over. A very normal thing actually happened. I have no confidence that the facts in due time will become common knowledge, but sense more presumably that unknown stones or reefs will be discovered - out of a sudden!

Regards from a former trawler-captain in that vicinity.

/D

This was actually my post, and my feelings about the fact that it's time to quit theorizing, since the truth of the entire accident will come out soon enough.

I'm a retired small yacht captain, and a retired commercial pilot. I have been very fortunate to have been in places that basically no passenger is allowed, because of my credentials, and past cruise experience.

I have read your points and agree with 98% agree with them. I also felt that in the beginning that Bob (deckofficer) came on to this forum, stating some things about a ships that fly flags of "convenience" that should the truth about the "Jones Act" be totally brought forth, we would have about 30 percent of the cruise ships running today, and the costs would be more than most passengers could afford. The hull insurance alone would destroy many cruise companies.

We have a family friend that started Princess cruises, and I remember his discussion of why he needed to register his new ships.......not in the U.S. or Canada (he purchased his first ships from a division of the Canadian Pacific Railway), but in Bermuda, or Nassau.

As I have mentioned before, the theories are flying, and I want to sit back and hear what the officials have to say, now that the black boxes have been turned over to officials, and it will not take long for some preliminary finding to come forth.

Again, my condolences to those that have suffered thru this tragedy. My first concern is for those not yet found, those that have died, and those that are helpless on an island in Italy, without any recourse from the cruise line.

Mr. Arison needs to step up to the plate, and make sure that Carnival, and Costa is doing everything in their power to ensure that the passengers of the ship that sunk.........are receiving everything that they need.

Human safety first........everything else second!;)

Rick

Totally agree, just didnt want you thinking I was splitting hairs on your thoughts.

rgds

:)

apparently this particular captain ( but also others) had engaged a sort of competition to see who got closer to "turistic" sites during navigation.

Locally we have news of persons reported safe and still missing, of the captain leaving the ship long before the passergers were all safe , of a delay of one hour before sending out the SOS.

And Carnival/Costa - if they knew of this particular custom of going so close to land - should have immediately stopped it and thrown out the guilty captain.

Terrible, terrible especially for the way passegers had to get off the ship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6slFRm5Ps

Well, if this doesn't settle it! Unbelievable!
The pictures load by Deck officer cannot be relied upon. I would strong urge members not to believe them. To the top right hand side of the picture is the information regarding the position, course speed and also a time stamp. The time stamp is indicating 16th of Jan, this is 3 days after the event. It is nothing more than mischief making by him.

Please be aware of this

We were on board and we survived, thank God! It was horrible but today finally Costa is helping us with travel plans and we are being looked after it seems. So thankful. Something we will never forget.
I am so glad that you safe and well now, it is good to see that you are beginning to get the help from Costa that should have been given immediately after the incident. I hope that you have a safe and comfortable trip back to Canada.

:):)

We were on board and we survived, thank God! It was horrible but today finally Costa is helping us with travel plans and we are being looked after it seems. So thankful. Something we will never forget.

Can't imagine what you experienced. Glad you made it off safe. Safe travels home!

With the fact that Costa are now attempting to clear themselves away from the actions of the Captain it will be interesting to see if any action is taken on the Senior management that were aware of the 'close sail bys' of the ship to Giglio on previous sailings, if they were aware of these sail bys then they would have the opportunity of stopping these and thus would through their inactions be also guilty of manslaughter.

It has also been indicated that the area is one of SSSI (Special scientific special interest) (Ecologial area) if this is the case and there is any spillage of fuel to the area then Costa/Carnival are likely to be severly punished.

It has now been reported that all rescue work has been stopped due to the boat slipping in the water. I hope that it stops and that they are able to continue searching for survivors.

Ditto on the "glad you are same comments"

Must have been horrible

David

Cruise company sees $85-95mn loss on Italy disaster

(AFP) – 30 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Carnival Corp, the owner of the luxury liner that ran aground off the Italian coast with the loss of at least six lives, said on Monday the initial cost of the disaster was $85-95 million.

The company said its priority was the "safety of our passengers and crew" and expressed condolences to the families of those who had died when the ship grounded and then pitched over to leave it half submerged late Friday.

"A damage assessment review of the vessel is currently being undertaken... The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer," it said in a statement.

"For the fiscal year ending November 30, the impact... for loss of use is expected to be approximately $85-$95 million.

"In addition, the company anticipates other costs to the business that are not possible to determine at this time," it said.

Carnival Corp is the parent company of Costa Crociere (Cruises), the operator of the ship, and is listed on both the New York and London Stock Exchanges where the stock slumped more than 17 percent in early trade.

The Costa Concordia ran aground off Giglio Island late Friday, with rescue services still working Monday to search the ship and surrounding waters.

About 15 people, including Italians, Americans and French nationals, are still missing after the massive ship hit rocks and capsized shortly after it began a seven-day Mediterranean cruise.

"It seems that the commander made errors of judgement that had serious consequences," said a statement Sunday from Costa Crociere, referring to Captain Francesco Schettino.

"His decisions in the management of the emergency did not follow Costa Crociere's procedures which are in line with international standards."

On Sky News 24 Italy Onorato is being interviewd.

He made clear that Costa was oficialy unaware of Giglio island fly by except for the night of August 9-10 2012, which have been authorized by them, in total safety.

About Schettino, he said that based on what the black box is indicating, he voluntarily changed the official approved route, without any authorization from Costa

About his leaving the scene before the last passenger was safe, they can only say that crew members say that he didn't leave before.

Onorato is still beeing interviewd live.

On Sky News 24 Italy Onorato is being interviewd.

He made clear that Costa was oficialy unaware of Giglio island fly by except for the night of August 9-10 2012, which have been authorized by them, in total safety.

About Schettino, he said that based on what the black box is indicating, he voluntarily changed the official approved route, without any authorization from Costa

About his leaving the scene before the last passenger was safe, they can only say that crew members say that he didn't leave before.

Onorato is still beeing interviewd live.

More than likely because of the video on the net that he has acknowledged the August sail by, did he actually say 2012 or is that a mistype.....

If it can be shown that there have been other sail bys then it will prove to be a 'porkie'

All the passengers/Crew are possibly going to contacted by the Italian Marine Accident branch to take statements as to their account of what happened/didnt happen onboard the vessel. If they feel that they might hold 'essential' information to the tradgic event then they should contact their own Accident branch (MAIB Here in the UK) and advise them so that they can contact the Italians

:)

Very glad that you got off the ship safely.

Have a safe trip home.

I don't envy what you went through.

Archived