Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Can you say Cruise Industry at a crossroads as big as the Titanic event?

This is as good a time to stop lurking and jump in as any...

Honestly, I think the cruise industry as a whole is not facing any kind of economic "crossroads". Safety crossroads, yes.... but economic crossroads, no. The industry has doubled in a decade. Cruising (in it's current form) is more popular than ever and for good reason. The ships plying the seas have never been more of an attraction (in and of themselves -v- ports of call [ex: Oasis, Allure, etc.]). That kind of industry growth is not likely to change because of one buffoon. As an example I'd note that plane crashes due to pilot error in resort destinations generally have little long term economic impact on other carriers or the destination itself. [but it can wipe out the crashed carrier... and I think Costa and Carnival Corp by proxy are facing some very difficult business conditions.

That's not to say there will be NO economic impacts. In the short run, until the news agencies cycle away from the story, there will be some reductions in bookings... especially Costa bookings :p but I think the long term impacts will be minimal, especially for a company like RCCL. And let's face it... people aren't stupid... they get that the 'Koncordia Kaptain and his Krew' are probably a tragic (and criminally negligent) anomaly.

I'd also like to address those who are reading this thread and are concerned about safety. Cruising is outrageously safe! Millions of passengers cruise a year and almost all return home without an incident greater than a cold buffet dish. I teach about the cruise industry and will be taking 28 students on a RCCL cruise at the end of the spring semester. I wouldn't take students anywhere that I thought was unsafe in any way shape or form. That's not to say you can toss out your common sense and/or street smarts when cruising... it's just that as a passenger on a modern cruise ship you have little to fear in term of ship incidents/sinking. The only rocky thing you will see close to the ship will be the rock climbing wall on the top deck.

Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Can you say Cruise Industry at a crossroads as big as the Titanic event?

I agree with the Professor.

It's NOT as big as the Titanic event. Extravagant cruising had just begun. The Titanic was the newest & best thing at the time. She was {supposedly} unsinkable! Concordia is no such ship. She's average in today's market.

The only rocky thing you will see close to the ship will be the rock climbing wall on the top deck.
Not exactly the best analogy to use on this topic. The worry of the cruisers appear not to be regarding the ships but that of some of the 'Rogue' officers found in various positions onboard.

The sail by from this ship turned tradgic, but this was only one of four admitted to have been done at some stage during his Captaincy.

The industry now has to come up with a method of restoring the faith in the Captains for its fare paying passengers.

rgds

:)

HI,

Sooooo, what about the stories about the Captain of the Serena taking over? Even if the Bosio we read about was "just" an officer on the Concordia, not the Captain of the Serena, the impression given was that he was a senior officer. :confused: The only officer mentionned here is a young junior officer.

i guess Bosio didn't wear uniform since he travelled as guest, therefore he was not identifiable as an officer ?!

Camelfred

As I and many others have said many times, it would be great if this thread could stay with the actual facts.

The trouble is that there are very few facts currently about this incident. But there is a tremendous amount of speculation and plain bovine excrement posts surrounding it.

The problem is that, when there is little information, people will try to fill that void with rumour and ill informed conjecture.

There are people on here, Deckofficer for one, that have knowledge of the industry, and they are providing us with, maybe not always, information about Concordia and it's situation but, maritime information in general. And that, I for one appreciate.

However, I am fed up with those that seem to demand an explanation now, as to what happened but seem not to be prepared to await a court case/enquiry which, in the fullness of time, will yield the answers.

I also get quite peeved with those ignorant statements such as:-

I won't cruise until the safety record improves.

There shouldn't have been a guest on the bridge.

There should have been a Muster before sailing.

It wouldn't have happened on another Continent.

Because wading through this dross, only make it harder to see valid and valuable posts.

Here!

People uploading this on youtube and calling it "Concordia flooding" etc. is one thing but CNN featuring it as new footage is another. Shame on them. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Norman

CNN has recently been criticized for firing its professional journalists and news photographers and increasing its use of unpaid and unvetted "citizen journalists."

This is as good a time to stop lurking and jump in as any...

Honestly, I think the cruise industry as a whole is not facing any kind of economic "crossroads". Safety crossroads, yes.... but economic crossroads, no. The industry has doubled in a decade. Cruising (in it's current form) is more popular than ever and for good reason. The ships plying the seas have never been more of an attraction (in and of themselves -v- ports of call [ex: Oasis, Allure, etc.]). That kind of industry growth is not likely to change because of one buffoon. As an example I'd note that plane crashes due to pilot error in resort destinations generally have little long term economic impact on other carriers or the destination itself. [but it can wipe out the crashed carrier... and I think Costa and Carnival Corp by proxy are facing some very difficult business conditions.

That's not to say there will be NO economic impacts. In the short run, until the news agencies cycle away from the story, there will be some reductions in bookings... especially Costa bookings :p but I think the long term impacts will be minimal, especially for a company like RCCL. And let's face it... people aren't stupid... they get that the 'Koncordia Kaptain and his Krew' are probably a tragic (and criminally negligent) anomaly.

I'd also like to address those who are reading this thread and are concerned about safety. Cruising is outrageously safe! Millions of passengers cruise a year and almost all return home without an incident greater than a cold buffet dish. I teach about the cruise industry and will be taking 28 students on a RCCL cruise at the end of the spring semester. I wouldn't take students anywhere that I thought was unsafe in any way shape or form. That's not to say you can toss out your common sense and/or street smarts when cruising... it's just that as a passenger on a modern cruise ship you have little to fear in term of ship incidents/sinking. The only rocky thing you will see close to the ship will be the rock climbing wall on the top deck.

Actually, I agree with you. The cruise industry is outrageously safe. I will cruise again and when I do I anticipate more attention to safety features, both from the crew and from me. Just as there are no guarantees in life there are always areas for improvement. And no matter what we rationally know to be true, the picture of that maga ship as she 'stands' now ---- haunting.

I've been wondering why they can't position two or three tug boats up against her to keep her pushed up on the ledge and prevent her from sliding down into the sea. Would that not work?

The tug boats would have a very hard time holding position in rough seas. You can't push on a ship on any old place. If you look at the side of a ship you will see signs that say, "No Tug".

DiunghyRacer, I have nothing about academics, as long as they apply to the situation at hand. I think that deckofficer (Bob) and I came to that understanding last night.

Rick

Following up on a question you asked of me, I'm home now and have the 2011 Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ship by Douglas Ward (the one at work is the 2008 edition).

In the 2008 edition it says the Costa Concordia has azipods. In the 2011 edition its says the ship has a conventional diesel/electric system. Perhaps I'll get the 2012 edition and see if it lists the Costa Concordia as being temporally out of service.

Actually, I agree with you. The cruise industry is outrageously safe. I will cruise again and when I do I anticipate more attention to safety features, both from the crew and from me. Just as there are no guarantees in life there are always areas for improvement. And no matter what we rationally know to be true, the picture of that maga ship as she 'stands' now ---- haunting.

I agree too and would have no qualms about sailing on any of the ships.

I would say though if there was one rule I would change, it would be to enforce the muster drill before any ship leaves port. I distinctly remember RCI making us do this on the three cruises I've taken with them. It's like you do when you fly. You don't have the situation where you get on a transatlantic flight, the plane takes off and about four hours into the flight you have the flight safety education?

The main thing we have to bear in mind are the lessons to be learnt from this (and there will be some!), and to spare a thought for those lost souls who one week ago were looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise, only to be snatched away so suddenly.

As for the conjecture about who did what and when to cause the accident, I'm reserving judgement until the thorough investigation is complete. It's very unlikely there will be a whitewash of this, when you consider the focus of this in the media, but also don't want a scapegoat for the sake of it.

Unfortunately, whereas the media have brought the information to us, they have also garnered us with ill-informed opinions, and also misinformation due to their lack of understanding of cruise ships. It doesn't help when they also keep comparing it to the Titanic sinking a century ago..

ScrozUK

As for the conjecture about who did what and when to cause the accident, I'm reserving judgement until the thorough investigation is complete. It's very unlikely there will be a whitewash of this, when you consider the focus of this in the media, but also don't want a scapegoat for the sake of it.

Unfortunately, whereas the media have brought the information to us, they have also garnered us with ill-informed opinions, and also misinformation due to their lack of understanding of cruise ships. It doesn't help when they also keep comparing it to the Titanic sinking a century ago..ScrozUK

I wholeheartedly agree.

I hope somebody comes up with a user friendly device that is basically a tracker for each and every person on board, just a simple card with a chip, its preferred that each and every passenger keeps it on them at all times.

The ship knows where each person is at all times and in the event of an emergency these bracelets or mini tablets become activated, they have an emergency LED light but most importantly they could have a screen with directional arrows pointing to the nearest muster station.

In the case of a fire or a severe llist some stations may be non usable, a computer can send signals to also allow an even dispersal of passengers to spread out so not everybody heads to one station.

And in the day of smartphone apps a program could be available in this same fashion available before boarding, plus instructions in any language.

Myself I would design my own if nothing else, a map of the decks and muster stations. Now I practically know nothing about cruise ships, the only one I have ever been on was the Queen Mary in Long Beach. So I have no idea if there is already such devices or apps.

I hope somebody comes up with a user friendly device that is basically a tracker for each and every person on board, just a simple card with a chip, its preferred that each and every passenger keeps it on them at all times.

The ship knows where each person is at all times and in the event of an emergency these bracelets or mini tablets become activated, they have an emergency LED light but most importantly they could have a screen with directional arrows pointing to the nearest muster station.

In the case of a fire or a severe llist some stations may be non usable, a computer can send signals to also allow an even dispersal of passengers to spread out so not everybody heads to one station.

And in the day of smartphone apps a program could be available in this same fashion available before boarding, plus instructions in any language.

Myself I would design my own if nothing else, a map of the decks and muster stations. Now I practically know nothing about cruise ships, the only one I have ever been on was the Queen Mary in Long Beach. So I have no idea if there is already such devices or apps.

How does the QM do there safety drill? Do they use cards?

Following up on a question you asked of me, I'm home now and have the 2011 Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ship by Douglas Ward (the one at work is the 2008 edition).

In the 2008 edition it says the Costa Concordia has azipods. In the 2011 edition its says the ship has a conventional diesel/electric system. Perhaps I'll get the 2012 edition and see if it lists the Costa Concordia as being temporally out of service.

Thanks for the follow up. Since you have the book, the sister ship to the Costa Concordia, which was origanlly going to Costa as well, but it turned out that Carnival needed her more, is the Carnival Splendor.

Could you look up and tell me the type of propulsion system the Splendor has in the 2011 edition.

And are you saying that the 2011 edition showing conventional diesel/electric, means that it's props and rudders, is this not correct??

You are my guiding light here. Thanks for taking the time to do the research.;)

Rick

The tug boats would have a very hard time holding position in rough seas. You can't push on a ship on any old place. If you look at the side of a ship you will see signs that say, "No Tug".

Well, every time I saw that phrase on a ship, it was usually on some sort of door or entry point into the hull. Which would definitely not be a spot to push on. I do think the whole underside of the ship is pretty much available to push against, although I don't think it would be possible to hold it in placevby doing so.

I think every ship (still sailing) out of the US requires a muster drill before setting sail??? (Can someone confirm this?) I know every cruise I have been on that is the case. But I can understand how that would be different in Europe where peolpe get on at different ports.

The QM is an awesome ship to visit, loved actually getting to go down and see the engine room and even the anchor it the water. My in-laws actually came over to the US from England on the QM in the late 60's.

Carnival actually owns a bunch of cruise lines including Holland America and Princess (I believe they own 10 cruise lines in the world).

We took her transatlantic in October and they didn't check cards. Our station was in the cafeteria and the drill itself was fairly standard. We were to bring our lifejackets and put them on once we were there.

Oops! You were making a job about the original QM, weren't you? Never mind.

I didn't ralize until last night that Carnivale Cruise Lines owns them.

Not exactly. Carnival Cruise Lines is owned by Carnival Corp. Carnival Corp owns several cruise lines.

They own:

Another example, Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited (RCCL) owns several lines, including Royal Caribbean International (RCI)

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

There are "Ship Mate" Android apps available with deck plans and other information about a range of cruise lines/ships (I downloaded the RCI one before my last cruise and it came in handy sometimes), but it doesn't have safety information, as they're created independently from the lines.

Archived