Fitness level required for ziplining?

pyrogy girl

My bucket list includes ziplining and the Roatan websites offer some amazing courses, but do I need a reality check? I'm a 49 yr young, 30 lb overweight, non-athletic female with average strength and stamina for my age. I know I can handle the hike to the site, what concerns me is the braking, landing on the platforms, ability to control the speed, etc. On our last trip to Mazatlan I did Parasailing off of a boat and loved every minute of it- partly because it felt so controlled and safe. Input from your experiences/observations of those with a similar lack of physical fitness to me would be appreciated. And, keeping ability in mind, is one Roatan ziplining course more suitable than the others? Thanks so much, your input will assist in checking off a bucket list dream, or, open my eyes and prevent me from making a terrible mistake! :)

My bucket list includes ziplining and the Roatan websites offer some amazing courses, but do I need a reality check? I'm a 49 yr young, 30 lb overweight, non-athletic female with average strength and stamina for my age. I know I can handle the hike to the site, what concerns me is the braking, landing on the platforms, ability to control the speed, etc. On our last trip to Mazatlan I did Parasailing off of a boat and loved every minute of it- partly because it felt so controlled and safe. Input from your experiences/observations of those with a similar lack of physical fitness to me would be appreciated. And, keeping ability in mind, is one Roatan ziplining course more suitable than the others? Thanks so much, your input will assist in checking off a bucket list dream, or, open my eyes and prevent me from making a terrible mistake! :)

You will have no problems at all! My parents and thier cousins, who are all in thier 60's did it and had a great time. Not all of them are physically fit in any way, but they didn't have any problems. Most of them would do it again, my mom, maybe not, my dad would if he didn't have to pay for it (cheep cheep) and the other two would do it again in a heatbeat! I would too!

Well, it's a go! Thanks to the hugely positive info found on this site I've booked ziplining. It will be followed by a trip to West Bay beach- where I will either be drinking frozen margaritas:) in celebration of my accomplishment, or, to nurse my jangled nerves and/or injuries!

On our trip to Costa Rica in 2010 we did a zip line.....16 lines !!!!

I was 54 y/o female , a lot more overweight than 30 lbs and not particularly active ;)

I managed just fine. The guides will help you click in and land on the platforms.

Twice I got going a little faster than I was comfortable with.....braking with my glove too soon and too much. Didn't make it all the way to the platform.

Once I did "hand over hand" myself but the second time the guide came out and got me :o

I will say I was exhausted afterwards..... it was hot and it was a bit of work. But I did it !!!!! and that was a big check mark off my bucket list :) Not sure I will do it again tho......

PS: schedule a nice massage afterwards ! I did and it was the perfect end to the day !

I see how *long* the ziplines are, but I can't find how *high* they are? And, is it more of a canopy zipping or a 'manmade' bunch of zips?

We did it in Alaska and the perches were attached to trees 150' high. WONDERFUL experience and I'm searching for something similar.

Archived