so this might be a strange question, but its been buggin me all day, lol

weezyreid

I did just in the last couple of hours see a report that said there "may have" been an equipment failure.

This being said, I think the captain would have said something about it when he was interviewed on TV.

yes, there was equipment failure.

after the sea water came rushing in!

the same will happen to your car should you drive it into the lake while trying to impress pretty girls...

see i feel like they are not takin the blame, but placing it on the captain, and maybe they are right, but its a bit early to throw it all on him!!!

i hope he isnt used as an escape goat, which does happen alot!!

Why shouldn't he take the blame? As the Captain he is 100% responsible and accountable for what happens on his ship.

As well trained as the captain is I would be shocked if he just screwed up. I guess its entirely possible. Ignoring a known charted route is just insane.

I would hope they would have some kind of depth finding equipment onboard, I had a nice one on my pontoon boat, kept me from ruining a couple propellers. :eek:

I hate the way the news is rushing to judgment on this whole thing. It would be very unfortunate if the same situation happened as it did on the Splendor.

I've known many Captains in my day and they can be an arrogant lot. They are human like the rest of us and no matter how good they are they can make mistakes, too. I've known two skippers that were excellent ship handlers but their own arrogance caused them to do things their way instead of by the book. It cost them their career (fortunately without costing lives in the process).

the same will happen to your car should you drive it into the lake while trying to impress pretty girls...

Or try to drive through flooded washes in storms.

Actually, I just read another report this morning from a UK paper that is not laying off of the 'electrical failure' report saying that it is unclear if the electrical problem came first or whether it was after the impact.

Of course, I am giving as much weight to the press right now that I give to all of the "experts" here on CC.

There is a black box and it will tell the tale.

By the way - I am going to say that Costa was negligent. I saw a late-night commercial for Slick 50 or some other engine additive and they sprayed a fire hose on the engine and it still ran. Why didn't Costa use Slick 50 or something similar? Then it would've run when a 20-foot wall of water came flooding in.

The "electrical problem" thing keeps cropping because the Captain announced that they "were having a technical problem" which sounds a lot nicer then "sorry folks, I think I just sunk the boat".

I read an interview with a Canadian couple that after the announcement thought "electrical problem my azz*".

*Canadian spelling.

The "electrical problem" thing keeps cropping because the Captain announced that they "were having a technical problem" which sounds a lot nicer then "sorry folks, I think I just sunk the boat".

I read an interview with a Canadian couple that after the announcement thought "electrical problem my azz*".

*Canadian spelling.

I believe we have missed the entire announcement, somebody has 'accidentally' erased it. The full announcement was:

"We are having an electrical problem due to the copious amounts of water pouring through a 15-20 foot high gash in the side of the ship from that rocky reef we sideswiped."

I believe we have missed the entire announcement, somebody has 'accidentally' erased it. The full announcement was:

"We are having an electrical problem due to the copious amounts of water pouring through a 15-20 foot high gash in the side of the ship from that rocky reef we sideswiped."

It was only 8-12 feet. That huge rock jammed in the side acted like a cork.

Looked bigger - almost 2 decks high big... and thank goodness it didn't act like a cork too well. If they didn't realize how much damage there was, they would've kept going possibly until it was too late to get to any shore.

Really! You really believe that. Look and study the picture this time. at the opposite end of the gash there is a big hole as well. I can assure you while the rock might have kept a bit of water out it was rushing in plenty fast enough.

Really! You really believe that. Look and study the picture this time. at the opposite end of the gash there is a big hole as well. I can assure you while the rock might have kept a bit of water out it was rushing in plenty fast enough.

Really! You don't think a wall of water 8-12 feet high is a lot of water???

Relax, we're just playing around.

the "electrical problem" thing keeps cropping because the captain announced that they "were having a technical problem" which sounds a lot nicer then "sorry folks, i think i just sunk the boat".

I read an interview with a canadian couple that after the announcement thought "electrical problem my azz*".

*canadian spelling.

:d:d:d

Guest LoveMyBoxer
By the way - I am going to say that Costa was negligent. I saw a late-night commercial for Slick 50 or some other engine additive and they sprayed a fire hose on the engine and it still ran. Why didn't Costa use Slick 50 or something similar? Then it would've run when a 20-foot wall of water came flooding in.

WOW! This is a joke right???? I just spit some of my morning coffee on the screen! LOL

In other words all that Sea Water Caused a bit of a 'short circuit' when it reached the generators!

WOW! This is a joke right???? I just spit some of my morning coffee on the screen! LOL

Just a moment of levity. There are so many other expert opinions, I thought I would add mine.

The admission of a joke on this site in no way is an admission of liability for any damage that may have been done to any computer screen, keyboard, or desk that said computer screen or keyboard may be sitting on in the even the user of said computer spits out morning coffee - or any other liquid.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Just a moment of levity. There are so many other expert opinions, I thought I would add mine.

The admission of a joke on this site in no way is an admission of liability for any damage that may have been done to any computer screen, keyboard, or desk that said computer screen or keyboard may be sitting on in the even the user of said computer spits out morning coffee - or any other liquid.

Just wanted to check if it was a joke! Sometimes on here, ya never know! LOL. Thanks for the morning laugh and no, I will not be suing for coffee on my screen! :p

Archived