Internet service Valor

Harley cruzer

Before it will recognize your computer on the network, you have to sign in and give them your info. Very similar to how the airport hotspots and Starbucks works. When you access the net, a re-direct kicks in and asks you to log in.

Tip - if you do take the laptop and want to browse the net or check e-mail, disconnect the service as soon as you are idle. Time not surfing remaining on a page counts against your time because youare still logged into the network.

If you need to check e-mail, it's best to configure Outlook or Outlook Express for this. You can download the mail and then sign off and read it all. You can type new e-mails and they will stay in your outbox until you connect again.

Before it will recognize your computer on the network, you have to sign in and give them your info. Very similar to how the airport hotspots and Starbucks works. When you access the net, a re-direct kicks in and asks you to log in.

Tip - if you do take the laptop and want to browse the net or check e-mail, disconnect the service as soon as you are idle. Time not surfing remaining on a page counts against your time because youare still logged into the network.

If you need to check e-mail, it's best to configure Outlook or Outlook Express for this. You can download the mail and then sign off and read it all. You can type new e-mails and they will stay in your outbox until you connect again.

Thanks for the tip Phlydude here are the prices from the carnival website

Charges for the following services will be billed directly to guest's Sail and Sign Account as follows:

A one time activation fee is $3.95.

To obtain a temporary account while on board, the set-up charge is $3.95.

To print information, the charge is $.50-per page.

To utilize the service of the Internet Cafe, whether using a private workstation, renting a laptop or using the guest's personal laptop, the charge is:

$.75-per minute.

Block of Minutes (no refund for unused minutes):

3, 4 or 5 Day Cruise

30 minutes for $16.50 (.55 per minute).

60 minutes for $24.00 (.40 per minute).

7 Day Cruise or Longer

100 minutes for $55.00 (.55 per minute).

250 minutes for $100.00 (.40 per minute).

To rent a Wireless Internet Card for a guest's personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day. To rent a Laptop, the charge is $35.00 per day; optional insurance is $10.00 per day

The wireless on the Valor is shipwide however it is not very good. My laptop is set to detect available wireless signals but it would not detect the service on the Valor. I took my laptop to the "The Web" and the guy had to force my laptop to work with their service. The thing that made me mad was that I know my laptop and I know wireless since it is something we do in my business. The guy in "The Web" treated me like I was stupid.:mad:

Each time I logged on I had to force my laptop to connect to their service. I also had to sit in a specific place in my stateroom to pick up the signal. Two days after I complained they bumped up the signal strength.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the Valor and had a great time but I needed to check e-mails for my company and this part was frustrating. This is one area they really could work on.

The wireless on the Valor is shipwide however it is not very good. My laptop is set to detect available wireless signals but it would not detect the service on the Valor. I took my laptop to the "The Web" and the guy had to force my laptop to work with their service. The thing that made me mad was that I know my laptop and I know wireless since it is something we do in my business. The guy in "The Web" treated me like I was stupid.:mad:

Each time I logged on I had to force my laptop to connect to their service. I also had to sit in a specific place in my stateroom to pick up the signal. Two days after I complained they bumped up the signal strength.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the Valor and had a great time but I needed to check e-mails for my company and this part was frustrating. This is one area they really could work on.

While people like you and I may understand how to connect and look for available networks and such, the realization is that most people out there are clueless when it comes to technology. Even people in the tech field (my wife's former boss - in his late 30s) looked at me like my skin was peeling off after I told them I set-up a wireless network in my home. The question was, "How did you do that???"

Shame of it is that while I am a techno-geek, hooking up a home router is just a little more complex than setting up a wireless phone and programming the time on a VCR (if you want to secure it!) People get scared by the technology and don't want to touch it.

So while this guy was speaking to you like you didn't have a clue, the fact is that he was just playing the odds because 8 or 9 times out of 10, the people coming to him don't have the slightest clue.

Archived