do you and your s.o. part ways on the ship?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Most definitely we do. We take a sticky note pad and leave msgs to eachother throughout the day if we are apart, and always set up a time to meet later. Works for us. DH would be sooooooo bored laying out on the sundeck :D.

That's exactly what we do. All heck would break loose if I forgot to pack the sticky notes!!! ;)

Gee, I guess we are the exceptions to the norm - we rarely do anything separate on a cruise. Cruising is usually our "reconnect" time - DH travels a ton for business so he is gone a lot, I am heavily involved in kids booster clubs at school, have 2 16yr olds + 1 25yr old living at home and recent college grad just moved out. Cruising, for us, is like having a 5 to 7 day "date", and we love spending all that time together just for us. :)

We do both. Breakfast together, Then I will usually find a spot to camp out at at table on lido near the pool area but in the shade with book and drink. I will read and people watch. DH will wander around come find me and sometimes he'll sit with me and people watch or read. Then I might wander around and then head back to read. Some times we lunch together sometimes not. Dinner together and usually the evening shows together.

Port times we go together but if we hit a beach he will be in the water and me in the shade and then we might switch. If it is a snorkel trip we are both out there.

Now our son is in the mix. Sea days he spends a little time in the pools with us and a round of putt putt and then he wants to go to camp. We try to spend mornings together and meals afternoons and evenings depends on what is going on.

Just wondering if you and your spouse ever go do different things individually, like he watch a sports game and she lay by the pool? Sometimes I like a little "me only" time but when I suggested this to hubby last time he felt slighted!:confused:

All the time. We are not glued to each other at the hip. We both have different interests and often will do different excursions. Many times one stays on the ship while the other is ashore, etc.

Not a big deal at all.

Ugh! Ignore the person who wrote "separate vacations" :mad:

Healthy realtionships know what a good balance feels like without smothering each other. There are certain things we ALWAYS do together: meals, shows, excursions. During the days at sea, we do whatever makes us relax-- I like the spa and I like to read. He likes napping, watching TV and believe it or not...shopping! Having a couple hours apart during a sea day, means meeting back at the cabin later for a little fun ;)

Yes. She tires and I never do. So she may nap or stay in a cabin and read a book. We are not pool people (never have had a dog in the chairhog fight) so if she is off having quiet time, I wander around and find something to do. We are alwys together off the ship. On all of my HAL cruises she rarely goes to a show and I always go.

DF and I do our own thing from time to time on our cruises. He likes to watch sports, I don't. He likes to play on the slot machines, I don't. I like to play bingo and roulette, he doesn't.

We also cruise with our 2 year old so we give each other an hour for ourselves so one of us can do something we enjoy while the other watches him. My mom cruises with us also so she gives us time to do things together (have a drink, watch a show, & such) while she watches our son. Our son will be able to participate in Camp Carnival this year so I'm looking forward to some alone time with DF and also "me time".

I don't think it's unhealthy for two partners to spend some time alone. Plenty of couples sail alone with friends & not everyone enjoys doing the same activities. I think something would be wrong if two people spent more time apart than actually together though. There needs to a balance and an understanding between both people involved.

Just wondering if you and your spouse ever go do different things individually, like he watch a sports game and she lay by the pool? Sometimes I like a little "me only" time but when I suggested this to hubby last time he felt slighted!:confused:

I love your screen name!!! My husband and I used to spend all of our time together on the cruises. Now we set a time to meet each other to eat, play dominos, walk the deck, etc.. He loves to sit and talk to people, and I love to walk around the ship, sit and read a book, etc.. :)

Hubby and I are pretty much together all the time. He is active duty Army and gone roughly every other year for 12+ months at a time so when he is home we are pretty much attached at the hip. We have also been married for 14 yrs. with no kids and we still live each others company!

not often. he doesnt like laying out so he will sit at a nearby table in the shade reading his geek books :D

Ditto. Not often for us either...we pretty much spend all our time together on a cruise. I guess we like the same things, except for the sun. :)

DH and I spend about half of our sea day time together...sometimes even more than that. We always eat meals together, usually sunbathe together part of the morning, and do drinks, shows, etc in the evening. We sometimes go different ways in the afternoon. DH loves an afternoon nap and I usually can't stand thinking of what I might be missing so I might go off with the kids to do the pool/waterslide or just explore.

On port days we spend more of our time together.

We've been married 12 years now and we spend just as much time together as we did when we were first married, so I'm not sure it has much to do with how long you've been married.

Yes, we do stuff apart every day.

I love karaoke and the piano bar and he likes the shows and listening to the solo entertainers.

That is one of the great thing about cruising, everyone can do their own thing....

Why would that make you angry? There are probably many very happy couples who enjoy vacations without their significant other. Who is to judge what makes their relationships healthy or otherwise?

Because it isn't a HELPFUL response to the OP.

My husband and I have cruised just the two of us and in the past with our kids. The ships have such a variety of things to do ( or not do anything) we often will be in different parts of the ship. We do like to do some things together . Again it is what you make it. Anything goes.

Archived