Stupid ABC/News Media

discjoker

I am watching the ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and she keeps referring to the Costa Condordia as the "Carnival Concordia". Yes, Costa is owned by Carnival Corporation & PLC but it was not a Carnival ship.

Besides the ABC instance, I have heard it on other news outlets. I really don't think this is a mistake, I think it is much more sensational (and they know this) if they refer to it using a well known, "household name" such as Carnival. Just something that is annoying me...

I didnt see that, but I expect ABC and news anchor will be hearing from Carnival very shortly to get things "right"!

For that matter the first I heard of this horrible event, was here on Cruise Critic. It was Saturday evening, and yet I kept checking CNN, and no news there, and then back to our Canadian News Channel, and all I got was the Canadian Liberal Convention, and on CNN it was all about the runners for the Republican leadership!

A huge cruise ship was sinking in the Mediterranean, with over 4000 people aboard, and neither of our news medias were "on it"!

Im not surprised that same news media is not getting their facts straight even this many days later! It was Sunday morning here, before any tv news stations began relating this news story.!

I am watching the ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and she keeps referring to the Costa Condordia as the "Carnival Concordia". Yes, Costa is owned by Carnival Corporation & PLC but it was not a Carnival ship.

Besides the ABC instance, I have heard it on other news outlets. I really don't think this is a mistake, I think it is much more sensational (and they know this) if they refer to it using a well known, "household name" such as Carnival. Just something that is annoying me...

You hit the nail on the head.

I couldn't believe it. I was screaming at my screen, "No..No.. Please get it right." she even went so far as to say this would affect future booking, especially Carnival!!! I was ticked off about that. I hope they correct this before the 11 o'clock news.

She is just reading the words on a teleprompter, things someone overworked and underpaid producer wrote for her.

No one is saying Diane is at fault, however ABC News has the staff and resources to get it right (considering the rip 'n' read copy from the wires has it right). It really is an inexcusable mistake.

I don't think it's a mistake either. Sensationalism sells. Also, the reports I'm seeing for the most part are nothing but lazy journalism. You can tell that many so-called journalists simply regurgitate information found on Costa's website or received from Costa and/or Carnival Corp via press releases. They do very little investigative reporting. Granted, it is a bit early, but still......

Just goes to show you,

you can't belive what you see or hear on TV!

Saw the same thing and made me mad as well. :mad:

Exactly...that's why for the past two days some people on CC have jumped to so many conclusions based on what they've seen or heard on a news channel, even though none of us know exactly what happened yet.

ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX - it doesn't matter they have all made incorrect references - which is one of the reasons earlier today I asked when is Carnival CORPORATION going to issue a statement?

While it appears they have now issued an appropriate statement about the loss of life - one can only hope they have sent statements to the news agencies asking them to clarify their reporting.

In general - if our media was worth anything today (and they are not) - we would see stories that explain the corporate ownership and the difference in maritime law and rules .. and suggest that all cruise lines need to be revisiting their procedures.

While it's very clear that people are upset about ABC calling the ship Carnival Concordia, what real difference does it make? Will it take any enjoyment away from you on your next cruise? If it does effect the cruise industry and bookings are down, you can expect to see price cuts which will enable you to cruise more! What's the big deal, so they sensationalized, whoopie.

I caught that too, annoyed me as well. When she signs off she should then say " Diane Swayer reporting for Disney" after all that's ABC's parent company.....

CNN did it yesterday - although it was the anchor asking questions of the reporter there. He also asked why people had to swim 2 1/2 miles to shore.

Just take Diane Sawyer and Disney Nightly News at face value.

It may not make some happy referencing the Concordia as a Carnival ship, but it technically is. Costa Cruises is wholly owned and under the control of Carnival Corporation & PLC - so the Concordia is owned by Carnival (along with 100 other ships).

Costa Cruises also falls under the exact same stock trade name as Carnival (CCL). So anything that happens on Costa directly impacts and influences their owner Carnival and how it does financially.

It's unfortunate, but those are chances you take when you buy out, merge, and expand into the biggest Cruise Ship Corporation in the World.

I heard that and I kept thinking "what a dumb a**" I mean the same thing I told my husband is yes Costa is owned by carnival corp, but they are their own company. Just like Princess is part of carnival corp but we don't call it the Crown Carnival instead of the crown princes.... These news outlets can get so carried away.

Archived