Has anyone else been told this for ES rate?

QLUVS2CRUZ

I initially booked our August 2012 cruise with the Past Guest rate, because not everyone in the extended family had booked yet, and I wanted to be able to change with no penalties until everyone for sure had their reservations. I booked two cabins, and the Carnival rep told me I could switch to ES if it was still available, at a later date, which I've also read here that people have done this.

I called a couple of weeks ago to add 2 more people, and at that time the whole family was booked. I asked about switching to ES rate and was told by the rep on the phone that I could but I'd have to give up my current cabins.

Is this correct?:confused: I didn't think people had to switch cabins to switch to ES.

When I book early saver I seem to have a very limited selection of cabins. Last year I booked a year in advance of the cruise date and still had very limited selection. I get the feeling that early saver gets you the least desireable cabins. :mad:

My guess is that your current cabins are a higher class cabin than that which you can get using the early saver rate.

When I book early saver I seem to have a very limited selection of cabins. Last year I booked a year in advance of the cruise date and still had very limited selection. I get the feeling that early saver gets you the least desireable cabins. :mad:

My guess is that your current cabins are a higher class cabin than that which you can get using the early saver rate.

Did you do it online? Online they only show 10 cabins. Which 10 is anyones guess. But if you talk to someone they have the full range of cabins available. So northgeorgia- if you aren't happy about your cabin- call and see what else is available. Usually they won't charge you anything to switch cabins even within your class of cabins. Upgrading will obviously cost more unless the prices have dropped.

Not sure I agree. When doing a mock booking, one can input their choice of forward, midship or aft on all these different decks. Seems like quite a range of choices.

Did you do it online? Online they only show 10 cabins. Which 10 is anyones guess. But if you talk to someone they have the full range of cabins available. So northgeorgia- if you aren't happy about your cabin- call and see what else is available. Usually they won't charge you anything to switch cabins even within your class of cabins. Upgrading will obviously cost more unless the prices have dropped.

This is good information...I will give it a shot! Thanks.

LOL...it's a moot point for me, at least today. I just checked the CCL website and did a mock booking. Past Guest rate is gone for the cabin category we have booked, and the ES rate is $100 more for the two of us than we initially paid. Guess I'll stick with what I've got for now!

From what I understand, yes it seems like certain cabins are certain fares (i.e. Early Saver, Choose your own, past guest). It sounds like the cabins you chose using Past Guest aren't available for Early Saver, sort of like when you choose an airline seat...certain seats require certain fares.

I would ask if the rooms you booked were only available for the Past Guest rates (or higher) and see what else is available for what you want :)

Hope this helps!

EArly saver rates are not always available for every category. YOur particular cabins may not be in a category that is offering this rate.

Actually when I just went to the website to do a mock booking, the ES rate was available for the five cabins right next to the one I already have booked...so I probably could have switched when the price was still lower...oh well...live and learn.

ES rates are capacity controlled.

I booked ES at 14 months out and got a great room, great location (8C). About 6 weeks after I booked, the 8As dropped off of ES, yet on other rates, lots of 8As available. In another six weeks, 8Bs were no longer available on ES and the 8Cs disappeared off the rate as well before ES dropped off at 5 1/2 months before sailing.

It might be possible then, that the category you are booked in is no longer available at the ES rate? If so, it would make sense you could not switch to the ES rate.

I initially booked our August 2012 cruise with the Past Guest rate, because not everyone in the extended family had booked yet, and I wanted to be able to change with no penalties until everyone for sure had their reservations. I booked two cabins, and the Carnival rep told me I could switch to ES if it was still available, at a later date, which I've also read here that people have done this.

I called a couple of weeks ago to add 2 more people, and at that time the whole family was booked. I asked about switching to ES rate and was told by the rep on the phone that I could but I'd have to give up my current cabins.

Is this correct?:confused: I didn't think people had to switch cabins to switch to ES.

Okay, I think all that happened is the ES fare rate has gone up since your original booking. I know our ES fares booked last month for Dec. '12 have already gone up $40pp.

Early saver rates are available for a certain period of time in advance of a sailing. We have booked the very most desireable cabin under that rate twice.

Next time the OP should just call back and talk to someone else...never heard of giving up your cabin to change rates. Just like you don't have to give up your cabin when you apply for a price drop.

There are no restrictions on which cabin you can book under Early Saver assuming that Early Saver is available for the cabin category. If there are 10 cabins listed in a certain category there is a very good chance there are more than 10 available. The only way to know for sure is to input each cabin individually as if you were making a booking. If it allows the booking to proceed then the cabin is available. If you can't book it then that cabin is not available. No place shows more than 10 cabins per category. You can change cabins within a category when booked under ES (eg. 8A to 8A) with no penalty and with no price increased. You can always upgrade with no penalty but have to pay the current price and you cannot downgrade.

We book ES all the time- 1 year out and 20 months out and all times it appeared we had total selection. Idea: go on line, like you were booking a regular fare and see cabins available and then go back and do ES-my guess,is they are the same rooms. I think I will try it myself.

Archived