Cruselines

Travelw

Which cruiseline is better for Alaska, Princess or Royal Caribbean. We have sailed both in the Caribbean, but Alaska is different. This is our first cruise to Alaska and want to make an educated decision. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Dennis

Which cruiseline is better for Alaska, Princess or Royal Caribbean. We have sailed both in the Caribbean, but Alaska is different. This is our first cruise to Alaska and want to make an educated decision. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Dennis

Hi Dennis!

There are too many options to give a simple answer. Will you be adding a land portion (either independently or through the cruise line)? Princess has their own lodges. What is most important to you - food, service, price, a party atmosphere, etc.? Is there a reason why you are not considering other lines like HAL, RCCL, or Celebrity (our favorite). What ports do you want to visit? When will you be going? What is your budget not only for the cruise but for the excursions?

There is a lot of good advice on these boards. Check it out, do a lot of homework on your own, get a really top-notch TA that knows Alaska, and get ready for a great cruise!

With the caveat that Mike's advice is great, we have cruised Alaska with Princess and with Royal Carib and IMHO only, Princess (or HAL) hands down. But that's just my opinion. On the cruise portion the Royal Carib ship had no naturalist onboard and the staff knew basically nothing about the ports of call (which they should, newbies esp. have questions). They also didn't schedule meals etc. around ports and the buffet was often closing for a late day "break" just as most people were coming back onboard after a long day ashore.

Good suggestions above. :) But there are factors outside of the ship that are important to consider. Ports, route, time in ports, glacier, price. I find Princess less desirable for me now- their one ways include Whittier- I greatly prefer Seward, they no longer sailing round trip Vancouver and the Seattle round trips have too much outside passage sailing for my preferences and no Glacier Bay. EVERY choice will involve a lot of compromises, make informed choices for your desires. The more you know the better. :)

BQ

Why do you prefer Seward to Whittier? I really want to do a one way in 2006 and Princess has everything I want except they sail from Whittier. I don't particularly have a problem with this, but I don't know much about it.

Thanks for the info...

Bellebaby

Just endless excellent activites in Seward. With my top recommendation a Kenai Fjords boat tour- far superior to anything viewable from your cruise ship and wonderful varied wildlife. Just my opinion. Whittier is excellent for glacier viewing and I go there every trip either taking the ferry to/from Valdez or a boat tour. But it is fast and easy from Anchorage. It makes better use of time if going on a cruise not to have to back track to/from Whittier/Anchorage to get back and forth to Seward.

My wife and I prefer the Radiance class ships of RCCL vs the Coral class of Princess. We do want to do a land option before or after the cruise. We do not want to sail on the Vision class ships from RCCL, there are not as many Balcony cabins and the ones they have are more expensive.

Dennis

Archived