Has anone done a "short break" cruise?

Mum81

I am considering doing a short break cruise and was wanting to hear from anyone who has done one of these in the past.

Did you choose a lower grade/cheaper cabin than you would normally go for, due to the short length?

Do you receive the same treatment/service/facilities on board or are these restricited or limited to certain things? eg. do they still have a ship photographer working? Do they still celebrate with a sail away party?

Do they have any cocktail/theme nights or are they just "ordinary" nights due to short length of cruise?

And finally, what tends to be the demographic on these shorter cruises? Family or young singles? Older couples? Mixed?

As always, I appreciate any advice you have :)

I am considering doing a short break cruise and was wanting to hear from anyone who has done one of these in the past.

Did you choose a lower grade/cheaper cabin than you would normally go for, due to the short length?

Do you receive the same treatment/service/facilities on board or are these restricited or limited to certain things? eg. do they still have a ship photographer working? Do they still celebrate with a sail away party?

Do they have any cocktail/theme nights or are they just "ordinary" nights due to short length of cruise?

And finally, what tends to be the demographic on these shorter cruises? Family or young singles? Older couples? Mixed?

We did a 3 night on Pacific Dawn out of Sydney. There was one formal night, everything pretty much the same as a longer cruise, like the shows etc.... we found there were mainly women (lol) groups of friends from work etc...The men were certainly out numbered. Not many kids and not many older people.Quite a lot of singles. Was great but went way too fast.. If you have any queries, I will try and answer. Fiona:)

Hi,

Haven't done one yet, but have booked one for Feb. I also am wondering some of these things, but if they don't get answered I will anser for you after the 9th February:)

I've done a few of these. Which one were you considering? Who are you intending on travelling with? If P&O the answers are as follows:-

Did you choose a lower grade/cheaper cabin than you would normally go for, due to the short length? Always. Sometimes your lucky and get upgraded.

Do you receive the same treatment/service/facilities on board or are these restricited or limited to certain things? eg. do they still have a ship photographer working? Yes Do they still celebrate with a sail away party? Yes, if it's not raining (as any normal cruise) It is no different to a regular cruise. Same things you have to cram into a shorter time :D

Do they have any cocktail/theme nights or are they just "ordinary" nights due to short length of cruise? Everyone I have been on have had a formal/cocktail night. No "theme" nights though. They are usually of 3 nights duration, so the 2nd night is the cocktail night.

And finally, what tends to be the demographic on these shorter cruises? Family or young singles? Older couples? Mixed? Honestly, lots of big drinking with people trying to cram as much partying into two nights. Mixed crowd but top heavy with lots of girls groups, hens parties, reasonable amount of 21-25's, not many guys, and the rest couples - hardly any children or walking frame types.

They serve a purpose. It depends on what you are after though.

Been quite a while since I did short cruises but a couple more things I found - they often book out quickly and not always the cheapest option.

Most of the ones I did went from Sydney and hugged the north coast - one went around Lord Howe. I always found it more "bumpy" than heading to the South Pacific and the shelter of many of the islands.

Someone also told me - the longer ther cruise the older the passengers

I was in my 30's & 40's when I did all my short cruises and loved each and every one - even the couple on the Russian ships

Di

Archived