SUGGESTION a quick access 'in case of emergency pack'

rog747

a suggestion for fellow cruisers...

when i travel in hotels or i fly i always take an LED small torch with me and keep it close and handy...

by my bedside or with me on take off and landing.

i am ex-airline and things ALWAYS go wrong when you are not expecting it.

i was in a hotel in a cold Weymouth last week and fire alarm sounded at 0545 so

i grabbed my keys phone wallet TORCH, warm clothes and shoes on and ran downstairs...it was a real alarm, fumes from fan heater in empty bedroom.

may i add that in a full hotel of around 80-100 guests ONLY 3 of us responded to the fire alarm and came down. (one girl in jimjams and no shoes! but at least she responded)

So, when i cruise next i intend to make up a SMALL WATERPROOF BAG to leave in the cabin to GRAB in a hurry ALONG WITH MY LIFEJACKET should an emergency arise...

TORCH, WHISTLE, LAMINATED COPY OF MY PASSPORT AND INSURANCE DOCS, A CREDIT CARD, KEYS, SOME CASH, MY PHONE (IF YOU DON'T KEEP IT ON YOU 24/7 ANYWAY!) BAR OF CHOCOLATE AND A SMALL BOTTLE OF WATER

it can be left somewhere close by in a cupboard/drawer near the cabin door and assuming you CAN get back to the cabin you grab the bag and your life jacket then get to the muster station or boat decks as situation allows.

i hope this is non-dramatic nor reactive, its purely common sense, being aware of your surroundings when things can go wrong very quickly and often unexpectedly.

cheers rog

I keep a flashlight that uses aa batteries. A fenix ld10 or similar. I keep ID, cash, credit card a whistle, Chapstick, sunscreen, and a soft large round-brimmed hat. And a bottle of water and http://www.amazon.com/Datrex-3600-Emergency-Food-Bar/dp/B001CSAHW0 I also keep a knife and a waterproof bag to put a cell phone into if time permits.

I keep that in a dedicated bag in my car, and anytime I go on the water. As a matter of fact I keep all of that in my OWN lifejacket that I bring on chartered fishing trips in the gulf of Mexico. I get many looks. I simply tell them I'm obsessive about providing for myself in an emergency. Most of them ask what's in it and why, and after I tell them they say they will make sure to swim by me.

In salt water you would kill someone for lip balm and sunscreen and a hat.

As a firefighter and former police officer I always have a Streamlight,,,the TSA always have to take it apart and I know they dont like it but I dont care. I usually have my backpack packed for the next day so I can use that. It has light,1 large bottle of H2O,shorts,towel and 1 credit card,Drivers lic. I would not have given my passport to any ship. That is crazy. Once on the ship I get a knife in my room.

Im a former marine and police officer. I know what panic, catastrophe and poop planning gets you.

yes planning is the art....

taking a few minutes to do it and then familiarize your surroundings will save your life

I was just thinking about this last night. I thought I would keep a bag with important documents, flashlight (+LED headlamp!), a few snacks, maybe an extra shirt/sweatshirt, swiss army knife thing and maybe even a poncho. These are just thoughts/suggestions. I bet there are other logical items to take!

I always keep copies of all my important documents phone numbers online I use Dropbox it gives you free online storage.

They even have an app for android and iphone you can send your pictures directly to your Dropbox.

You can sign up here it is free. http://db.tt/v0FLYqo

That is a really good idea! But, would authorities accept these digital versions of your documents, or copies made from these digital docs?

That is a really good idea! But, would authorities accept these digital versions of your documents, or copies made from these digital docs?

No, But it will help you smooth the way by having all the information you need.

Also create a document with all important phone #'s Credit Card Company contact # stuff like that Because you may lose your cell phone with all that stuff on it.

copies of docs as mentioned will all help your way through embassy and ID

re-issues..

a spare credit card too, if someone nicks it who cares, fraudulent use is

insured...(in UK it is)

DON'T FORGET WHISTLES !! and best place to attach this emergency bag is to your lifejacket under the bed or wherever they keep them in your cabin..

For those little flashlights try to get LED, shock resistant and WATER resistant/proof. Wherever you end up, water is likely to be a factor.

Edit:

Quick hunt on Amazon. Very small, LED, waterproof, shockproof, cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/GrayBean-Waterproof-Flashlight-Sporting-emergency/dp/B005RI5KKK/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1326901349&sr=1-5

Due to the fact as a tourist I am not a crew member or rescue personnel my loyalties and responsibilities fall to my wife and children FIRST. I am also responsible for their care POST incident. I'm not trying to be mean but giving my life for a stranger and neglecting my family is abandonment. I am incapable of saving the world. And the world will quickly forget my sacrifice and my family behind.

I will help anyone. But there is a limit

Also create a document with all important phone #'s Credit Card Company contact # stuff like that Because you may lose your cell phone with all that stuff on it.

Another good idea. Also, having an app or program on one's phone to disable access in the event of loss. So that someone that finds it cannot steal your financial or personal information.

I also love the suggestion of whistles!

I agree with the wisdom of having all those things in a ziplock bag for emergencies, but in real life aboard a cruise ship the only item you carry around with you on board is your cruise card/key card. Few people carry their wallet because there's no need for it aboard. This means that your emergency pack will be in your cabin and probably in your safe, so you still have to get to your cabin first regardless.

... This means that your emergency pack will be in your cabin and probably in your safe, so you still have to get to your cabin first regardless.

A "kit" yes, but my wife does have her mini LED flashlight with her at all times on board a boat or in a hotel. Basically anywhere that she can find herself in an enclosed part of a structure that has no natural light; elevators, stairwells, rooms, etc.

I was not there,,,hope this never happen again,,,if I feel the ship Im on hit or list to one side I am going to my room(and my wife),,get our vests and items in my pocket,,and go to the top or muster station. PERIOD. There was time to get topside,,,unless this happened in a 5 min period. People were at dinner,,went and changed clothes and then went to any muster station they could find. Now if I can see the ship is 300 yards off the shore Im sure me and my wife can swim(with vest) to it. Elderly people and disabled and kids need the life boats. The pay of that Captain(and all Captains) is to make sure he will stay on till he is last or ordered off. Im sure they get a nice paycheck!

Great ideas, and I will comb through them before packing for our next cruise. I carry around a small tote bag with Kindle, comb, etc., and had already planned to add a flashlight!

Re using online storage like Dropbox for copies of documents - you can also e-mail yourself (and a family member) a pdf of your passport and any other critical information such as phone numbers. Then you can retrieve it anywhere you have Internet access.

Barbara

Putting the abandon ship bag (ASB) in your room should not be a issue. That's where your life jackets are, so going there to grab them is your first response. In the case of this sinking there certainly would have been time to get your ASB, as I believe passengers were first told to go to their cabins.

I believe that the suggestion of a small backpack and extra clothes is to much to bring. With double occupancy going into lifeboats with standing room only, the first thing that will get thrown out is someone's backpack. If you can fit it into a purse, or a fanny pack, then that would work.

I'm thinking a credit card, a copy of our passports (regular paper, folded up, in a ziplock bag), a small flashlight or two, a whistle, some American Express checks, a few extra zip lock bags (they can go over your cell phones), any medications that you need, a copy of your perscriptions, (folded up in a ziplock bag). If you have more then can fit into a fanny pack, then make one for each member of your family and let them each have their own ASB.

Just don't forget your ASB when you depart the ship at the end of your regular un-eventfull cruise, as it contains important identity information.

Archived