Dining in The Dining Room

Flamingo19040

First time cruiser question-------

When you are having dinner in the dining room---Say you are at a table of 6 or 8 and some of your tablemates don't want appetizers or salad but want to get right to the entree'. Does your waiter serve them their main course while others are having appetizers or salad or does everyone at the table have to be having the same course at the same time?

Hope that isn't to confusing.

T-11 :)

So does it make it awkward if I am eating an appetizer and someone else didn't order and is sitting there watching me eat?

Why should you feel awkward? If they didn't order one that's not your problem.

So does it make it awkward if I am eating an appetizer and someone else didn't order and is sitting there watching me eat?

Who cares? They had to opportunity to order one, and chose not to. Happens *all* the time on the ship, especially if you happen to be seated with picky eaters.

Also, is there a certain amount of time that the waiter waits for everyone to be seated?

No more than 5-10 minutes after the dining room opens. Be courteous to your tablemates. Show up *on time.*

I think I can anwer this one for you with a bit better attitude for you. For one it has only been very rare that Ihave seen anyone not order salad or an appetizer and want to get right to the main course - and if anyone at the table does not order - not to worry! There is so much activity going on about you that there is no need to feel bad that they are not eatting and the chances of them looking at you are very slim. The courses actually go quickly - so there is really no lul - the servers have to keep everything going to ensure everyone does enjoy themselves - has time to eat and (if you are first seating) get you out and get everything ready for the next set of guests.

You will be fine - and enjoy all the wonderful food - and if something looks good but you know you will not be able to eat it all - it is ok - get it anyway and taste it - your headwaiter expects this and wants you to enjoy your food!!!

Have a blast!

First time cruiser question-------

When you are having dinner in the dining room---Say you are at a table of 6 or 8 and some of your tablemates don't want appetizers or salad but want to get right to the entree'. Does your waiter serve them their main course while others are having appetizers or salad or does everyone at the table have to be having the same course at the same time?

Hope that isn't to confusing.

T-11 :)

Not sure why Tef and Liv have their panties in a knot so early - could be an interesting day.

Back to the OP. As Gina so gently explained, the meals will be served by course. If someone chooses not to eat a course they will not have an app/soup/salad while you do. They will have to wait, have a roll, go to the potty, or engage in polite dinner conversation. Once the apps and salads are cleared the waiter will bring out all the entrees at once. If there are young children involved you may see their entrees presented ahead of adult entrees. Once entrees are cleared dessert menus will be presented. Some may choose not to have dessert (never done that personally) or there may be apperitifs and/or coffee served. Order what you like, sample what you don't know and have a wonderful time.

Thank you for the more "gentler" explanation. I did get the feeling from some of the answers that I struck a nerve for some reason. I don't mind people watching me eat(I am a neat eater lol) but I was taught that the polite thing to do when eating was to wait until everyone was served to begin. :-) That's all. Sorry if I stirred the pot so early in the morning.

T-11 days - Fascination

Not sure why Tef and Liv have their panties in a knot so early - could be an interesting day. LOL :D

Stir the pot flamingo, makes it more fun!

Don't worry if you're the only one eating....you are enjoying life and trying new things...that's what its all about. Order 2 appetizers, order 2 entrees do what YOU want...its your cruise too! (as long as you don't chew with your mouth open :eek: )

Have fun!

You will be fine and you are going to have a wonderful time. I do know what you mean - I spent my fair share of time in charm school when I was a young one - the atmosphere is great and like I said there is so much going on that you may even find yourself looking all about while you dine - to the point you may have a hard time remembering what your tablemates look like after the first night (lol)! I love watching the servers serve - it is always amazing to me how much they carry and how wonderfully they work together and always there for your needs!

... but I was taught that the polite thing to do when eating was to wait until everyone was served to begin. ...

T-11 days - Fascination

Exactly, and at a large table, it is easy to miss who is not ordering what. If DW or I skip a course, and others are being served that course we always let the other diners know right away that we are skipping, and they should go ahead and start.

If this is not volunteered by our tablemates, after the waiter appears to have completed the course service, we always ask before digging in if they are having that course.

Thank you for the more "gentler" explanation. I did get the feeling from some of the answers that I struck a nerve for some reason. I don't mind people watching me eat(I am a neat eater lol) but I was taught that the polite thing to do when eating was to wait until everyone was served to begin. :-) That's all. Sorry if I stirred the pot so early in the morning.

T-11 days - Fascination

IMO, This wasn't pot stirring. It was a valid question regarding dining etiquette with complete strangers. Not sure why Liv and Tef had such a low threshold this AM - it's usually a notch or two higher than that. Keep the faith.

Guys, did I miss something? LOL... I don't see where Liv or Tef were rude or mean :confused: They answered the questions, and while they might not have dumped sugar all over the top of their responses, they answered the questions. I guess I just don't see it... I actually thought those answered ranked among the nicest for the twins :D

Guys, did I miss something? LOL... I don't see where Liv or Tef were rude or mean :confused: They answered the questions, and while they might not have dumped sugar all over the top of their responses, they answered the questions. I guess I just don't see it... I actually thought those answered ranked among the nicest for the twins :D

OP came in asking a "miss manners" style question. A kind and gentle answer would have been the proportional response (using ROE terms). Instead she got more than that.

It looked like the twins were tuning up for a big day. At least that's my narrow point of view...

OP came in asking a "miss manners" style question. A kind and gentle answer would have been the proportional response (using ROE terms). Instead she got more than that.

It looked like the twins were tuning up for a big day. At least that's my narrow point of view...

Max, Max, Max... now you know we don't have any rules here as to the tone of response :p And remember, sometimes things come across differently to different people when you don't have the benefit of an actual "tone"... Like I said, it was missed on me. Sure, it was not syrupy sweet and they may not have walked on eggshells, but they did answer the question... some people are just more direct than others... no need to come down on anyone for it.. ;) We are talking about men here :D

Max, Max, Max... now you know we don't have any rules here as to the tone of response :p And remember, sometimes things come across differently to different people when you don't have the benefit of an actual "tone"... Like I said, it was missed on me. Sure, it was not syrupy sweet and they may not have walked on eggshells, but they did answer the question... some people are just more direct than others... no need to come down on anyone for it.. ;) We are talking about men here :D

I thought they were being just a tad brusque, that was reinforced by Gina's response, which then drove me to pipe up. Perhaps I'm feeling a little peckish this AM. Maybe I was relieved to answer a decent question vice predict when/where the next hurricane will strike in late August of 2005. Or if a plastic soda bottle was the best way to smuggle liquor on board. Or what channels are on TV - who gives a Flip! "Oh, well that's different, never mind."

If I offended my fellow man, lo siento.

Flamingo, back to your original question.

You have to realize that not everybody was raised like you and I. Yes, I always wait for each course to be served to each person before I begin eating. I've seen a lot of folks at my table do this, as well....but there are some who just 'dive in' as soon as the plate is put before them. (It really is no big faux pas, as this is the way they were raised.)

As far as individual courses, it's rare, in my crusing experience, that anybody skips the first course or two. If they do, then they should sit quietly, nibble on that wondeful bread and butter, and wait for their entree. Should.:rolleyes:

Please don't worry about what your tablemates do or do not order. There will be a bread basket, beverages and planety of conversation to keep them amused if they don't order appetizers. There have been times when I have skipped either the salad or the appetizer, but I don't think I've ever skipped both, and I can't remember a fellow diner who ever did either. Please order whatever tempts you and enjoy it.

One other way to handle this is to order last. If no one else orders an appetizer, graciously ask the table if they mind. They won't, of course, but you'll feel better.

Cheers,

Friday

Archived