Disney - How accessible is split bath?

Piggeldy

As our 2012 cruise plans fell through :( we have just started re-planning for 2013/14. I have to admit that though we don't have children I'd love to take a Disney cruise, for the Disney experience.

DH has mild CP, doesn't use a walker/wheelchair/scooter but can't get into a regular tub as he can't lift his feet up high enough. A step into a regular shower is no problem, neither is showering without grasp bars or a shower chair. I liked the idea of having a split bathroom to get ready in the morning but from what I have seen/read it appears that the split bath always comes with a tub? Unless you get a 2-bathroom suite?

Does that mean we would have to get an accessible stateroom and thus taking it away from someone who "really" needs it (though I fear we would also really need it then as not showering is probably a bad idea)? Does Disney have modified staterooms which just have accessible bathrooms? I assume we could rent/borrow a shower chair or something similar for a regular room but we would have to fly overseas to catch a Disney cruise (if they don't add Europe to their itinerary in 2013) and I know that it would need a lot of convincing from my side.

Ahm... okay, I guess what I really wanted to know was if all split baths come with a tub (like this: http://www.disneycruiser.info/bath.htm) or if Disney has modified "regular" staterooms with accessible bathrooms?

We are very flexible with regards to which Disney ship we travel on and itinerary, for the moment it's really a question of accessibility...

The split bathrooms do have a rounded tub that's like a slightly larger version of a round shower with a wall at the bottom. It would be difficult for a disabled person to step in and out of. To my knowledge there are no non-accessible rooms that only offer a shower on the Disney ships unless you book a suite that has a second bathroom.

In my opinion you DO NEED a handicapped room, so book it!

PS--Yes, they will be happy to provide a shower chair, and all the showers and tubs I've been in on DCL had grab bars.

The tubs on Magic and Wonder are fairly shallow and all the tubs on any of the ships do have grab bars. Unfortunately, the tub on Dream (and probably Fantasy) is extremely deep!! I also have difficulty with tubs due to RA in several joints and had real challenges on Dream and had to have my DH be there to help me out after a shower. I guess they deepened the tubs after getting feedback on improvements, but it makes it difficult for the less-abled. I prefer a walk-in shower, that's for sure.

Also, for some bizarre reason, the floor of the tub on Dream was extremely slick (no non-slick surface, which is puzzling on a vessel that moves). I asked the room steward for a shower mat, which was installed within an hour of the request.

Archived