Surf Fishing

dmswelch3

My Dad did this on our last cruise. I don't recall all the details of this one, but it was up at the northern end of Princess Cays, near the Sanctuary Bungalows and well away from the main beaches. There were attendants on hand to help bait hooks and take off catches (it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of tip money handy for that.) My Dad did catch a few things, but they were just the small fish you normally see off the beaches.

I was there last April. In the morning I went north, probably ended up 3 or 4 miles from the cruise compound, fishing the out-croppings. I caught a bunch of small fishes and a real nice damsel fish. I headed south around noon, grabbed some buffet, and headed out on the big flat rocks south of the compound. Came across some cruising cudas, that checked out my offerings but would not take. Did catch a nice black damsel on a big chunk of conch.

Archived