Road to Hana CD

debster818

Does anyone know if this tour CD can be purchased at the Thrifty Rent a Car Airport location? Or can you buy it anywhere else except on line? Perhaps at a Walmart in Honolulu/Waikiki? Thanks for your help.

There were some replies to your previous thread about the CD: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1547306

I am not aware of car rental agencies selling a CD but having our car here we don't often use a rental car. Places like Walmart, Long's Drug Store, ABC Store & Whaler's General Store will probably sell the CD. We're going to the Kahului Walmart tomorrow & will try to remember to see if I can find a Road to Hana CD in their souvenir section. As I posted on your other thread the Maui Revealed book (available many places) worked better for me but the CD may be 'mo bettah' for you. I liked the flexibility of the book vs. not much with a CD besides skipping a portion of the tour.

I read that the shell gas station sells them for $20. Since you live there, what do you recommend us doing after we do the sunrise on Haleakala.

Not knowing what you like to do, I'll mention a few options in the area they call Upcountry which is about halfway down from the summit. The last time I went for the sunrise, I continued around the southern end of Maui & drove back from the Hana area while others were driving there. I don't know if rental car agencies still prohibit that route but haven't seen that in awhile whenever we do get a rental car. It's mostly a very barren landscape over graded 'bouncy' roads until the Kipahulu area where Ohe'o Gulch (aka 7 Sacred Pools) is located & the beginning of the lush coastline.

You could hike into the crater which looks like the surface of the moon but remember that it's 10,000 feet & to bring water. There are a few short side roads on the way down with some nice views.

The Kula area of Upcountry has some options that you might be interested in exploring including zipline, atv tours, lavender farm & tropical garden, etc. There's the Maui Winery (Tedeschi) located in Ulupalakua for tasting & a couple of tours per day. The Kula Lodge has a restaurant with a tropical garden attached with great views of Maui. Holy Ghost Church in Kula was completed in 1895 & built by Portuguese immigrants who labored in the fields.

I'd highly recommend Da Kitchen (Kahului, Kihei, Lahaina) for the best local grindz in Maui & they're usually full with mostly local families. The food is great, the portions gigantic but being on a cruise you may have your body in shape for so much food. :p

I've been reading but not always posting about subjects like the Road to Hana which some enjoy while others not so much. It's not so much the destination of Hana but more about the drive so enjoy it. On weekend days early I've found some of the least congested roads. It appears that you're really set on this trip so go & enjoy it...just don't overdo it & it's not a problem if you don't go all the way to Ohe'o Gulch. Mosquitoes love my blood, so I bring repellent wherever they may be located...including the Road to Hana. I went to the bamboo forest & had to run back to the car to get repellent...it's a rainforest so be prepared.

Hopefully some of this helps...I've enjoyed Maui as a visitor & as a part-time kama'aina in our small hale (house) as often as possible. :D

Archived