Golden Questions

cruiserdenny

We've never done a cruise across the Atlantic and will be sailing on the Golden on May 8. Will the weather ever merit shorts? Do people wear jeans on board at all or just casual slacks during the days? Once in Europe, what is the suggested dress for shore excursions? Also, we were thinking of the Motorcoach tour of Paris. Can anyone give us an opinion on that? And finally, at least for now, we booked our flights from Iowa to New York and return from London through Princess. To New York it is on Delta and they have assigned us seats. On the return trip we are on United and they tell us that we cannot get seat assignments until the day of our return. Had we booked them on our own, we would have immediately gotten seat assignments. I am not excited about getting what is left over. Did I talk to the wrong person at United or is that the way it goes? Any advice? Thank you!

Hi:

I'm also a Dennis and my wife and I will be on this May 8th Golden sailing.

Last year we were on the trans-atlantic crossing to Europe on the Grand.

As you would expect, we planning on cooler weather, this cruise.

Shorts should be ok. However, I'd pack sweatshirts. The wind on deck is always cool. I'm bringing sweat pants. Last year, in the Northern ports Paris, Berlin and Oslo it was cold. You should plan on a jacket and sweaters or layed clothing. Causal pants ( Dockers or dress slacks are fine) but I've seen other wear dress jeans.

I've taken the motorcoach from La Harve to Paris several times. It's a nice senic ride, but it takes approx 3 hrs each way.

The Princess price for this transport to Paris is quite reasonable.

I'm in the same boat on flights.

I HATE it!

We're Delta outbound, United on the return.

Sucks!

Other than that, I'm counting down the days.

See 'ya on board!

Just a hint, because I've packed for a Europe/Transatlantic cruise, I suggest layers just like you would for the midwest! I bring some long sleeve blouses (and short sleeves) with a tee/shell underneath. I'd bring some shorts, too, just in case.

Years ago, before wheels on my bags, I lugged a big bag around London, pre-cruise and afterwards swore never to pack jeans again! I never bring jeans unless I wear them. I can pack 2 or 3 pair of cotton pants compared to one pair of jeans plus aside from tourists you don't see jeans in Europe like here.

I wear jeans all the time, I just think they are too heavy to pack and take up valuable space! Enjoy your cruise, I'm on the Sea Princess England to New York in September!

Susie

Hi Dennis & Susie

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking that I was out of luck with this thread. I reserved the tour to Paris. Your clothing suggestions will be a lot of help as we pack. Susie, have a great cruise in September. Dennis, we'll look forward to meeting you on board!

Cruise Denny.....

We will be on the May 8th cruise across the Atlantic and I would expect it to be a bit brisk on the decks...We took a transatlantic from Florida to the Mediterranean three years ago and it was in much warmer waters. I would expect this one to be a bit more chilly. We never take jeans as they take up too much room in suitcases...Not many wear them on board. We are coming from Denver area, however use to live in Des Moines...so maybe we can meet up on the ship. Email me if interested. Linda

Linda - We'd enjoy meeting up with you on the cruise. The site would not allow me to email you. My profile will allow it. We live in Perry which is about 15 miles from Des Moines. We enjoy vacationing in Colorado. I spent several weeks out there over the years climbing the 14ers with one of our sons. I struggle on the ski slopes, but the family loves skiing Colorado. Not many mountains in Iowa.

Paris can be really cold in May!

We were there the same time of year in 2001. Did a Globus tour of a week in London with a side day trip to Paris. I wore wool pants, sweaters and blazers the whole time! We had no rain the entire week, but the wind in both cities really dropped the temperature.

I did notice in both London and Paris that few people wore jeans and colors were mostly black, blue and gray.

You will definitely be able to get the highlights of Paris in a single day, as the hot spots are not that far from each other. Fascinating tour guide that day made it really worth the long day

Archived