Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

Just back from Red Hook and the Hope and Anchor restuarant. Ran into one of the workers. They are working today. Its beginning to look like a cruise terminal. Its says its roughed out inside and just needs paint. Also said there is an electrical conduit problem they are working on. They have to be finished in 21 days. Parling lot needs to be painted and lined. They were working on the security fence(we drove down and looked), but its coming along....

Have they put up any more PIER signs? The nearest one last week was on the Hamilton Service Road underneath the BQE elevation here one would turn left coming from Manhattan or Queens.

Karie

Lord and Taylor is akin to Macy's price wise and in that they seem to have "sales" every two weeks, but with better customer service and store layout.

I was on the QE2 in the Chart Room and requested the piano player do "Stranger in Paradise" from Kismet when someone then requested "Cheesburger in Paradise." I thought they were kidding, but found out later there was indeed such a song!

Jeannie

Karie,

The QE2/QM2 will not sail past ANY Manhattan skyline - let alone as in the past up the North River. There will be views of Lower Manhattan from the dock, but no sail past, and not much of a view of Lady Liberty either....

Does anyone exactly WHY they decided to use the Red Hook terminal instead of Manhattan?

One would think they would want to keep one of the most memorable aspects of the trip: The Manhattan skyline.

It seems insane to me, especially considering it can't be that easy to keep attracting passengers, and to fill all cabins on QM2.

What was the motivation to move QM2 to Brooklyn?

The move to Brooklyn is mostly a safety/security concern. Currently when QM2 is docked at the West Side Piers several hundred feet of her stern stick out beyond the pier into the shipping channel.

Jonathan

Well, now we know what Cunard should do -- either chop off several hundred feet of her stern (which could be painful) or lengthen the pier. However, they would never go for an option to "chop" revenue.

Though having the QM2 stick out in the channel is part of the problem, there is much more to it. Either early in this thread or the other one going about Red Hook has a number of newspaper articles that talks about the long process and events that lead to the Brooklyn Cruise Piers. There appears to be a long background to this change.

Does anyone exactly WHY they decided to use the Red Hook terminal instead of Manhattan?

One would think they would want to keep one of the most memorable aspects of the trip: The Manhattan skyline.

It seems insane to me, especially considering it can't be that easy to keep attracting passengers, and to fill all cabins on QM2.

Its a number of factors. The Manhattan piers are over loaded. Too many ships and the cruise lines keep adding additional cruises. They need to be renovated(RCI moved a couple of ships to Bayonne last year). The QM 2 is too long for the piers(it will be up against the pier in Brooklyn). Parking in Manhattan is a problem...all this and more made an additional pier somewhere ineviatable...

Actually a question...coming from Manhattan what is the most economical way to get to the Brooklyn pier. That is practical of course![/QUOTE]

Dear weggs,

First one that is out logically - subway (no where near).

Second, Not sure about shuttles or buses at this time.

Third, it will be sometime before the thought of water taxis are started.

Fourth, city taxicabs can be very expensive especially from afar, especially if involved in traffic situations - traffic jams. That meter keeps arunning and running. Unless, there will be a set fare established by the Taxi Commission.

Fifth, not sure of the conditions of the parking facilities even though they have set a price. Also rental cars not directly available in the area as of yet as I know of.

I would think a limo/car service would be the best bet. They do have set fare pricing to points of arrival. Also many have space in those large trunks. They can be reserved ahead of time. Drivers are more knowledgeable. We have used them in the past instead of parking at the pier (ex. Manhattan piers) and left the driving to a professional. Also, if you did, in case of emergency had to come back by other means - you will not have a vehicle storaged at a far off location to venture back to.

These are just my comments and know there are others out there with their own impressions to advise you with.

We will be going from Brooklyn to the Redhook piers in July to the QM2 and have decided to use the old reliable - limo service.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

From Midtown Manhattan the cab ride should be about $25.00. Is that expensive? Not to me. Getting a cab to come to the terminal shouldn't be a problem but don't be surprised if they don't know where it is. It will be be in Red hook just through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel($4.00 extra) Just have them stay to the right and get off the exit marked Hamilton Avenue stay to the left as they will need to make a U turn since the cruise terminal is around behind the tunnel. The signs are up and should easily be followed. A limo driver at first will have the same problem. Its not likely they have driven many people to Red Hook, at least so far.

As to the subway. The closest stop is SMith and 9th Street on the F and G trains. Then there is a bus that will take you to within a couple of blocks of the terminal. I wouldn't recommend this. This is the highest NY City Subway station off the street and it has neither an escaltor nor an elevator.

Here is a great aerial view of the Brooklyn pier. Smeyer, I can see, in the bottom half of the view, the building you were standing next to when you took your photograph.

This aerial view is obviously a dated shot as there are no terminal additions in evidence.

I am guessing that the big open paved area in the middle of the image is the parking lot for the passengers.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&v=2&style=r&rtp=~&&cp=38.80414~-77.04031&sp=aN.38.80414_-77.04031_101%20S%20Union%20St%2c%20Alexandria%2c%20VA%2022314&lvl=14&msnurl=home.aspx?%26strt1%3d101++S.+Union+St%26city1%3dAlexandria%26stnm1%3dVA%26zipc1%3d22314%26src%3dOF%26redirect%3dfalse&msnculture=en-US

Paul

Okay, for some reason this is bringing up a map of Alexandria, Virginia now. But if you type in Pioneer st, brooklyn in the search field, and then click "Bird's Eye" link, then scan over two frames, you'll see the pier.

Finally figured out the way to get the link to copy correctly. Here is a satellite view of Pier 12 in Brooklyn, prior to construction of the new terminal. If you left click the mouse and hold it down, you can pan a little bit with the image.

I believe the vast pavement area next to the three-in-a-row sheds is the intended parking area. I think I saw on some web site that the entranceway to the parking lot is on the left side, at the end of Sullivan Street, by the water's edge.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.682226~-74.014507&style=o&lvl=1&scene=1926286&rtp=~&sp=adr.Sullivan%20St%2c%20Brooklyn%2c%20NY%2011231~aN.38.804140_-77.040310_101%20S%20Union%20St%2c%20Alexandria%2c%20VA%2022314_

Paul

I beleve the entrance to the pier is going to be from the right off the picture. at Imlay and Bowne Street. The picture that I took was taken off by the left inside the gate. But no one really will know until Saturday morning....I am sure there will be many people directing traffic...should be an interesting Saturday morning..

Sullivan Street? The extreme left is Wolcott Street. That is where I took the picture from

Thanks for the link its an interesting view....

and the information on the website is wrong. The mileage to the pier from LGA is 11 miles- a big difference. There is no extra charge for additional passengers in cabs and no luggage charge(except for trunks). The prices are also wrong. Its not $40.00 from lower manhattan or midtown. It shouldn't be $40.00 from LGA and the way the directions are from Kennedy are wrong. The way they send you its 25 miles which will make the cab fare closer to $65.00 its neither the shortest nor the fastway, If you want proper directions ask mapquest and use the intersection of Bowne and Imlay Street as your target(its where the pier entrance is)

Carnival Corp owns/rents Red Hook pier, Cunard owned by Carnival Corp. Which is exactly WHY they decided to use the Red Hook terminal instead of Manhattan?

The Manhattan piers are overcrowded and the piers were too short for the QM2(its rear stuck out into the harbor). The Manhattan piers need to be renovated. Cruising from New York has been increasing at a more than 100% rate. The Brooklyn Pier is not owned by Carnival. Although Carnival has promised to use it. It will get a rebate(per passenger) on the amount paid depending on how many ships use it. NCL gets a similar concession for Manhattan(remember NCL was the first with year around cruising from NY).

here are Red Hook Pictures with the Queen Mary.Traffic was ok as I predicted too few cabs...

Thanks for posting! I presume the 'Ceremony' is for departure this evening - or did they do it in the murk this morning? Was the line for cabs very long?

Peter

It is scheduled for about noon. The governor and the mayor will be there. The ship is leaving at 5. If you want to see hear the ceremony head to Wolcott Street. You can sit outside the gate and hear it see it- bring your own chair.

There were some cabs just not enough. I couldn't see the cab line I just know they weren't lined up...

Carnival Corp owns/rents Red Hook pier, Cunard owned by Carnival Corp. Which is exactly WHY they decided to use the Red Hook terminal instead of Manhattan?

I think it was partly a financial issue. Still, of all the "Carnival/Princess" ships to move to Brooklyn, it could strike some as slightly odd they chose QM2.

If you're paranoid, you might think there's a little underlying "ha, take that you snooty Brits!".

Archived