Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

Dak posted:

I found this article today. Really inspires confidence, doesn't it?

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/f-bct.html

Don't worry about this, as NYC cabbies are well-aware of this new terminal. Furthermore, the info posted on the website with regard to airport transfer times from LaGuardia & JFK is erroneous. Why are they scaring people like this?

LaGuardia is only 12 miles away (a 30>45 minute drive), and JFK is 16 miles away (a 40>50 minute drive).

Both of these should work out to less travel time than trying to get to the old terminal on the west side of Manhattan, because you don't have to battle your way through Manhattan's ever-gridlocked crosstown daytime traffic nightmares. It's actually very convenient, even moreso if you are commuting from JFK.

Don't let them scare you. The Red Hook terminal is a great idea, and is very convenient to Manhattan. You'll get a grand ride across the beautiful Brooklyn Bridge, with picturesque views that you would never see if you just stayed in Manhattan. Don't worry about not being able to see the Manhattan skyline while sailing in/out. You will. I stood at South Street Seaport in Manhattan yesterday, and had a crystal-clear view of QM2 docked at Red Hook. If Manhattan can see you, you can see Manhattan.

Brooklyn is a great place. Don't forget to visit Brooklyn Heights, which is a beautiful (and very wealthy) neighborhood, located close to Red Hook. There is plenty to see there, as well as a plethora of great dining options. A stroll along the Brooklyn Heights waterfront Promenade presents some of the most spectacular Manhattan skyline views to be found anywhere in NYC.

Very cool to see QM2 again, after spending 12 days aboard for her 'Mediterranean Explorer' cruise last August.

hear, hear, The info on another site is also badly wrong. The info posted on cruise critic is right on and shows many of the areas close by that are interesting, although it leaves out the neighborhood that I live in Boerum Hill.

Its also leaves out the best restuarant in Brooklyn- Peter Lugar's- best steak in NYC...reservations required cash only.

Some of the restuarants listed in CC are actually in Boerum Hill...

some of the ones that aren't that are a good place to eat are Patois(owned by the same people as Snack), the Grocery and Union and Smith Street.

By the way with no traffic its 20 minutes to LGA....Its only 16 miles to Kennedy if you go by Atlantic Avenue. If you go by highway it can be as much as 25.

Also left out are

Williamsburg(billyburg),,,a wierd combination of yuppie resturants and ultra religious Orthodox jews(Hassidim). \

Fort Greene- A minoirty community with interesting stores and the monument to the Martyrs of the Revolutionary war(The Brits kept prison ships in Wallabout Bay- the site of the Brooklyn Navy yard) Thousands- tens of thousands died and their bones are interred in the bottom of the Mounment in Fort Greene park.

http://www.nyfreedom.com/fortgreene.htm

Brooklyn Boro Hall has a visitors center(in Brooklyn Heights)

The docking of QM2 in Red Hook was on the news here in New York today.

Some Brits disembarking from QM2 in Brooklyn today---Easter Sunday---were not too happy about it. Their travel arrangements did not materialize, and they said it was as if they didn't exist. They said they would not want to sail into Brooklyn again.

These last 2 Easters have been memorable. Last year, a young woman died from a court ordered starvation/dehydration, and this year, QM2 arrives in Brooklyn.

smeyer and crash:

Thank you so very much!

It is so marvelous for someone to finally post something positive about Brooklyn!

From the moans and wails of many on this board, you would think we are being brought to an outpost of threatening hordes, a la Dickensian London, or perhaps some barren landscape where the eternally hungry with shifting eyes and gaunt looks constantly prowl for their next victim, and they cackle with glee as they move swiftly away, fanning your money in their hands past uninterested gendarmes.

It appears that we will be sailing past EASTERN lower Manhattan instead of Western. Isn't that some really famous skyline also? And there appear to be many fine restaurants close by, for those who wish to come in a night early and stay- where was it, a Marriott or Ramada in town? - Not too shabby. And even, for you profligate grill class types, a wealthy neighborhood where you can feel most at home! <VEG> Okay, that was rude, but sometimes the tone of some people on this list is so imperious, it makes one ask oneself just who are they trying to convince? <SG> (that is a SWEET grin, and I just made it up) Heck, there are even ART galleries nearby!

Thank you so much for focusing on the positive and giving us hope that we are not DOOMED. It is a breath of spring air, much like the bright blue sky and sunshine outside my window which I intend to go enjoy shortly!

Karie,

who thinks life is much too grand to spend it deliberately in a funk. Life is what you make it, and your attitude has a lot to do with that!

It appears that we will be sailing past EASTERN lower Manhattan instead of Western.

Karie,

You will not sail past ANY of Manhattan - if you check earlier links on this thread to maps, you will see that well before the QM2 gets to Manhattan she executes a 180 degree turn and backs into the terminal in Buttermilk Channel - in contrast to an earlier report that she would sail round Governors Island - which would have involved some sail past of lower Manhattan. Lower Manhattan will be visible over the stern - but no more the early morning sail up the North River, past the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, the sun rising behind them sending shards of light down the Manhattan canyons - thats gone, probably for good.

Peter

Karie,

You will not sail past ANY of Manhattan - if you check earlier links on this thread to maps, you will see that well before the QM2 gets to Manhattan she executes a 180 degree turn and backs into the terminal in Buttermilk Channel - in contrast to an earlier report that she would sail round Governors Island - which would have involved some sail past of lower Manhattan. Lower Manhattan will be visible over the stern - but no more the early morning sail up the North River, past the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, the sun rising behind them sending shards of light down the Manhattan canyons - thats gone, probably for good.

Peter

Okay. I apologize. Obviously, I have not been there. I have perused numerous maps and aerial photos, and I thought some of the Manhattan skyline was visible, I guess I did not realize Governor's island completely blocks your view. Especially when reading repeatedly that you can see the Statue of Liberty directly from the pier. (At least today, if nothing gets built up to block it) I think I thought that as you come out Buttermilk Channel there was still some of Manhattan left on the Starboard side, but I guess not.

Thanks,

My bad.

Karie,

Still geographically challenged.

I think it was partly a financial issue. Still, of all the "Carnival/Princess" ships to move to Brooklyn, it could strike some as slightly odd they chose QM2.

If you're paranoid, you might think there's a little underlying "ha, take that you snooty Brits!".

In that case, many of Cunard's officers and crew must be paranoid.

:rolleyes:

First - the reasons for the new pier have been discussed in depth in this and other threads, and are pretty much history now.

As to the new pier, we sailed our of there on Sat the 15th. Will try to post pictures eventually. Things went just fine. Cabbies were not happy taking people there from Manhattan ($28 with tunnel toll). No return fares available.

All went very well with just a little traffic approaching the pier. I would SURELY SUGGEST NOT USING train/bus/subway combination and walking unless you are a backpacker type.

Bye for now onboard the QM2.

Today i read all the articles in the papers hear in New York, And boy were they harsh on the QM2 and Brooklyn.

A few headlines, " Unfit for a Queen"

" Hell Queen Mary 2"

"To passengers, just a pass by"

Its said how many passengers were complaining for buses, and no chairs to sit, and how some didnt even know where exaclty was Brooklyn located, some thought it was a bad area connected to Manhattann. And to be honest, the area looks like they area where Eddie Murphy comes to in NY in the Movie Coming to America.

I looked at the on line version of the Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/

two articles both positive.

and the new york post

nothing recent something from a week ago about a partial ceiling collapse(which I hadn't seen before)...

and the times article on the front page today was also positive. I would like to read the negative ones can you supply a link? Thanks!

The report is there were plenty of limos picking people up, at rates that were about 25% higher than a cab ride. The limos are nicer. there appeared to be cabs and traffic wasn't bad. I posted pictures...so far the only ones...clearly it wasn't a disaster. the complaints about no chairs I hadn't heard. maybe they were using them for the presntation by the Mayor and the Governor.

While transportation from Red Hook could have been better organized, bear in mind that this was the first time she's ever docked there. There will always be bugs to shake out of the system the first time around.

Here's an idea: why don't they offer ferry service to Manhattan from Red Hook? There are numerous ferries and water taxi services that Cunard could partner with to make this happen. Another option might be using the QM2's own tether boats to shuttle passengers to South Street Seaport in Manhattan. On our QM2 cruise last August, we rode tether boats to shore in Cannes, France. It's a nice ride, especially if you can get an outdoor seat on the roof.

Here's an idea: why don't they offer ferry service to Manhattan from Red Hook? There are numerous ferries and water taxi services that Cunard could partner with to make this happen.

Interesting thought Crash_NYC.

I also wondered about the NY Water Taxi service, shown on their website as a dotted line from Wall Street to Red Hook. I emailed for clarification, but have been met with a deafening silence. It seems to me that not enough forethought has been put into this "improvement" of facilities.

Given the propensity of whiners and the press to inflate minor inconveniences into life threatening disasters it looks as though yesterday went pretty smoothly:

http://www.nypost.com/commentary/64580.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/409232p-346377c.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/409233p-346379c.html

Lets see if any disembarkers do post.......

Peter

On a Saturday morning there wouldn't be many taxis at the pier at Wall street. Most people who take that pier either walk to their offices or take a small shuttle bus that doesn't run on the weekend. NY Water Taxi's Brooklyn depot is just south of the Red Hook pier. I actually thought it was well thought out, much better than the first reports when Bayonne opened. I agree that given the propensity for whinning this went very smoothly. The Red Hook Pier people contracted with a limo service and there was both a taxi line and a limo line for non-reserved limos that reportedly went well- There were more limos than cabs so the reports go so far.

Thanks for posting the links to the Post article. A number of comments on that one. There are no cafes etc anywhere close to the Manhattan terminal either. There is no subway stop there either. The closest is at 50th and Eight Avenue. From the entrance to the Red Hook Pier the Smith and 9th Street stop is just as close. I resent the comment about the Fulton Mall. The old A & S(abraraham and Strauss) headquarters is now a Macy's and while I personally rarely shop there is not what the writer describes. Its more like what 14street in Manhattan used to be than Canal Street-which is what she describes. and there are about 8 subway lines running by the Fulton Mall. I suspect that the shuttle when to Brooklyn Boro Hall- if Marty Markowitz had anything to do with it. There are cafes and restuarants on Columbia Street. The people at the Pioneer bar who mooned it(something I think is funny) were I bet no more than a handful. They also oppose all the redevelopment in RedHook, which includes a new supermarket and an Ikea. The roads they say can't handle it. I wonder how it handled the traffic to the piers when they were bustling. The reports and my personal observation at 10 and again 3-4 were the traffic in the 'hood was light.

I dont know about the sites, However, if u can get your hand on a New York Post, its on the next page, In big letters, and The Hell to the Queens, is in the Daily news, which had 3 articles about it.

I didn't see "The Hell to the Queens" in Sunday's Daily News, and I missed the Post. The cover of the Daily News had a photo of QM2 docked in Red Hook and the title:

Happy Easter

HAIL MARY

Welcome to Brooklyn

Archived