At embarkation Do I have to take wine out of carry on or...

city

Can I bring my two allowed bottles of wine on board in my carry on ?

Do I have to take them out to show anyone and will they make a note of my cabin so they can bill me corkage fees?

I ask so I can arrange the bottles on top to be easily pulled out and not have to rearrange my bag to get to them.

I'd like to avoid putting them in a separate bag so as to eliminate carrying multiple pieces of luggage.

Thanks for your replies..

And you can also put them in your checked luggage.

It is better to bring them in carry on; by putting them in checked luggage you incur a risk your bag will be flagged for possible contraband and not delivered to your room until you open it in front of security in a designated area.

Do I have to take them out to show anyone and will they make a note of my cabin so they can bill me corkage fees?

I ask so I can arrange the bottles on top to be easily pulled out and not have to rearrange my bag to get to them.

I'd like to avoid putting them in a separate bag so as to eliminate carrying multiple pieces of luggage.

Yes you can bring them on in your carry on - in fact that is what I would recommend. You could also put them in your luggage but if they are identified for inspection it could cause a delay in delivery of your luggage, which is why I recommend carrying the wine on when you board.

No you do not need to take them out of your carry on nor show them to anyone unless they ask you to remove them for inspection (to make sure it is not liquor). While this "could" happen, I've never been asked nor questioned about this and bring wine on at every cruise.

As others have said the corkage fee is only charged if you take your wine to a lounge or dining room do drink. The waiter or wine steward who serves you will charge you the corkage fee if it is needed. There is no corkage fee for enjoying your wine in your stateroom. Also, we've enjoyed ours out on deck from time to time and never been asked about them nor charged a corkage fee.

Do they specify the size bottle it has to be. I usually buy my Australian wine in a 1.5 liter bottle. Can I bring on 2 of these to drink in my cabin?

Probably, but maybe not.

I'm sure that this confusing answer is not what you wanted to hear.

The issue is that the Celebrity policy does not address bottle size nor the related issue of boxes of wine. I've never tried bringing on either but from reading a lot of messages on these boards my observation is that the staff on the ships are inconsistent in their approach to this issue The majority of posted reports indicate no issues but there are more than a few reports from posters who indicate that their large bottles or boxes of wine were confiscated with the justification that only two standard size (750ml) bottles of wine are allowed.

The bottom line is that although you can probably bring on the large bottles you will run a risk of having them confiscated. So if you want to play it safe then stick to two standard size bottles of wine.

You can carry on or in checked bags 2 bottles of wine. No need to show them to anyone. If you want to enjoy them in your cabin ask your steward for a corkscrew & glasses. If you want to take then to dinner you will be charged corkage- hint if you want your wine chilled bring to your assigned dinning room & give them to the Maitre d' along with your cabin#. The bottle will be waiting for you @ dinner.

Enjoy your cruise

Carole

...If you want to take then to dinner you will be charged corkage- hint if you want your wine chilled bring to your assigned dinning room & give them to the Maitre d' along with your cabin#. The bottle will be waiting for you @ dinner...

Easier than that: Just give it to your cabin steward in the morning along with a note indicating which dinner seating and table number and your dining room sommelier will have it ready and waiting for you when you arrive for dinner.

Hi All,

I bring you the latest for 2012... DEFINITE CHANGES FROM 2011 !!

If one is planning to bring Wine Aboard it is important to be aware of the changes in the Alcoholic Beverage Policy* …

So from the Celebrity Brochures... I bring you key points numbers 4, 5 and 6 from the Alcoholic Beverages Policy

== snip ==

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor aboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) standard size (750 ml or smaller) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $ 25.00. If a guest receives a bottle of wine (in their stateroom) from a family member or friend, and that bottle(s) was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift Selection, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any other public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and / or Travel Agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage Selection, then a $ 25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest’s onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and returned to the guests on the last day of sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Celebrity’s Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced up to, and including, disembarkation if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have any alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over-consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and / or luggage check points or any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

== end ==

*NOTE – There are in total now 7 Paragraphs in the Celebrity Alcoholic Policy. I have cut & pasted above those that apply to Bringing Alcohol Aboard… the size of bottles listing is a NEW Addition for 2012. The other paragraphs of the Policy cover the Age of Majority aboard Celebrity Ships (Para 1, 2 and 3) – and the final paragraph of the Policy covers the fact that all rulings by Celebrity are final and Celebrity has the right to revoke or restrict “drinking privileges” of any guest at any time.

On our cruise (January 15, 2012 - aboard the Solstice), it was our experience that the above paragraphs hold true and are in effect. Our carry-on luggage was hand-searched following being x-rayed to confirm what liquids we had in them, and that the bottles were carefully inspected.

Likewise, our carry-on luggage was x-rayed on each and every return to the ship from ports of call. And Guests that had alcohol with them had it confiscated from them, and stowed until the last sailing day.

By all appearances Celebrity is taking their own Policy quite seriously, and are very aware of ways and means that Guests have used in the past to “skirt” the policy and “smuggle” alcohol aboard.

I would have to say it isn’t worth the risk, hassle or bother… with the great Beverage Packages now offered by Celebrity, it just makes a lot more sense to play within the Rules.

Hope this info is helpful to others,

Cheers!

I don't see any major changes in the alcohol policy. It has always been two bottles of wine per stateroom that you were allowed to carry on. Never could you carry on beer or hard liquor and there always was a corkage fee if you were to drink that wine in the dining room. You were never allowed to bring liquor back to your stateroom from any port. It was always stored by the ship until the last night for you.

I don't see any major changes in the alcohol policy. It has always been two bottles of wine per stateroom that you were allowed to carry on. Never could you carry on beer or hard liquor and there always was a corkage fee if you were to drink that wine in the dining room. You were never allowed to bring liquor back to your stateroom from any port. It was always stored by the ship until the last night for you.

The change is the specification of 750ml or smaller for wine.

Let me tell you that there may be a policy, and then there is practice. On Solstice a few months ago in the Med, we carried on wine, ouzo, etc. from most ports with nary a questuin. Of course they xrayed our belongings every time we went back onboard, but there was never any confiscation that I could see. So these are good guidelines but may not be followed in practice.

The change is the specification of 750ml or smaller for wine.

GONZO70 is correct, the primary change in the this part of the Alcohol Policy is that sizing is now clearly listed.

Let me tell you that there may be a policy, and then there is practice. On Solstice a few months ago in the Med, we carried on wine, ouzo, etc. from most ports with nary a questuin. Of course they xrayed our belongings every time we went back onboard, but there was never any confiscation that I could see. So these are good guidelines but may not be followed in practice.

CATHYCRUISES, that was then... this is now... (although it may too have something to do with the Itinerary of Europe vs Caribbean)

I was on the Solstice just this past week... and alcohol (including wine) was most definitely being confiscated at the Ports of Call... as passengers returned to the ship there was a table set up where Solstice Personnel were labelling items so they could be returned to the correct pax in time for Disembarkation.

Cheers!

If you are doing a back to back will they bring the alcohol to your cabin after the first part of your cruise or will they keep it until your final destination.

I have heard of it going either way.

Holy smokes! That's just ridiculous. We cruise a lot and that must be the highest fee I've seen yet.

Even NCL only charges $15/bottle - and you can bring on as many bottles as you want. The caveat is you pay $15 for every bottle (no two free) but then you can bring them to any dining venue you want.

Archived