Fascination - Cozumel

Flamingo19040

We are taking a 4 night cruise out of Miami departing April 25. When we dock at Cozumel there will be 8 other ships in port ahead of us - making us ship number 9. We dock at noon and are the last ones to get in.

We were going to go to either Chanaakab(sp.) or Paradise Beach - leaning towards Chanaakab. From things I have read - the beaches are pretty crowded by 11 a.m.

Knowing that the beaches close at 5 p.m. (we could be at the beach by 1 - 1:30?), do you feel it is worth it - cab fare/beach fee (different for both, I know)/time able to spend there?

Thanks in advance from a first time crusing couple celebrating our nifty 50 birthdays!!!

:)

We took the same trip in January, and when we were in Coz, there were 5 ships total, so my perception may be off...

We took the cab to Paradise Beach, and it was crowded, but not offensively. There were plenty of chairs available. It was a $24 cab ride round trip.

Paradise Beach was free, unless you wanted to use the water toys. We stayed for a couple hours and then it rained, so we went back to the ship. But we did have a great time!

went to state park last year-had a great time-they have a very nice beach and snorkeling there and a sea lion show-our transport back to dock was available any time-(this was thru a Pricess excursion)

What a difference a week can make!!!! We go 5/2 on Fascination and there are only two other ships there....

Carnival Cruise Lines Ecstasy Cozumel, Mexico 5/4/2005 9:00:00 AM 10:00:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Elation Cozumel, Mexico 5/4/2005 9:00:00 AM 5:00:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Fascination Cozumel, Mexico 5/4/2005 12:00:00 PM 10:0

Lucky us - first time cruising an we have 9!!!!!!!!!1

:-(

With cruising it is always what you make of it. Bring your P A T I E N C E and you'll be fine. Some ships may be pulling out ahead of you so people will be heading back to their ships. Perhaps you can time it around that.

With cruising it is always what you make of it. Bring your P A T I E N C E and you'll be fine. Some ships may be pulling out ahead of you so people will be heading back to their ships. Perhaps you can time it around that.

Do check to see of the other ships leave Cozumel early. When we were there this past summer on the Paradise we didn't dock till after noon so it was around 1 p.m. when we got to Chankanaab. Many of the Conquest cruisers were already getting ready to leave by then since they pulled out around 5 p.m. By later in the day the park was nearly empty.

We were considering the Conquest for our cruise this summer but switched to the Victory just because it is in Cozumel from 7 a.m. till midnight. The long day gives us plenty of time to fit in all of our plans.

Math girl --- By my calculations - if we did do Chanaak Beach (sp.) we wouldn't get there until about one like you. Was that enough time to be there and also - were you able to find any lounges to sit in. Oh and yes - is the ocean floor sand or rocks? Wondering whether to pack our water shoes or not. One less thing to pack is they aren't necessary.

Thanks

We were at Chankanaab with another couple and the guys did a shore dive. We were able to find lounge chairs right in front of the dive shop but there were open chairs all along the beach.

We left the beach around 5 p.m. just because we wanted to make it back to the ship in time for dinner. There was no mention of closing time so I'm not sure if they would run you out or not! I could have easily spent more time at Chankanaab because I felt like I was in paradise! My girlfriend and I spent a lot of the afternoon snorkeling (while the guys were diving) and I wished I could have had a little more time to just lay on the beach. I burn easily, but was able to stay in the shade of one of the palapas and just sip my pina colada!

Chankanaab does not have a gradual sloping beach, but instead you enter the water on stone steps. The water is about chest deep when you first get in but gets deeper quickly. I wore fins to snorkel and put them on as soon as I got into the water. The water is too deep to be walking around so I don't think water shoes would be necessary. There is a lagoon which has more of the sloping beach, but we didn't check it out.

My friend had never snorkeled before and was sure she wouldn't like it. When we started I figured she would take some time getting used to the equipment so I swam out a bit to snorkel and when I came back she was gone. I looked all over for her and eventually found her with a small group of snorkelers. They had a guide with them and they had invited her to come along. After that I could hardly get her out of the water! She was so excited about all that the guide had shown them that she had to take me around and give me a tour! By the time we had done all of this snorkeling the guys were back from the dive and the afternoon was almost over! (BTW...we are not "young"...we are in our late 40's! so and if we can snorkel anyone can!!)

Archived