Need advice/options - Alaska Cruise for 7

nietzsche

I am looking at possibly taking my family on an Alaskan cruise this May/June but I am face with a few challenges and am hoping your cruise expertice can help me decide. My mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and really want to take the family on a nice vacation. I've been on 4 cruises, one being an Alaskan cruise and know my mom wants see Alaska too. Some of my challenges are:

The seven travelers would be myself, my hubby, my mom, my sister and her 4 yr old daughter, my dad and likely his girlfriend.

My mom and dad are clearly divorced but are excellent friends.

If I make this trip happen, I am faced with funding 4 or 5 of the travelers.

With all that said, I'm trying to find the best sleeping arrangements while keeping sanity and cost in mind. When I sailed Alaska, we has a balcony and would really like to do that again. Would two connected balcony rooms be space enough to keep us from pulling our hair out (well...except for mom as she lost all her hair already!).

Yes, even after 6 chemo treatments, my mom is well enough to travel. I want to give this experience to my family.

There is the option of excluding my dad and his girlfriend for this trip and treat my dad to one some other time.

And travel advice is much appreciated. There really isn't a preference on a cruise line, however, I am inclined to steer clear of Holland since our travel group include mid thirties, early 60's and 4. No offense...

Thanks!

Princess and Holland have been doing Alaska for years and have it nailed down.

The average age on a HAL Alaskan cruise is much younger than other HAL cruises. Many families with kids onboard. Our DDs have always enjoyed ClubHAL. Many times you can find 3rd & 4th sail free or $99.

If you are flexible with travel dates Holland America is the way to go. If you go to their website, click on special offers, then Alaska you will see a few sailings with cheap 3/4 passengers. This will save you a bunch if you are willing to go with just 2 cabins. I think that 2 cabins is doable. Spend the savings on shore excursions or elsewhere.

I am looking at possibly taking my family on an Alaskan cruise this May/June but I am face with a few challenges and am hoping your cruise expertice can help me decide. My mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and really want to take the family on a nice vacation. I've been on 4 cruises, one being an Alaskan cruise and know my mom wants see Alaska too. Some of my challenges are:

The seven travelers would be myself, my hubby, my mom, my sister and her 4 yr old daughter, my dad and likely his girlfriend.

My mom and dad are clearly divorced but are excellent friends.

If I make this trip happen, I am faced with funding 4 or 5 of the travelers.

With all that said, I'm trying to find the best sleeping arrangements while keeping sanity and cost in mind. When I sailed Alaska, we has a balcony and would really like to do that again. Would two connected balcony rooms be space enough to keep us from pulling our hair out (well...except for mom as she lost all her hair already!).

Yes, even after 6 chemo treatments, my mom is well enough to travel. I want to give this experience to my family.

There is the option of excluding my dad and his girlfriend for this trip and treat my dad to one some other time.

And travel advice is much appreciated. There really isn't a preference on a cruise line, however, I am inclined to steer clear of Holland since our travel group include mid thirties, early 60's and 4. No offense...

Thanks!

No offense taken, but our family including 3.5 year old son found the itinerary on HAL Volendam to be the "best" for us regardless of the assumed age mix on the ship. You will probably find a good age mix on all Alaska cruises as many are in your boat - booking for family groups from grandparents on down to grandbabies. & I am hoping for a quiet relaxing cruise so that I can enjoy the scenery.

I bolded itinerary, because that should be your main concern on an Alaskan cruise.

For us, we only had time for a 7 day cruise (will be taking almost 2 weeks off including travel to Alaska.) I had to go to Glacier Bay (It is a national park for a reason) & I preferred to go east of Vancouver Island (Smoother more scenic sailing).

The fact that the Volendam leaves on a Wednesday - BONUS! (Cheaper airfare, less crowded.)

We chose an inside cabin, because it will still be light when we want to go to bed & with the savings we will take a nice excursion. Most people prefer the open decks for viewing over the limited views from a balcony. So if I were in your boat & paying for 4 or 5, they'd be in an inside.:)

Archived