Glass Blowing Show

We just got off the Equinox on Monday and went to five or more of the glass shows. Very interesting and it's amazing what they can do with that stuff. The shows are run by Corning Glass Museum, which is a non-profit. So they said they cannot sell their work, either directly to passengers or in the shops on the ship. They raffle off the pieces to passengers during some of their shows. My wife won a roman-style decanter that we watched one of the artists make the day before. They'll make something one day, let it sit out on display for a day or so, then raffle it off at the end of one their next shows.

there are pieces for sale all over the ship..........very expensive. i think they raffle off the pieces they make during the cruise. if you have never seen their show, it incredible to watch. too bad its not on the last 3 solstice ships!:(

oops! i guess the pieces all over the ship were not made by corning...........according to previous board.

That's correct. There is a shop on the ship that sells some blown glass, but it's made by a different studio. I can't remember the name of the studio. Had it been made onboard, we would have probably bought some Christmas tree ornaments.

The pieces by the elevators on 3 and 4 (or is it 4 and 5) were all made on the ship, however they may have been made by other artists who were on the ship at the time.

None of the glass on exhibit in their little museum or sitting in front of the artists making the glass are for sale. They do raffle off some of the pieces that they make at different times during the cruise to those that are sitting watching them...there's no pattern...they just decide, let's raffle something off. If you win, it's free.

At the end of the cruise, they do have an auction for four pieces of glass that they made during the cruise. In December, the proceeds from one of the pieces went to Breast Cancer Awareness, the proceeds from the other three go to the corning museum to help provide scholarships for artists who attend their classes. Prices ranged from $200 to $700 on our cruise ($700 for the Breast Cancer piece).

They try to demonstrate many different styles and techniques and they decide on their own what they will make, what colors, what decorations...the whole thing. They don't work from requests unless, I guess, if you have something challenging that might pique their interest. The only request they really take is from the kids on the ship who draw something and then are invited to watch it being made.

Archived