What's closed on Whitsun (Pentecost) Monday in Barcelona

MAHA

We are scheduled to go on Serenade of the Seas out of Barcelona on Tuesday, May 29, 2012. We are arriving on Sunday morning, May 27 so we can see Barcelona for almost 2 days precruise. Does anyone know what will be closed on that Monday - ie. museums, Sagrada Familia, stores, restaurants, HOHO buses, etc? I have searched both these forums as well as the internet and can't find much information. I do know it is a bank holiday, so I assume all banks are closed. Will ATM's be working?

Thanks!

Mary Anne

I have posted this question on the Spain boards, but thought I would ask here as maybe someone might have an answer. We are going on Serenade of the Seas May 29, 2012 for a 12 night Mediteranean cruise. We are arriving 2 days pre-cruise into Barcelona. I just found out today that May 28 is a public holiday in Barcelona for Pentecost or Whitsun Monday. Does anyone know what will be open or closed on that day? I have heard that all shops will be closed, and banks will be closed. The Hop on Hop off busses will be running and restaurants will be open. Does anyone know if museums, the Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, etc. will be open for touring?

Thanks!

Mary Anne

I have posted this question on the Spain boards, but thought I would ask here as maybe someone might have an answer. We are going on Serenade of the Seas May 29, 2012 for a 12 night Mediteranean cruise. We are arriving 2 days pre-cruise into Barcelona. I just found out today that May 28 is a public holiday in Barcelona for Pentecost or Whitsun Monday. Does anyone know what will be open or closed on that day? I have heard that all shops will be closed, and banks will be closed. The Hop on Hop off busses will be running and restaurants will be open. Does anyone know if museums, the Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, etc. will be open for touring?

Thanks!

Mary Anne

We were there once on a holiday and people bought tickets for the hop on buses and could not get on at the stops. It was packed with long line ups. So, when we got on we never got off. Just rode the full route.

I can't remember about the shops and museums etc.

All banks and most shops will be closed. Tourist type shops, however, will probably be open.

Gaudi's Casa Battlo and La Pedrera will be open as will Sagrada Familia although they may have reduced opening hours - check each individual site's webpage.

Be aware that everywhere is likely to be very busy so, if there is anywhere you really want to see, I would suggest you pre-book tickets.

If you have not booked your hotel yet I would do so as accommodation gets quite full.

We are scheduled to go on Serenade of the Seas out of Barcelona on Tuesday, May 29, 2012. We are arriving on Sunday morning, May 27 so we can see Barcelona for almost 2 days precruise. Does anyone know what will be closed on that Monday - ie. museums, Sagrada Familia, stores, restaurants, HOHO buses, etc? I have searched both these forums as well as the internet and can't find much information. I do know it is a bank holiday, so I assume all banks are closed. Will ATM's be working?

Thanks!

Mary Anne

We found that museums were closed on Monday in Barcelona.

We found that museums were closed on Monday in Barcelona.

According to an e-mail I received after inquiring about clsures on this holiday from Barcelona.de, because Monday is a holiday most sites will be open. I am assuming they mean museums. They did say shop would be closed. It is only a holiday in Barcelona. We booked our hotel back in October after some on our sailing had said it was difficult to find hotels.

Thanks for the information!

Mary Anne

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

Mary Anne

We are on the same cruise and also arriving early Sunday morning. Our plan was to rest Sunday and go touring on Monday but we were not aware that it was a holiday in Barcelona. I had looked into booking some city/museum/familia sagrada tours for Monday through Barcelona.com and it showed availability. I guess I will have to double check to make sure.

We are on the same cruise and also arriving early Sunday morning. Our plan was to rest Sunday and go touring on Monday but we were not aware that it was a holiday in Barcelona. I had looked into booking some city/museum/familia sagrada tours for Monday through Barcelona.com and it showed availability. I guess I will have to double check to make sure.

From some people in this thread, it appears that most tourist type locations will be open. I might be looking at a day tour on the Monday and doing the HoHo bus on Sunday after arrival.

Archived