looking for your expertise!

cluelyss18

Hello all you seasoned travelers!

We finally booked our trip..

May 20-27 San Juan to S Caribbean Carnival Victory

Flying in on May 19 getting in at about 12:30pm and staying at Radisson Ambassador...here are my questions...

1) Has anyone rented a 'charlie' car? or any other rental? A mini van looks like we could fit 7..and for the price I'm wondering if this will be cheaper than taxis. I do want to explore a bit.

2) How does the public bus work? Difficult to figure out? Does it run to the rain forest?? How much does it cost to OSJ?

3) Anything you recommend we NOT miss? Restaurants, shopping, attractions..

4) What time should we get to the pier? Did I read correctly that we can drop our bags and then go walking until it's time to get on the ship?

5) Coming home...our flight is at 12:40, we gonna make it? ;)

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!

Flying in on May 19 getting in at about 12:30pm and staying at Radisson Ambassador...here are my questions...

1) Has anyone rented a 'charlie' car? or any other rental? A mini van looks like we could fit 7..and for the price I'm wondering if this will be cheaper than taxis. I do want to explore a bit.

I have heard good things about charlie and with 7 people I think it would be cheaper than a taxi Getting Around By Taxi – Zones & Fares Explained | Puerto Rico Day Trips Travel Guide.

2) How does the public bus work? Difficult to figure out? Does it run to the rain forest?? How much does it cost to OSJ?

I would go to the forts, lots of history. They are $3 for one fort or $5 for both.

4) What time should we get to the pier? Did I read correctly that we can drop our bags and then go walking until it's time to get on the ship?

Yes, you can drop off your bags and even check in

and then go looking around.

Your flight is doable, there are lots taxi outside the baggage area and should be around $20 + $1 per bag.

Remember to get your bags checked at the AG inspection, have the taxi driver drop you off there first.

Enjoy your cruise and time in San Juan

By the time you check into the Radisson it might be a waste to rent a car and head to the Rain Forest.....it is about a 45 minute ride. Charlie's is fine and within walking distance of the Radisson......also there is a Hertz right next to the Radisson. Parking in Old San Juan is a challenge. The public bus stops right outside the Radisson and costs .75 cents. It is about 30 minutes into Old San Juan..........lots to see, do, restaurants, nightlife, etc. We usually take the bus from Condado to OSJ and taxi back to the hotel. I think heading to the rain forest would be better if you had a full day and got an early start.

You should be fine with the 12:40 flight.

1) Has anyone rented a 'charlie' car? or any other rental? A mini van looks like we could fit 7..and for the price I'm wondering if this will be cheaper than taxis. I do want to explore a bit. Driving and parking in San Juan is a nightmare. I think you'd be better off with a chartered tour in a van.

2) How does the public bus work? Difficult to figure out? Does it run to the rain forest?? How much does it cost to OSJ? From what we've experienced the public transportation is easy, however we've never taken it to the Rain Forest.

3) Anything you recommend we NOT miss? Restaurants, shopping, attractions.. Both forts, for sure. Just walking around OSJ is awesome. Highly recommend Cafe Mallorca for breakfast. Try a mallorca - they're dreamy.

4) What time should we get to the pier? Did I read correctly that we can drop our bags and then go walking until it's time to get on the ship? I've never sailed on Carinval out of SJU, but with Princess you can check in, drop your bags in your cabin and then explore. Princess doesn't leave until about 11pm so the entire day is open for exploring. Not sure what time you leave with Carnival.

5) Coming home...our flight is at 12:40, we gonna make it? ;) I'm sure you'll let the ship know what time your flight is so they'll make sure you disembark at the appropriate time. FYI - the SJU airport sucks. It's insanity at its best in there. Not to scare you or anything, but because it's so God-awful my DH and I are staying one night post - just to avoid the cluster at the airport on disembarkation day. I'd definitely let the cruise line know you need off at a certain time, immediately get a taxi (or buy a transfer through the line) and haul bootie to the airport.

The airport is tricky. We watched so many people immediately head to the ticket counter to check their bags and check in. Everyone was turned away because they didn't have their customs sticker on their suitcases. As soon as you enter the airport look for the glass enclosed x-ray machines. They don't always have every machine open. Our ticket counter was at one end of the airport and the open x-ray machine was quite a distance away. Thankfully I read the signs when we entered the airport, scooted down to the x-ray, got cleared, received our sticker and then headed back to the ticket counter. This is where we watched everyone get turned away - after standing in line!

Definitely make sure you get your bags scanned before going to the ticket counter.

Enjoy San Juan. It's a magical place and I dearly love it.

See my responses in blue.

See my responses in blue.

everything was in blue!! hahah thanks for the suggestions and the tips about the airport. My original idea was to stay a day later, but we decided on going a day earlier so people who have to get back to work on Monday can do so.

What the heck is a mallorca??

We had planned to rent a car and visit Rainforest but five minutes in a taxi changed that plan. We read that lots of people do but the traffic is really crazy.We were on the Victory and got to Pier around 12:30. Checked in quickly and ate on ship. Got back off and spent afternoon in OSJ. Very lovely. Do visit forts. We flew home day after but because I was unsure how soon we could get off. We were called at 7:00 to disembark.This is for U.S. Citizens. We carried our bags off. Very easy. Have bags USDA inspected when you arrive at airport. have fun.

We had planned to rent a car and visit Rainforest but five minutes in a taxi changed that plan. We read that lots of people do but the traffic is really crazy.We were on the Victory and got to Pier around 12:30. Checked in quickly and ate on ship. Got back off and spent afternoon in OSJ. Very lovely. Do visit forts. We flew home day after but because I was unsure how soon we could get off. We were called at 7:00 to disembark.This is for U.S. Citizens. We carried our bags off. Very easy. Have bags USDA inspected when you arrive at airport. have fun.

Did you go a day early? Did you do the forts while you were exploring OSJ after you ate on the ship? I'm just trying to figure out how far the forts are from the ship and whether we should do those sat when we get in or wait and do them sunday while we are killing time. I try and make the most out of every minute lol. So I'm researching to see what I want to do and what's best to do on Sat once we check in, and what to do Sunday after we drop our bags.

We found this guide on the cc board and used him. Excellent!!! Albert impressed us as a nice, family man who heard about cruise critic and is grateful when people send him business. He has a mini-van and includes some extra stops like a fish shack where locals go to buy conch fritters by a beach that was deserted. We even had time to walk the beach for a few minutes. Do a search of the San Juan board and you'll find more details or wait and be surprised. Surf Cab Tours – Albert Aguirre, tour guide, surfcabs@yahoo.com – bilingual, Spanish/English, (787)317-6907. We highly recommend him.

Also, check out this restaurant, barrachina dot com, birthplace of the pina colada:D!

There's a nice courtyard and the mofango dish is big enough to share! You might want to make a reservation as soon as you check into your hotel. We managed to be seated right away without one, but maybe we were lucky.

We found this guide on the cc board and used him. Excellent!!! Albert impressed us as a nice, family man who heard about cruise critic and is grateful when people send him business. He has a mini-van and includes some extra stops like a fish shack where locals go to buy conch fritters by a beach that was deserted. We even had time to walk the beach for a few minutes. Do a search of the San Juan board and you'll find more details or wait and be surprised. Surf Cab Tours – Albert Aguirre, tour guide, surfcabs@yahoo.com – bilingual, Spanish/English, (787)317-6907. We highly recommend him.

Also, check out this restaurant, barrachina dot com, birthplace of the pina colada:D!

There's a nice courtyard and the mofango dish is big enough to share! You might want to make a reservation as soon as you check into your hotel. We managed to be seated right away without one, but maybe we were lucky.

Thanks! what is mofongo?

Coming home...our flight is at 12:40, we gonna make it?

Flown in and out of San Juan three times and never had any issues catching a flight- anytime after 11 am should really be fine if you get off the ship early. The ship lets the people with the earliest flights depart first and if you carry your own luggage off, it takes less then 30 minutes average from the time you leave your room till you arrive at the airport. (customs is quick, and then just hop in a taxi straight to the ariport).

Once inside the airport, you have both an agriculture inspection and the typical security lines which can be long and crowded. However, like other major airports, the lines move fast. If you print your boarding pass the day before on the ship, you won't have to stand in line for tickets at the airport.

We flew in on Thursday and spent a couple of days at beach on the beach. We went to

to forts after ship came back because we left on Tuesday.If you want to see Rainforest I would check trip advisor or port reviews to find local tour service. we researched it but chose to spent time at beach. Likely you would have to go early Sunday.If I did that then I would try to see Forts on Saturday.If you do not go to Rf then you could do forts either day. They are close to Pier. We really enjoyed walking around OSJ. it is very pretty. lots of shops to look around .There is a good Marshall's just up from Pier. CVS if you need sodas or other last minute items. We ate at Metropol on Isle Verde.

I would say don't miss eating mofongo and a buttered mallorca.

Also, you can start checking in at 10:30, but you don't board the ship until 12. Also, you can't go to your cabin until 2:30. But yes, you have all day (until 9 pm) to go back ashore and do what you want in Old San Juan. Everything is very informal the day the ship is in Old San Juan.

Mofongos - mound of fried plantains with usually meat or seafood filling (our family has had shrimp, chicken and my favorite - conch), then covered in a sauce. Absolutely delicious, but very deceptive in how filling it is! We went to Mojitos on both of our last two trips (323 Recinto Sur) and had awesome mofongos there. Sort of a hole in the wall, strip mall diner look but don't be fooled! Excellent place!

And don't forget to try Mallorcas - a sweet,buttery,eggy type bread, made into a type of breakfast sandwich. We stopped at a place called - what else? "Cafeteria Mallorcas" on San Francisco st. A bit slow, but inexpensive food and tasty.

• 2 months later...

you are absolutely correct on albert. what a great guy. we went with him two weeks ago and had a great experience in the rain forest. he was there at the ship as promised and took us directly to the rain forest. was willing to do whatever we wanted as far as stopping, looking etc. he took pics of our group, made hats out of giant leaves and was very knowledgeable about everything puerto rican. albert is the man and you will not be disappointed if you go on a tour with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Already made our reservations for Barrachinas!!! Thank you

We flew in on Thursday and spent a couple of days at beach on the beach. We went to

to forts after ship came back because we left on Tuesday.If you want to see Rainforest I would check trip advisor or port reviews to find local tour service. we researched it but chose to spent time at beach. Likely you would have to go early Sunday.If I did that then I would try to see Forts on Saturday.If you do not go to Rf then you could do forts either day. They are close to Pier. We really enjoyed walking around OSJ. it is very pretty. lots of shops to look around .There is a good Marshall's just up from Pier. CVS if you need sodas or other last minute items. We ate at Metropol on Isle Verde.

Marshall's..as in the store we have here at home? Same company as Tj Maxx and Home Goods?

If we get to OSJ around 11-12 on Sunday, drop our bags, should we then go right to the forts, do those then do the self guided walking tour of the town? Am I wrong in thinking we can walk to all of this??

Marshall's..as in the store we have here at home? Same company as Tj Maxx and Home Goods?

If we get to OSJ around 11-12 on Sunday, drop our bags, should we then go right to the forts, do those then do the self guided walking tour of the town? Am I wrong in thinking we can walk to all of this??

Yes. The same Marshall's. The store is a bit rundown and not the cleanest but is very popular. We've stopped in a few times when we needed more sneaker sox or some other thing during our cruise. We see lots of crew shopping there as well as guests who like us are looking for something they forgot or stained etc :D

• 3 weeks later...

We were there a little over a week ago and ate at Barrachina's. While it was okay/good, I didn't think it was worth the prices. We also ate at Metropol and would highly recommend them. That was probably the best meal we ate the entire week.

I am booked at the Ambassador Raddison for 9-15-12 for one night. We get in from San Diego at about 6:30 p.m.

I was wondering how you liked the hotel and how much it cost to taxi to the cruise terminal.

I was thinking of changing to a nicer hotel but don't know if it is worth it being we are only there the one night.

Was the hotel in a nice location?

Archived