Taxi availability in Punta Arenas & Ushuaia

carolynh

We will have a day each in Punta Arenas & Ushuaia next month.

Can anyone advise if taxis are available at the port so we can use them for private tours.

If anyone has used one recently and can advise where they went, duration and approx price this will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

We will have a day each in Punta Arenas & Ushuaia next month.

Can anyone advise if taxis are available at the port so we can use them for private tours.

If anyone has used one recently and can advise where they went, duration and approx price this will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Taxis and local guides were plentiful at both Punta Arenas and Ushuaia ports when we were there in early January.

We had pre-arranged local private tour in Ushuaia and we did a 5 hour Tierra Del Fuego NP & City tour for about USD$60 per person with a group of 13. We did our own walking tour in Punta Arenas.

We had a group of 4 do taxi tours in both ports.

In Ushuaia, if you walk to the end of the pier and reach the first street, go to the left and in about 100 yards you will see a taxi terminal across the street on the right. We walked up and asked "Who speaks English?". About 3 guys there pointed at one guy and we told him what we wanted to do - go to Garibaldi Pass and see the Lakes, and the best sights. We asked what car he was driving and it looked OK, we asked how much and he said $140 for all of us. We replied $120 and we were off. We actually stopped several times for pictures, went to 2 lakes there, and stopped at a restaurant for cappachino and bathroom breaks. The cappachino was outstanding. The restaurant served the tour busses - which weren't there yet. When we got back - we gave the driver $150 and he was very appreciative. We went to lunch at a restaurant called Tante Nina which had the very best King Crab. Hint - order the natural plate and later shopped the main street.

In Puerto Arenas, as you exit the port building there are a lot of taxi and van guys standing around. We did the same as before - and had several choices. The one we picked had a brand new car and we were off to Ottway Bay to see the penguins. I think we paid $120. Could have had a van for the same price. Important to find a good English speaker who an relate what travelers want to find out. The guy we found once worked on cruise ships as a waiter On the way back, we stopped at the cemetary which was very nice. Our driver suggested a restaurant for lunch which was excellent. I think it was called Sistinos - it was about 4 blocks from the pier building. Tablecloths and excellent cassarole seafood dishes. I had 2 appetisers - 1 scallop and 1 King Crab dish. Great bread. Worth going to.

All in all, good trips and way cheaper than the Cruise lines offer.

Would like to recommend two guides for the same price as the taxis or less. In Ushuaia we used Gerardo Germain, was $120 for the car which held 4 persons...tour was amazing and we saw lots, beat the buses to the most important stops.

In Punta Arenas we were going to do the taxi but a couple weeks out found Patagonia Tours which was great, less money and did a great job. Our little group grew to 7 quickly and it was around $40 (I think) per person...:rolleyes:

Perhaps there are some guides and taxis available in these smallish towns but when you see 2000 plus people tendering into these places you realize that the ships and some local travel agencies really have tied up most of the

English speaking folks/guides and equipment. Only about 20 -25 ships stop per year so the infrstructure is not large for tourism. I would not want to try booking something the day of the trip -- Maybe you are luckier than me but if I have only one day for the "city" I want my plans to have the best possible chance of being excellent and that means prebooked at least and probably from the cruise line since they contract the big numbers that make the most money for the providers of limited services.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

j

Would like to recommend two guides for the same price as the taxis or less. In Ushuaia we used Gerardo Germain, was $120 for the car which held 4 persons...tour was amazing and we saw lots, beat the buses to the most important stops.

In Punta Arenas we were going to do the taxi but a couple weeks out found Patagonia Tours which was great, less money and did a great job. Our little group . t...o 7 quickly and it was around $40 (I think) per person...:rolleyes:

WOULD YOU PLEASE SEND NAME EMAIL EVEN PHONE. WILL SKYPE WHO U USED. SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

THANKs a lot yt?

themayblums@yahoo.com

I also usedPatagonia Tours in Punta Arenas for the Otway penguins -- beat the buses & were the only ones (besides the p's) there. Highly recommend.

I understand Patagonia does good tours, but we cancelled with them due to very high prices and went with SouthExcursions. We had excellent tours.

I understand Patagonia does good tours, but we cancelled with them due to very high prices and went with SouthExcursions. We had excellent tours.

heard that south excursions was not so great...maybe u were lucky or maybe someone else was unlucky.

heard that south excursions was not so great...maybe u were lucky or maybe someone else was unlucky.

We have used them on two cruises for several tours and transport.

The tour guides we had were all excellent, except the one in Punta Arenas, who was good, just not excellent.

• 5 weeks later...