10 day caribbean cruise aug 30 - concerns.

mrsg26

Hi I am just about to book a DIY trip to new York ( we are from uk) and a 10 day trip on the explorer of the seas going to Bermuda and the Caribbean on the 30th August 2012. I am booking for my mum who is tied to these dates but I am worried that it is completely the wrong time to be going on a Caribbean cruise. As the flights, hotel and cruise will all be booked separately I am concerned about the risk of hurricanes and whether it may delay my mum from getting home. I will search for the most appropriate insurance however in relation to the cruise is it likely that she will experience bad weather at each port? I appreciate that you cant predict the weather however if anyone has cruised around this time can they give me some advice? This trip is a once in a lifetime for my mum so want it to be perfect in every way. Thanks in advance.

I have taken a cruise many times at the end of August. We never had a problem until last year, when our post-cruise flight was canceled due to hurricane Irene, and we had to stay in Florida for two extra days.

It is VERY rare for a hurricane to hit NY/NJ directly, so your chance of being impacted at the embarkation/disembarkation point is low. It can still happen (as it did last year), but it's a small risk.

Otherwise, if there's a hurricane brewing in the Caribbean or near Bermuda, the captain will take a different path to avoid the storm. The itinerary might change, but this is something that can be taken in stride.

If this is the only time your mother can take a vacation, then I think you should go ahead and book it, along with the insurance. Chances are, everything will go smoothly as planned. But, if they don't, then just go with the flow - it'll work out in the end.

The chances of a direct hurricane cancelling or disrupting your trip dates are pretty slim, but there is a decent chance that the weather might not be great. Even a tropical storm in a different part of the Caribbean could result in heavy rain where you are. But even if it's bad it probably wouldn't be bad for the entire 10 days. I'd personally avoid this time year based on my previous experiences but I still vote to go for it if that's really the only option.

The main thing to be aware of is that your itinerary may change so if your heart is set on particular stops, it might not be the best time to book that cruise. If Bermuda/the caribbean is being hit by a hurricane and ports are closed or it's too dangerous for the ship to go, there's always the chance you'll end up in Canada!

We've cruised during hurricane season in the past and had zero issues, but there's always the chance. It certainly doesn't stop me from booking during this time of year at all.

Make sure to purchase cruise insurance should there be any issues getting to/from the port.

Your thoughts on insurance is good. But even if a hurricane does appear likely and you cancel, most insurance policies will not cover if your Mother's flight is on time and the ship leaves the port as scheduled. If an illness causes the entire trip to be cancelled then it is an entirely different set of rules. This happened to me once.

Book the trip and hope for the best.

Phil

we cruised during hurricane Irene departed Bermuda a full day early and spent an extra day at sea plus our 7 day turned into an 8 day because ports were closed in NY city we were on the gem read my cruise review to see what cruising in hurricane season is like . you just have to be Flexible because the capt makes changes to steer away from any storms so ports may be skipped in the interest of saftey:rolleyes: To see cruise review click on the link in my signature

Archived