The Adventures of Delta Dear AKA CalamityJane on the Valor 1/15- 1/21

Delta Dear

As I mentioned earlier, I am not much of a drinker. I am very sensitive to the acidity of pineapple so most foo-foo drinks are out because the often have pineapple juice.

I started reading threads on hear about the souvenier cups. I decided I wanted a Whale Tail cup because I've never had a Carnival DOD cup. So, I made it a point to find out what day the cups would be available. AH, the last sea day. Ok, I had to be sure to get one before the quota for the day ran out. (Don't really know if they have a quota, but I was taking no chances.

About 12:30 that afternoon, I hit the pool bar on the Lido aft deck by the pool. It was that bartender I'd talked to the day I asked when the cups would be available. He remembered our conversation.

I was SO HAPPY to see that the DOD was something called an Ultimate Suntan. LOL, I've got that covered !!! It contained dark rum, creme de banana, black rasberry brandy, orange juice sweet and sour mix and grenadine... YAY, no pineapple juice !! If it had had pineapple juice, Morgan would have had a foo-foo drink, like it or not.

Well, I took one sip and WHOA ! I KNEW it was not something you had on a stomach that had not eaten since breakfast. We grabbed a burger and hot dog and fries, then sat and watched the ice carving.

I took another sip after lunch....hmmm, still too strong.

The Whale Tail went to our cabin with me where it sat as I took tiny sips every now and then. It was DELICIOUS ! We went to dinner and came back. Morgan decided he did not want to go to the Legends Show, nor did he want to go to the drawing for the free cruise, so about 9:00, I set out for the Ivanhoe Theater, with my Whale Tail.

I nursed that baby all evening, finally finishing it by the time the Legends Show was over. I stood up to go back to the cabin and realized, that drink was still strong after all those hours. LOL

I did get back to the cabin without staggering, but when I told Morgan about my cautious walk back, he had a good laugh and said, 'Yes, your eyes told me that the drink was a bit strong for you."

My cup was worth it. LOL

Delta Dear,

I remember you posted a question a few months back on the "souvenir drink cup" thread regarding the Whale Tail drink cup and that you had never seen them but would like to get one. I replied that we were able to get ours on the Lido deck by the pool on a sea day (I believe it was our first sea day and it was before noon). I'm SO glad you were able to get one this time! I still have ours on one of our shelves with the DOD cups and the coconut monkeyheads. Love them all! :)

Question - did you happen to notice if they still had drinks in the Blowfish cups? I think those are newer as they weren't available on our last cruise in 2010.

+1 lol

Delta Dear wonderful review! I remember your thread about your hubby and i'm sooo happy you guys were able to go in January. Thanks for posting:D:p

Thanks, KrystalWaters. Yes, it is a real blessing to have him well and able to enjoy the cruise. We appreciated your well wishes back when I was writing about his challenges.

I loved your review and you both make a beautiful couple. Now I'm reading your Legend review because I'll be on the Legend in 91 days. ..*insert squeal here*

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this.

Oh, wonderful, Lyncoya. We loved the Legend ! Those 90 days will fly by before you know it.

Thank you for a great review!

I have to ask, what is that delicious looking Mocha drink you had on sailaway? Do you know what's in it? I might have to try one :)

Calandine, once you have a Chocolate Mocha Getaway you will be hooked. LOL It is Brogans Irish Cream, Goslings Black Seal Rum, and rich Ghiradelli Chocolate. Seriously, sinfully delicious. Have one for me while you are at it. LOL Yep, that is whipped cream on top and a cherry, of course. I think the name may be Mocha Chocolate Getaway, but whatever you say, they will know just what you mean !

Here's a closer view from the Legend when I first discovered them. YUMMY

Day6DayatSea-1.jpg

Thank you for the review. The story of the 80 year old couple was so touching. I hope my DH and I will be able to do that when we are in our 80's.

I'm glad you were touched by it. It was just SO SWEET. I hope the same for you and your husband.

Delta Dear,

I remember you posted a question a few months back on the "souvenir drink cup" thread regarding the Whale Tail drink cup and that you had never seen them but would like to get one. I replied that we were able to get ours on the Lido deck by the pool on a sea day (I believe it was our first sea day and it was before noon). I'm SO glad you were able to get one this time! I still have ours on one of our shelves with the DOD cups and the coconut monkeyheads. Love them all! :)

Question - did you happen to notice if they still had drinks in the Blowfish cups? I think those are newer as they weren't available on our last cruise in 2010.

You know, now that you mentioned it, I did not see the Blowfish Cup. They had the Monkey Head cups and the Disco Ball cups, but I never saw anyone with the Blowfish one. Hmm, wonder if they still have it. You might pose that question on the boards. Thanks, you were probably one of the responders who told me to ask about when the cups would be available. I was so excited to actually get one. LOL, it sure doesn't take much to excite a cruiser, does it ?

Great review Jane! Thanks for posting

Thanks, Cupcrazy, glad you enjoyed my review.

There are two more things I forgot to mention.

The ship was probably at capacity because three categories were SOLD OUT weeks before we left. It did not feel crowded at all. The only time you felt a it was when waiting for the back elevators around dinner time. Once in a while we'd ride up, then ride back down. Even at that, it wasn't bad. I did have trouble reading the directional arrows above the elevators, though.

I never did hear how many children were on board, other than one unruly group in the Ivanhoe one evening, they were fine.

I was surprised at the number of babies and toddlers on the ship. I have never noticed that before. I can't imagine cruising with young children but there were lots and lots of youngsters. They were no trouble, I had just never seen many on our other cruises.

thanks for a great review....and thanks for giving me a new drink to try..... gotta have an ultimate suntan...(but i know in advance to drink it slow)

i also agree with your tagline..... i should have BEEN cruising.....

:)

Great review Jane - made me feel almost there. So sorry the Fish & Chips didn't work out for you - was one of our favs on the Glory.

You and Morgan both look fantastic. What a blessing! So looking forward to 2013 when we all sail together again.

thanks for a great review....and thanks for giving me a new drink to try..... gotta have an ultimate suntan...(but i know in advance to drink it slow)

i also agree with your tagline..... i should have BEEN cruising.....

:)

Have one for me, too, atinys ! Glad you enjoyed the review.

Great review Jane - made me feel almost there. So sorry the Fish & Chips didn't work out for you - was one of our favs on the Glory.

You and Morgan both look fantastic. What a blessing! So looking forward to 2013 when we all sail together again.

Thanks, Tyna, I'm sorry you weren't with us ! But the gang will all be there in 2013 !

i just want to say this was a pretty awesome review i really enjoyed reading it i am doing the same cruise may 6th i cant wait!!! my question for you is do they have karaoke? my wife loves that and she is a big karaoke person thanks again

GREAT review, and the "Ultimate Suntan" a definite drink to be tried in the future.

Glad you and Morgan had a great time together; your "voice" is very positive and upbeat.

Thanks CapsR1. I love to talk as well as write, so you get my "voice," no matter how you meet me ! I don't know if the Drink of the Day drinks are available all the other days, or not. Do you know ? Ultimate Suntan was on the last sea day.

Just for the record I ordered just chips and pretzels. One night from room service and got two huge bowls!

felt guilty so added some chocolate cake ;)

Love the review and thanks for the ride.

Now that is a SMART idea. Thank you, I will do just that the next time. I always have an extra baggie or two, so I can save a few salty snacks for another night, too.

i just want to say this was a pretty awesome review i really enjoyed reading it i am doing the same cruise may 6th i cant wait!!! my question for you is do they have karaoke? my wife loves that and she is a big karaoke person thanks again

IGottaP, I can't believe we never even went to the karaoke ! We always enjoy it. As a matter of fact, much to my surprise, Morgan actually did a Lou Rawls karaoke on our first Carnival cruise.

Have a wonderful time. so glad you enjoyed the review.

Jane

Glad you guys had a great cruise.

Funny thing was we were getting on as you were getting off. We had booked the Dream for last week but when they announced the Aruba itinerary pounded on it.

Regards from Sheila.

Hey Stu, I knew you and Sheila were getting on as we were getting off. How was your cruise ? I actually looked at the line several times as we waited for our son to pick us up. I thought I might just see you, but obviously, I didn't.

Any chance you will come on the Breeze on March 2, 2013 with the Maniacs ? We enjoyed meeting you on the Miracle.

Tell Sheila hi for me. Her description of Orient Beach bathers will forever amuse me when I think of St. Maarten.

Hey Stu, I knew you and Sheila were getting on as we were getting off. How was your cruise ? I actually looked at the line several times as we waited for our son to pick us up. I thought I might just see you, but obviously, I didn't.

Any chance you will come on the Breeze on March 2, 2013 with the Maniacs ? We enjoyed meeting you on the Miracle.

Tell Sheila hi for me. Her description of Orient Beach bathers will forever amuse me when I think of St. Maarten.

Had a real nice time, always nice to get away from winter.

March 2 is not likely for us as we like to do either Jan or Feb for reason stated above.

Hope we can get together again though.

Thank you for your review, Jane! Last weekend, we booked a B2B on the Valor for November. We're really excited, and these reviews are making me even more so!

Amyj23, I'm sure you will have a great time. It is a

lovely ship. Glad the review excited you. There are several other Valor reviews in the works. Where were they when we were planning ? LOL

Thanks for the interesting review of the Valor. You did a great job! Loved the pictures too! We will be on it Feb. 18 but doing a southern cruise and can't wait. We have done an eastern and western cruise on the Miracle and Dream. It sounds like you really liked the Valor and it was pretty easy to get around. I know I overpacked as I always do but you never know what you will need. Enjoy your next cruise and I hope you write a review with pictures again!!

Thank you Delta Dear for a great review! We will be on the Valor in April and always appreciate an honest "heads up" before traveling. My husband has some mobility issues secondary to a service injury and your insight is sooo helpful. More importantly, we are planning to send our parents on a cruise and you are the perfect example of "YES, you CAN!". I plan on sharing this review with them ASAP. Perhaps we'll send them on the Breeze...:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello CJ,

Thanks for the review - I am a first time cruiser - going on the Valor in Oct/12 and your review was so helpful. I am one of those people that just can't get enough of a new thing and was so happy to find your review.

Thank you.

Archived