Cafe du Monde near port in New Orleans?

renee1222

I just found a Cafe du Monde that appears to be very close to the Port of New Orleans. Has anybody eaten there? Is it as good as the original and is it within walking distance of the port, or is there parking nearby? Also, it opens at 9am, if the cruise is scheduled arrive back to port at 8am, what is the average time for disembarking? Sorry for all the questions, first time cruiser trying to make a plan....

It's been a couple of years but we found and ate at one in the Riverwalk Mall which is right at the port. Cafe Du Monde is not that far of a walk from the port if you want to go to the original one. However, we found the one at Riverwalk to be much cleaner. Ask if you have more questions, I'll check back.

The port is alongside the shopping area/convention area. The satellite Cafe DuMonde is in the shopping area and you can step outside on the boardwalk with your coffee and beignets and see the back of the ship. That said, I'm not sure how long the walk is from one to the other via walkways and gates, escalators and halls, etc. But it's not far.

This Cafe DuMonde had all the same food as the original, it's just more of a long counter in the mall idea than the original tent idea... Lots of windows and seats overlooking the river (and the cruise ship). It was hard to sit there and not be going on a cruise! But the beignets made it a little easier :rolleyes:

If you follow the river (like you were cruising out to the ocean - that way), and walk along the river (past Riverwalk mall) you can be there in fifteen minutes. Also, if you go to the one not in the mall and go early in the day, you may not have long lines. We did that last year without any people waiting. I want to say it was before nine in the morning.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a 3 year old post, but we would like to do this when sailing this year on the Dream. Is it still possible to walk from Erato Pier to Riverwalk? We had wanted to catch the Trolley to Central Grocery, but it doesn't seem to come to the Erato Pier. Will there be sidewalks for us to use?

We would like to check our bags with a porter, then walk/Trolley to Riverwalk/Central Grocery. Then come back and check in for the cruise -- or we could check in, and then leave to find some beignets. If anyone has done this recently, I would love hear how you managed.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
I know this is a 3 year old post, but we would like to do this when sailing this year on the Dream. Is it still possible to walk from Erato Pier to Riverwalk? We had wanted to catch the Trolley to Central Grocery, but it doesn't seem to come to the Erato Pier. Will there be sidewalks for us to use?

We would like to check our bags with a porter, then walk/Trolley to Riverwalk/Central Grocery. Then come back and check in for the cruise -- or we could check in, and then leave to find some beignets. If anyone has done this recently, I would love hear how you managed.

Thank you.

I would like to know this too.

• 2 weeks later...

When you leave the terminal area, you will see a set of outdoor stairs that leads to a covered walkway along the river and to the entrance to Riverwalk. Cafe du Monde is about a city block into Riverwalk, and easy to find.

From where you entered Riverwalk you will see a set of doors on the other side. These lead to an escalator that will take you down to the Julia Street trolley station.