What to do in Wellington & Dunedin

onafocus

Wellington....last time we did a tour with armchair tours and charters, their city and seals tour. It was absolutely wonderful, and covered so much, very scenic, and a very nice guide. When previously in Wellington on land based trip, we did similar tour with Rover Tours, also good, but didn't go as far south as Armchair. Have a look at http://www.armchairtoursandcharters.com Totally recommend this tour, best overall of both city and scenic south coast. Highly recommend this one.

Dunedin....first time we did tour with Elmwildlife Tours. This also was fabulous, and actually covered more than mentioned on their site. Bit pricey, but well worth the cost, would not hesitate to do again. Last Nov we simply hired a car, and drove out to the Otago Peninsula again. Great day, easy driving, and cost efficient. I would say the Otago Peninsula is the place to go, for one day in Dunedin...stunning scenery. The city is ok, like all cities I guess.

Hope this helps.

Jen

Things to see in Dunedin

Dunedin Railway Station, built in 1906 2nd most photograph build in the southern Hemisphere (you can also book scenic train rides)

Cadbury chocolate factory tour (very near the railway station)

Baldwin Street is considered the world's steepest residential street with a 35% grade (which I didn't hear about until I got back to the ship)

Wellington Cable Car

Wellington botanical gardens

There's lots more to Wellington than the Cable Car and Botanic Gardens too. Te Papa, the national museum of NZ, converts museum-haters into museum lovers. It's one of the new generation museums with lots of hands on exhibits and even interactive rides. I know some cruises offer tours and because it's so big, they're a great way to start.

Wellington is also known as Wellywood, so if you're a movie buff, you'll be amazed at how many films have some Weta magic applied. A lot of the guides have worked on the movies so have some cool stories - and with The Hobbit being filmed in NZ right now for a release at Xmas, you never know who you'll spot.

If you come from the Northern Hemisphere, you'll find the stars are all upside down here. At the top of the Wellington Cable Car is Carter Observatory - great place to spend 90 minutes or so and the planetarium show will help you spot the Southern Cross and tell you Maori stories of voyaging and navigation.

And if you're coming to NZ for the nature, ZEALANDIA is outstanding. Sort of like NZ's natural history museum, with a wonderful indoor and interactive exhibition area and then the valley to wander. You won't believe this is so close to NZ's capital city - it's less than 10 minutes from the city. It's the only conservation area in the world I know of working to a 500 year plan. Free shuttles leave on the half hour from the i-SITE Visitor Centre or from the top of the Cable Car on cruise days (not sure about timing).

Other options - food tours, beer tours, upscale shopping plus a hop on hop off service, nature tours and general city sightseeing. You'll see close to a full list at http://www.wellingtonnz.com/sights_activities/results?filter_saa_type=219

Hope you have a great cruise.

Agree Kiwijo......you are fortunate to live there, as it is our favourite city/area in NZ. We went back to Wellington for a land holiday, as there is so much to see and do. With just the one day in 'town' though, I personally think one of the tours is best, as they cover the main spots of the city (cable car etc), and then the diversity of the south coast (which is so close to the city...you lucky ducks!!) It is a very easy city to do on your own, compact, if you do not wish to spend money for a tour, but you miss seeing the coast. If it rained, it would somewhat dampen the day...lol...another reason for taking a small tour.

Just my opinion for cruisers trying to cram in as much as poss in one day.

Jen

Agree Kiwijo......you are fortunate to live there, as it is our favourite city/area in NZ. We went back to Wellington for a land holiday, as there is so much to see and do. With just the one day in 'town' though, I personally think one of the tours is best, as they cover the main spots of the city (cable car etc), and then the diversity of the south coast (which is so close to the city...you lucky ducks!!) It is a very easy city to do on your own, compact, if you do not wish to spend money for a tour, but you miss seeing the coast. If it rained, it would somewhat dampen the day...lol...another reason for taking a small tour.

Just my opinion for cruisers trying to cram in as much as poss in one day.

Jen

:) Glad your like our 'coolest little capital'. Let's know if you're ever back this way and I'll find you a treasure or two you haven't seen yet!

:) Glad your like our 'coolest little capital'. Let's know if you're ever back this way and I'll find you a treasure or two you haven't seen yet!

Typical kiwis...such nice people:) I have no doubt that there is more to see, even after spending a week there. I think that the visiting ships should all do an overnighter. One day is just not enough. I guess the bottom line is, that no matter what you choose to do in/around Wellington, you won't be disappointed....and you will want to come back. This is one port you need to be ashore asap.

Jen

Being totally upfront there isn't much to do in Dunedin. A trip to Larnach Castle is pleasant enough and you can do this very cost effectively by renting a car. While there we managed to tag on to the commentary being given by a Princess tour - they were only getting a whistle-stop tour - we spent a few hours wandering ourselves.

Archived