Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

All cruise ships have a room directly behind the bridge which is a smaller version of the bridge and has monitors for cameras as does the bridge,it is also used by the ships officers for their day to day work and the Navigators for maps. On the Ruby Princess the room has curtains that divide the room from the bridge.

videos cameras are not allowed on the bridge at any time so it begs the question of who was there and why? was it a passenger who has sneaked in?

Puzzle .... Also towards the end of the 2nd video who noticed a totaly empty promenade deck with lifeboats still secured near the end of the video?

Your correct about cruise ships having a secondary control station, some are in separate rooms and I've seen others in another section of the bridge.

But, regarding video cameras (a regular cameras) I have seen video and/or digital cameras used on all of my many bridge tours.

On one tour, my cruise mate recorded a 15 minute demonstration by the Captain operating the docking controls and a channel transit using the navigation controls set in computer practice mode.

Perhaps it depends on the cruise line, ship and/or Captain.

John

and I was hungry,

But she just ate dinner, right? Sounds like more creative writing by the press.

Remember what she said in the Oggi article:

"I HAD HUGE SACRIFICE TO STUDY" 'Then you know that I speak five languages, in my country and abroad have received diplomas of higher studies in France and I attended an academy is very important.

I'm busy, I was the best in my class, I had excellent grades and all for what? To be dragged through the mud without any information from journalists who allow themselves to write about me?

I can not look into the faces of my neighbors, I am ashamed to go into the shops. "

The film itself would give a very vague idea of a 'time frame' due to the direction the ship is listing, if the bows are to the right and the camera is pointing to the port side then this would indicate that the film was taken shortly after the incident and before the ship turned back towards Giglio, it might be possible to gauge from the film when the ship turned back and thus it started listing on the starboard side.

Rgds

:):):)

Ah, okay! That makes sense :)

Your correct about cruise ships having a secondary control station, some are in separate rooms and I've seen others in another section of the bridge.
When we did the tour on Conquest, the Chief Engineer explained that the ship could be navigated from the engine control room if necessary. That's also my understanding from the cargo ships my son has sailed as part of the engineering department.

But she just ate dinner, right? Sounds like more creative writing by the press.

Remember what she said in the Oggi article:

"I HAD HUGE SACRIFICE TO STUDY" 'Then you know that I speak five languages, in my country and abroad have received diplomas of higher studies in France and I attended an academy is very important. I'm busy, I was the best in my class, I had excellent grades and all for what? To be dragged through the mud without any information from journalists who allow themselves to write about me? I can not look into the faces of my neighbors, I am ashamed to go into the shops. "

Her remarks are a confirmation that the Court of Public Opinion has convicted her and her punishment is public ridicule and approbation or as they use to say in the UK, "sent into coventry".

Regarding her bragadocia on her studies and diplomas I reminded of a 1970s Illinois political story. A Chicago newspaper ran an expose with statistics indicating 66% of the secretaries of Illinois legislators had failed the basic typing skills test. :eek:

Several months later, a very brash and candid secretary put plaque on her desk that read: "I can type, too!". She won over the hearts (if not the minds) of many members of the general public. :D

John

The newly posted english translation confirms my earlier post.

I guess it depends what source you use. In this article in English it states that vabbuo is a Neapolitan expression meaning, “Let them go, it’s OK.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/301596/Concordia-s-bridge

Also, two native speaking Italians came on here and confirmed that it means OK - but whatever.....;)

When we did the tour on Conquest, the Chief Engineer explained that the ship could be navigated from the engine control room if necessary. That's also my understanding from the cargo ships my son has sailed as part of the engineering department.

That makes perfect sense.

From what Michelle said it would cost her...vey low ball.

$500 would just about cover the registration, intake, and test fees. ;)

That awful "Go back to your cabin" instruction and the "Go back to your desk" instructions some Twin Tower workers were given on 9-11 should be stopped. What is it with people insisting that everything is okay when they do not really know if everything is okay or not? Everyone on the Concordia should have been immediately instructed to board the lifeboats the split second that grinding noise was heard. When we cruised I always felt (and more so now) everyone should participate in a lifeboat drill where the boats were dropped to water level and raised back into place. I don't care how long it takes. Or if it shaves some time off of the cruise. I also wondered about ships and skyscrapers having top to bottom ladders in multiple places incorporated into the architecture/design on their exteriors .

That awful "Go back to your cabin" instruction and the "Go back to your desk" instructions some Twin Tower workers were given on 9-11 should be stopped. What is it with people insisting that everything is okay when they do not really know if everything is okay or not? Everyone on the Concordia should have been immediately instructed to board the lifeboats the split second that grinding noise was heard. When we cruised I always felt (and more so now) everyone should participate in a lifeboat drill where the boats were dropped to water level and raised back into place. I don't care how long it takes. Or if it shaves some time off of the cruise. I also wondered about ships and skyscrapers having top to bottom ladders in multiple places incorporated into the architecture/design on their exteriors .
We lost a neighbor at the Twin Towers so I know very well. She was in the 2nd tower and was about to leave when her boss told her all was well that it was only the 1st tower that got hit and to stay at her desk. She called her husband and told him this and while she was on the phone with him the tower she was in got hit and she was above the point of impact so she could not escape. After that I will not listen to any orders to stay put and will leave as fast as I can.

This being said, there was no way they could have predicted that the 2nd tower would be hit. Everyone thought it was an accident at first. The difference between this and the Concordia is that the people in command KNEW and DELAYED. I'm sure if Schettino would have been in control of the situation and acted according to procedures he wouldn't be in house arrest today.

That awful "Go back to your cabin" instruction and the "Go back to your desk" instructions some Twin Tower workers were given on 9-11 should be stopped.

I agree. I know it happens a lot, and I know they do it because they think people will panic, but does it help? I don't think so. I'm pretty certain that the ship accidents that kept their passengers informed were, if anything, more orderly.

It's like the mentality that lies to children about major events. Generally the kids can handle it if the parent is calm and matter-of-fact, but are more traumatised if they feel something is wrong and are left to try to figure it out on their own.

And we're not children!

I happen to think that in the case of the Concordia, it was the launch problems with the lifeboats that actually caused the loss of life, but never-the-less...keep everyone informed! Trust is important in an emergency!

Vabbuò is the Southern Italian versione of vabbè, which is short for va bene (it's okay). It's used all the time, so it can be translated in different ways I guess.. like for example I decide to go out but it starts raining. So I say: "vabbé, let's take the umbrella and get out anyway!"

Vabbuò is the Southern Italian versione of vabbè, which is short for va bene (it's okay). It's used all the time, so it can be translated in different ways I guess.. like for example I decide to go out but it starts raining. So I say: "vabbé, let's take the umbrella and get out anyway!"
Thanks for this. My Italian is improving with the help of our Italian posters. Did you get a chance to watch the video Part II? If you could offer a summary that would be great. Grazie mille.

Also, who is leaking all this stuff to the press? Do you think this is the diagram that Domnica drew? If so, how did it get to the newspapers?

http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/11/foto/il_disegno_di_domnica-29733121/1/

Thanks for this. My Italian is improving with the help of our Italian posters. Did you get a chance to watch the video Part II? If you could offer a summary that would be great. Grazie mille.

Also, who is leaking all this stuff to the press? Do you think this is the diagram that Domnica drew? If so, how did it get to the newspapers?

http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/02/11/foto/il_disegno_di_domnica-29733121/1/

Is this a drawing of the bridge?

Is this a drawing of the bridge?

It does give an appearance of a small scale drawing of a bridge.

I don't think Domenica drew it out. She may have been placing some key figures around it tho from the video people seemed to be moving around.

This story seems to have more leaks than a broken faucet. :rolleyes:

(Off topic and no need to reply but if you are a big music fan, you may want to check out the Whitney Houston report. She was found dead at the age of 48.)

I just got home and need to read all the news!

Another way to use vabbè which can be close to whatever is for example if someone starts telling me a super long story

"bla bla bla bla bla bla......"

then I say

"vabbè, get to the point!"

in this particular situation vabbuò from Schettino is unacceptable because we Italians with this vabbuò feel that it doesn't care or it doesn't realize how bad the situation is

It does give an appearance of a small scale drawing of a bridge.

I don't think Domenica drew it out. She may have been placing some key figures around it tho from the video people seemed to be moving around.

This story seems to have more leaks than a broken faucet. :rolleyes:

(Off topic and no need to reply but if you are a big music fan, you may want to check out the Whitney Houston report. She was found dead at the age of 48.)

Yes - thanks for clarifying this. She was presented with this drawing and she wrote in what is written by hand. It was reported that there are more diagrams and drawings but this is the only one that grew legs and walked out. :)

Yes that's right. Domnica drew on the diagram where she and the others were on the the bridge. She points out the captain's captain in one of the numbers.

In looking at the list under C- Captain's Cabin, what is that she is indicating is number 2? Suitcase? :confused:

yes, my suitcase. But she writes it in French: ma valise

The second video doesn't really say anything new. You hear at the beginning the announcement to go to the muster station with your life jacket, then there are some kids joking and saying "hi mom, I love you" "we are gonna make it" "we are at Giglio, you can even come to my place, I'm from Siena!"

Looks like the whole video is now at the Court of Grosseto and they're gonna meet and interrogate the author soon.

Archived