Avoid this cabin on Island Princess

bear17

Just returned from Island Princess partial Panama Canal cruise. We had Baja 723 (deck 11). This was the Stateroom From Hell. The engine noise and vibration was incredible. I did most of my sleeping in the deck chairs. The cruise was completely sold out so we suffered night after night. In the end, Princess did give us and the folks in B721 some onboard credits but it will be a long, long, long time before I ever want to take another Princess cruise. Sleepless nights impact everything.

Just returned from Island Princess partial Panama Canal cruise. We had Baja 723 (deck 11). This was the Stateroom From Hell. The engine noise and vibration was incredible. I did most of my sleeping in the deck chairs. The cruise was completely sold out so we suffered night after night. In the end, Princess did give us and the folks in B721 some onboard credits but it will be a long, long, long time before I ever want to take another Princess cruise. Sleepless nights impact everything.

I never book a cabin aft of the center elevator for that very reason. By the same token, I check what would be around me in every direction before I do book.

Going for an 'Upgrade' or a 'Guarantee' for me is also a 'No No'

I learned this after my first cruise. If the cabin is in the wrong place, I don't book. Simple.

john

Eek! I am on the same floor (of Golden) in a month! But are room is towards the very front of the ship. Think we will have the same problem with the engine noise? We're poor college students so we kinda just went with what we could afford. :)

Thanks!

Jenovia

but it swill be a long, long, long time before I ever want to take another Princess cruise. Sleepless nights impact everything.

I'm sorry you had that experience. That would certainly have an impact on a vacation. That being said, I would not stop cruising with Princess because I got a noisy cabin. It's important to check with travel agents or folks on cruise critic before booking a cabin if you're unsure about it.

Friends of ours had a noisy cabin on the Grand last year. We're traveling with them again this spring. Don't know if they received any compensation from Princess. It was truly a miserable experience for them.

Since my DH snores something awful--I have some great ear plugs that I can recommend. You can get them at any drugstore or Walmart.

I never book a cabin aft of the center elevator for that very reason. By the same token, I check what would be around me in every direction before I do book.

Going for an 'Upgrade' or a 'Guarantee' for me is also a 'No No'

I learned this after my first cruise. If the cabin is in the wrong place, I don't book. Simple.

john

On our last cruise on the Sapphire Princess (granted, it is a different class of ship from the Island Princess), we had a cabin aft of the aft elevators and only noticed a lot of vibration on the last day when the Sapphire had to complete a 360 degree turn in the Port of LA because of the impending drydock and the supplies on the dock that had to be loaded. If you have a cabin that is forward, you'll only experience noise when the ship is docking...

Eek! I am on the same floor (of Golden) in a month! But are room is towards the very front of the ship. Think we will have the same problem with the engine noise? We're poor college students so we kinda just went with what we could afford. :)

Thanks!

Jenovia

Sorry to hear you had a less than stellar cruise due to the location of the cabin. Doesn't seem like a great reason to dismiss Princess from your future cruises. I imagine every ship in every line has some noisy, avoid-at-all-costs cabins. Location is very important and a cabin number search on this board can go a long way to steering you in the right direction. The elevators, engines etc have to go somewhere.

You may want to reconsider a statement made in a fit of pique...Princess has so much to offer that is good.

No-not good....BRILLIANT!

Norris, who rolls with the punches and the waves

Archived