Americans should buy_____? in Grand Cayman.

SASSYMI2

If you buy a whole box then that would take care of the packing. For smaller quantities I'm sure you could take them in your carry on. Just remember to pack any cigar cutter in your checked bags.

Cigars should preferably be stored in a humidor for optimal preservation. For the relatively short period of time during your trip they should be fine in your cabin or bags. If you want to go all out you can check for a travel humidor but that may be overdoing it, IMHO.

As long as the cigars are humidified for a sufficient period of time before they are enjoyed you will be fine. If you plan to bring cigars home in the future you can find inexpensive, crush-proof travel humidors on Cigars International or Thompson's web sites.

You cannot take turtle shell products back into the States. Even though the turtles used in Cayman are farm raised, the US government prohibits importation of products made from these endangered species.

Aficionados of cigars may want to buy a couple genuine Cuban cigars. Smoke them before you return to the States because you cannot bring them into the US either.

You can bring Cuban Cigars into the US I belive the limit is two per person.

You can bring Cuban Cigars into the US I belive the limit is two per person.

What?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at (202) 622-2430 or via facsimile at (202) 622-1657.

All I know is one of my friends bought several Cuban cigars when a group of us went to Cancun 2 years ago, he then had each of us take 2 into the US for him and none of us had any problems.

All I know is one of my friends bought several Cuban cigars when a group of us went to Cancun 2 years ago, he then had each of us take 2 into the US for him and none of us had any problems.

:D Either they weren't really Cuban cigars, or you got very lucky. Nice friend, not to tell you that he was having you act as a mule for his illegal goods. Hopefully he would have paid your fines if you'd gotten caught... :eek:

Black coral jewelrey restricted in being brought back to the U.S? I find that funny as the same jeweler is also in the US Virgin Islands. I was just there and it's the exact same jeweler.

Just because it is the same jeweler doesnt mean that they sell them same exact goods... if it is illegal in the US then it is illegal to sell in the USVI...

Walmart could sell it in mexico if it were legal but if it is illegal in the US then they wouldnt sell it there, even though they are the same retailer...

You can bring all the Cuban cigars back into the States that you want, just don't get caught because they are illegal. Just a matter of luck with the random checks...

You can bring all the Cuban cigars back into the States that you want, just don't get caught because they are illegal. Just a matter of luck with the random checks...

We didn't hide them, we actually claimed them as Cuban Cigars and customs didn't say anything to any of us, that was 2 years ago so maybe they have gotten stricter, but they said as long as they were for personal use and not to sell it was okay. I didn't smuggle them in.

Several liquor stores are located on West Bay Rd., the road along Seven Mile Beach. Cost will depend on what rum and how big a bottle. Figure paying around 40%-50% more than back home.

Also, you should use discretion on where you imbibe. Most of the beach clubs have bars and expect patrons to utilize them. No problems on a public section of the beach like Governor's or Cemetery.

Every foreign country is noteable for certain goods that are unique to that particular country. What does Grand Cayman have that Americans can't get at home, and like to buy when visiting?

7 fathams rum !!!!!

Archived