Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

This morning Voe Earl has returned to the wreck site and Mario B is doing laps off the coast of Elba.

Might just be my imagination but I think Mario B might finally be on the move, heading back towards Giglio (been watching VesselFinder.com).

Mindyou, now I've posted this she'll probably do a U-turn and add another lap off Elba!

Can't find any resort webcams to 'spy' on Mario B.

What is the point of keeping these things doing loops for days on end? Mario B spent probably 3 days doing that with S1 and S2 prior to delivering S2 and now it is back to doing this. Why not moor at some place nearby while the site is ready for the next sponson?

It is always Mario B that does laps. Maybe she does not have an anchor sufficient to hold her and a barge. When they finished with S5 and moved back to do S18, Garibaldo sat stationary in St Stefano bay for a week with S4. And right now Lukas is tied up at Piombino with an empty barge. (Also right now Garibaldo is tied up in Livorno at the quay where a lot of the sponsons were stored - perhaps loading some port side sponsons?)

Might just be my imagination but I think Mario B might finally be on the move, heading back towards Giglio (been watching VesselFinder.com).

Mindyou, now I've posted this she'll probably do a U-turn and add another lap off Elba!

Can't find any resort webcams to 'spy' on Mario B.

You may be right. She is well past the end of all her "loops"

Here is a live action webcam at Piombino that points across the straights to Elba. If it was not hazy you might have seen Mario B when she was still doing her laps. If timed correctly you can catch the barges coming down from Livorno. They are easy to spot loaded with sponsons. Not so much when the barges are empty.

http://www.comune.piombino.li.it/index.php?id_sezione=979

Edited by Bearded Engineer

Wow, thank you everyone! Some really good links and pics there I couldnt have found without your help. Fascinating stuff.

I clearly see the top of the bridge removed now, it was one of those things where when you weren't sure what to look for it was hard to see, but now its obvious.

One thought I have, is are they going to put deflectors in front of Sponsons 1 & 2 each side? Its just thats a big flat area facing the direction of travel that not only makes it more resistant to tow, but puts a lot of strain on those joints if you see what I mean.

Tonight Mario B is sailing north, presumably it is on its way to pick up another couple of sponsons. This may mean she will be back on site on Sunday.

Its looking more and more likely that all the sponsons will have been fitted before the decision is public made as to the final destination.

Its looking more and more likely that all the sponsons will have been fitted before the decision is public made as to the final destination.

So true Clive. There are a couple of articles on the Giglio website that reflect discontent with the process for removal. One involves a letter the Mayor sent to those in charge, Costa and a few Presidents, and then discontent among the council of Giglio. I didn't copy them here because my translation site is not very good but the jest is people aren't happy. The people of Giglio want guarantees of success with removal with as little disruption to their routine as possible. Sometimes there just comes a point when you have to trust those with the knowledge of this project to do their job. Accept what they think is the best way to remove it and let them do it.

Well Mario B is still docked in Livorno, presumably loading two more sponsons.

Meanwhile there seems to be movement on site with Buccaneer moving a little bit away. Could this be the start of the reorganisation with Conquest repositioning to the port side.

This should give us our first view of the starboard side with all its sponsons fitted.

Just read those articles SB. They seem to think as soon as CC leaves the site it will all be over and they will immediately go back to as things were prior to 13/1/12.

As I understand it there will be a heavy engineering presence for a long time to remove the platform and all the thousands of cement bags etc, that CC lies on at the moment.

I don't really follow the line that their tourist industry has suffered great harm as a result of the sinking and that as soon as things clear up then the tourist industry will recover straight away. I believe that the worlds tourist industry has taken a major hit since the banking crisis and in a way Giglio has been insulated against the worst of it with people coming to see the recovery operation

Just read those articles SB. They seem to think as soon as CC leaves the site it will all be over and they will immediately go back to as things were prior to 13/1/12.

As I understand it there will be a heavy engineering presence for a long time to remove the platform and all the thousands of cement bags etc, that CC lies on at the moment.

I don't really follow the line that their tourist industry has suffered great harm as a result of the sinking and that as soon as things clear up then the tourist industry will recover straight away. I believe that the worlds tourist industry has taken a major hit since the banking crisis and in a way Giglio has been insulated against the worst of it with people coming to see the recovery operation

Clive, I read a while back they were still deciding whether to completely remove the platforms or leave them in place as a fish sanctuary and potential scuba dive attraction.

Well Mario B is still docked in Livorno, presumably loading two more sponsons.

Meanwhile there seems to be movement on site with Buccaneer moving a little bit away. Could this be the start of the reorganisation with Conquest repositioning to the port side.

This should give us our first view of the starboard side with all its sponsons fitted.

Garibaldo is in S. Stefano with two sponsons

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Porto%20Santo%20Stefano-Webcam/4862-Webcam-Porto%20Santo%20Stefano-weather.php

Clive, their claim is they have had more day trippers than people actually staying on the island; at least that was the claim last year. Then there is the environmental issue they bring up at various points. Yet even that has not had the effect everyone was so concerned about. I sense they just want more control along with guarantees. Either that or somebody wants to be the one to be able to say "I told you so" should something go wrong.

You are correct that once CC is gone there will still be work to complete.

Weekly report. Click on Visualizza.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/22/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-14-20-giugno/

Weekly report is posted. P14 & P15 install is next up starting Tuesday.

http://www.giglionews.it/wp-content/uploads/rel_sett_osservatorio220614.pdf

and a couple photos of last week on the news page

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/22/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-14-20-giugno/

Edited by lightman1984

They are repositioning Conquest as I type this but such is luck that the panoramic webcam from Giglio News is stuck at 2:27 AM right before they began to push it back into position. It is 2:45 AM CET and Vesselfinder and the other webcam indicate that it is nearing the wreck.

They are repositioning Conquest as I type this but such is luck that the panoramic webcam from Giglio News is stuck at 2:27 AM right before they began to push it back into position. It is 2:45 AM CET and Vesselfinder and the other webcam indicate that it is nearing the wreck.

Still down on the panorama. I switched to the Giglio Parbuckling view.

http://www.giglionews.it/2010/02/24/webcam-lavori-rimozione-costa-concordia-parbuckling/

I get the impression that the Mayor of the island seems to think he has more clout than what he actually does with regard to the salvage operation.

The sooner people stop interfering in the salvage operation the sooner it can be moved ... that is if they can make a decision!

I get the impression that the Mayor of the island seems to think he has more clout than what he actually does with regard to the salvage operation.

The sooner people stop interfering in the salvage operation the sooner it can be moved ... that is if they can make a decision!

Sid

You may be right.

Or, it could be another example of a person opening their mouth so no one could claim they didn't participate.

Anyone who has ever attended a meeting (business, community, social, etc.) has felt the urge to say something, just to prove they know what's going on and are not stupid. Unfortunately, sometimes they prove themselves stupid when they open their mouths. LOL

John

Edited by Uniall

I wonder if there is any reason they concentrated on the Starboard side so much before finishing the last 3 port sponsons?

Probably to minimize movement of Conquest in a tight space which after watching the whole operation last night, is not an easy task as it requires several tugs to be repositioned. It is not like the ships used for the port side sponsons which had precise positioning capabilities on their own. They started from the aft and worked their way forward and moved back to place S18 (ex S13) only because they had to remove it due to the incident they had with it.