Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Uni ... Still with us then i see ... :cool: what happened with Liverpool we were there where were you ?

Sid

I kept checking my email and never heard back from you to arrange a meeting place. I'd really looked forward to meeting you in person. I sent an email to you during our between cruises week in Portsmouth and never heard back from you. As it turned out, Sharon Rae was having a bad mobility day. Rather than use her electric scooter or rollator (walker on 4 wheels with a built in seat) she tried to guts it out with just a cane. The end result was we were only able to do a once around circuit of the Ho Ho bus and then spent an hour at the river front Liverpool museum (very interesting) before reboarding the ship. If I'd heard back from you, I could have had Sharon wait on shore while I retrieved her scooter or rollator from the ship and met you. Sorry,

John

Edited by Uniall

John ... Strange that, i mailed you while you were over here a couple of times but had no response i guess they are still out there in the universe somewhere.

We were able to get a look at the waterfront Fire station and go in and speak to a couple of the guys there, odd thing is they are not Firefighters so cannot do any time on land based stations but those from land stations trained in water rescue can work at the waterfront.

Hopefully sharon Rae is improving daily, a shame the weather was not too kind to you for the Liverpool visit.

John ... Strange that, i mailed you while you were over here a couple of times but had no response i guess they are still out there in the universe somewhere.

We were able to get a look at the waterfront Fire station and go in and speak to a couple of the guys there, odd thing is they are not Firefighters so cannot do any time on land based stations but those from land stations trained in water rescue can work at the waterfront.

Hopefully sharon Rae is improving daily, a shame the weather was not too kind to you for the Liverpool visit.

Sid

It's entirely possible that we never got each other's emails. I was having daily problems with my MSN email account. Without warning, MSN decided to put new security protocols in place as of May 1. Any attempt to log on more than 500 miles from home required answering a dozewn or more questions regarding your account (e.g. email addresses of your last 3 sent emails, sub file names. etc) and then recieve a secret access code at your account telephone (my land based home phone) or another email account. So, as the ship moved more than 500 miles each day, I had to create two new accounts with MSN competitors (yahoo & gmail) to recieve MSN's new access code. It was a nightmare. I can only suspect that had something to do with our inability to make contact.

John

Sid

Anyone who has ever attended a meeting (business, community, social, etc.) has felt the urge to say something, just to prove they know what's going on and are not stupid. Unfortunately, sometimes they prove themselves stupid when they open their mouths. LOL

John

Is there not an old saying that goes: "It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool that to open it and prove it."

Dry Run?

With three crewmen Piombino, Mayor Giuliani, Valerio Massimo Fabiani, Secretary of the Federation of Pd Val di Cornia-Elba, and municipal councillor S.pietrini left to Valerio 9 yesterday aboard the tugboat ' Phalesia ', affectionately dubbed "the Red Death", for a demonstration ride on the route that should take the ' Concordia ' from Lily in Genoa. The tug, departed from Piombino, arrived at around 14 to Giglio island and then from there, after five days of navigation arrives at the port of Genoa.

"The attempt is to document the path for making this floating waste – said Giuliani – and focus on an infamous decision that has yet to be officially taken and we hope to be rethought. During the crossing is also provided a perturbation of libeccio, between Tuesday and Wednesday, that if you take the Concordia the lead. Today we took Lily to the strength and conviction of our territory and of the Val di Cornia, and we had a meeting with Mayor Sergio Ortelli. Then the tug is broken down to Genoa on the route roughly to follow the ' Concordia '.

I will come back to Piombino for urgent commitments on the agreement – concluded the Mayor – but the rest of the crew continue to 2-3 mph for 4 or 5 days until Genoa. "

You can follow the path of the tugboat on twitter using the hashtag #pesterossaonboard or on Facebook through the page Pesterossaonboard

At the end of the article there are some twitter or Facebook postings. They did not translate but there are a few pix. Here's the link to original story:

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/23/rimorchiatore-pd-sulla-rotta-della-concordia/

I read that earlier SB, but couldn't decide whether they were trying to prove or disprove Genoa as the final Port of Call for Costa Concordia.

However it was :-

"During the crossing is also provided a perturbation of libeccio, between Tuesday and Wednesday, that if you take the Concordia the lead."

that really did have me scratching my head.

I did think that hoping for a guarantee of 5 calm days was a tad optimistic.

If the U.S.weather forecast is as good as the UK's we are lucky if they get the next 2 hours correct.

It sounded like a weekend jolly for the lads who had to be back at work on Monday morning

Dry Run?

With three crewmen Piombino, Mayor Giuliani, Valerio Massimo Fabiani, Secretary of the Federation of Pd Val di Cornia-Elba, and municipal councillor S.pietrini left to Valerio 9 yesterday aboard the tugboat ' Phalesia ', affectionately dubbed "the Red Death", for a demonstration ride on the route that should take the ' Concordia ' from Lily in Genoa. The tug, departed from Piombino, arrived at around 14 to Giglio island and then from there, after five days of navigation arrives at the port of Genoa.

"The attempt is to document the path for making this floating waste – said Giuliani – and focus on an infamous decision that has yet to be officially taken and we hope to be rethought. During the crossing is also provided a perturbation of libeccio, between Tuesday and Wednesday, that if you take the Concordia the lead. Today we took Lily to the strength and conviction of our territory and of the Val di Cornia, and we had a meeting with Mayor Sergio Ortelli. Then the tug is broken down to Genoa on the route roughly to follow the ' Concordia '.

I will come back to Piombino for urgent commitments on the agreement – concluded the Mayor – but the rest of the crew continue to 2-3 mph for 4 or 5 days until Genoa. "

You can follow the path of the tugboat on twitter using the hashtag #pesterossaonboard or on Facebook through the page Pesterossaonboard

At the end of the article there are some twitter or Facebook postings. They did not translate but there are a few pix. Here's the link to original story:

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/23/rimorchiatore-pd-sulla-rotta-della-concordia/

I love this translated sentence:

"The attempt is to document the path for making this floating waste – said Giuliani"...

:D

Edited by Ken711

I love this translated sentence:

"The attempt is to document the path for making this floating waste – said Giuliani"...

:D

I liked that one and "infamous decision" too. :D

Clive, sounds like our forecasters are as reliable as yours.

BE, they've kept quiet for over 2 yrs now. I still go back to it's better to bring it up "on the record" so that if any small or (heaven forbid) large problem occur they can say "I told you so."

You have to wonder who on Giglio stands to gain financially by the ship not being taken to Genoa after all Italy is the grease my palm capital of the world, plus there will be others who have a hand in what is going on!

Edited by sidari

Haven't commented on this thread in a long time. The shark pics sparked my interest. Thanks for google translate I was able to see why there was a shark at the site. Lol thanks for all the regular posters to this thread. Love hearing the updates from you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As someone has already said on here, the Giglio officials make me laugh with their "We don't want it to be moved but you can't leave it here" mentality.

I too have been concerned about an ocean crossing for some time, but surely IF there is any doubt, can't they piggyback it on the Dockwise?

There is still no movement of Garibaldo or Mario B for that matter, when they are supposed to fit the next sponson.

I am a little bit puzzled today that 3 regular vessels, Voe Earl, Afon Cefni and Ciclope are all ain the bay at Giglio Campese at the other side of the island. Don't remember this having happened before so can anyone enlighten me please.

Thank you for your kind words KY we are a very friendly bunch so feel free to contribute at any time/

Hi Clive ... Is there bad weather forecast by any chance ? i can only think they may have gone to the the side of the island to get out of it. I see the Big crane has dropped its boom down onto the deck.

Edited by sidari

The forecast is for thunderstorms tomorrow and rain on Thursday and Friday so you are probably correct.

I need more help with the weather so the refloat doesn't take place until !st August or after so I will have returned from my cruise. I think it could be close.

I think you're right about the weather, looks pretty devoid of activity there today.

Why are sponsons P6 and P10 taller than the others amidships on both sides I wonder.

P6 and P10 held the hydraulic pumping units that powered the strand jacks during the parbuckling. The units where mounted on top on swinging platforms that stayed level as the ship was rolled. They were higher because they did not want the hydraulic units to be submerged after the ship was righted.

Thanks for that Luisrp.

We have always welcomed all opinions on this thread and the same applies to this, whilst reserving the right to ignore things that we believed to be nonsense.

I have a feeling that the author of this came on this thread with similar ideas last year and the general feeling was that none of our knowledgeable ones agreed with his ideas.

I must admit I stopped reading after 30 minutes because he was making the same points over and over which was rather tedious.

There were several theories to say that the parbuckle had no chance of success, strangely they disappeared after a very successful parbuckle.

He also appeared to completely exonerate Schettino from any blame but I prefer to let the other thread deal with the legal implications.

I did see that the article had been censored, I hate to think what was taken out.

This might come as a bit of a surprise to us all but the decision on CC final port of call appears to have been put off again.

I know we will all be shocked by the news but I guess we will have to live with it.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/25/rimozione-concordia-la-decisione-passa-al-governo/

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. :rolleyes::D

Clive, every delay puts you in a better position to be back from your cruise.

I still find it ridiculous that after 2 1/2 years they don't know where the ship will go. Even if you give them the benefit of doubt that they waited to see if the parbuckle would work, that's been several months now that they had to come to a decision.

Sid, if you are correct about the greased palm syndrome in Italy, someone needs to quickly find the correct palm with the correct amount of money.