Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I emailed Reuters earlier today asking if they're providing a live feed of the refloat, as they kindly provided one last year for the parbuckle.

The Editor at Reuters Global Editions has replied saying he doesn't know yet, but will find out and tell me.

They are apparently extremely busy at the moment.

Testing report article.

Decisive tests in these hours on Concordia at Giglio to verify the operation of the movements of the artificial ballast formed by the belt boxes 'air-water' to refloat the ship. Electrical tests and tires are underwater. In preparation also changes the control room from where the 'Senior Salvage Master' Nick Sloane guide operations with limited staff is the same as the 'parbuckling' but now it is installed on the top deck of the wreck.

In this phase of the operation includes about 300 people. In particular, it is learned to Lily, are in the course of testing electrical and pneumatic systems of the plant dedicated to the handling of ballast caissons, which form a belt around the vessel, ie the systems that are used to operate and control the intake of air compressed in the caissons and the subsequent expulsion of the water at the time of rigalleggiamento, to facilitate the partial re-emergence of the wreck.

Moreover, in view of the operations of displacement of the wreck and the next trailer, engineers are working on the preparation Concordia attacks needed to connect the cables of the tugboats and fix the anchors of reinforcement required for the mooring of the phase rigalleggiamento.

According to the plans, on July 14 - the day fixed by the time schedule for the start of operations of rigalleggiamento - thanks to the caisson, it should first back up the stern, then follow the bow, so the wreck will be reported in trim and moored about 30 meters to the east, towards the outside of the island. The tests of these hours must give a correct operation of the equipment placed on the ship.

Always based on what is learned and spa Coast consortium Titan Micoperi have prepared an analysis of the problems and risks of the transaction in which one of the worst assumptions involves the sliding of the ship in a 'slope' marine depth of 100 meters in front of the Giglio.

sergio ortelli mayor of the island lilyOrtelli, Costa does not speak of any restrictive measures - In about a week from the operation of rigalleggiamento of the Costa Concordia, the City of Giglio does not know which programs have a maximum of Coast spa to mitigate "the interference of work with tourism activities and socio- economic island. " This was stated by the mayor, Sergio Ortelli, echoing the complaints of his fellow citizens, referring to the temporary stop of the ferries, the prohibitions of access to some beaches, the boating, the impact of Giglio Porto.

"Costa for now - says Ortelli - was not able to indicate even approximately, a minimal set of operations rigalleggiamento, that the City has unsuccessfully several times and in multiple locations required to know", "so much so true - says the mayor - who still do not know or can be anticipated interference with the activities and operations of the socio-economic needs of the island. " Ortelli said he sometimes received verbal assurances from executives of French, but he never had a program written with the points of interest for the islands' population and for tourists on the island.

Among the inconveniences mentioned "the restrictions on movement and access to the island and the beaches, the commitment of ground areas, limitations on water activities." "The island will be 'disconnected' from the continent and no one knows how many hours or days," said Ortelli, "while I have people who come into the City or call us to ask what to do and how it should be organized." The mayor of Giglio also said that "3-400 operators can not compensate for the 4,000 holidaymakers in June, 6-7,000 of July, August 10-12,000."

Environment Minister cockerels island lily giglionewsMinister Galletti, I'll be on the spot as a policeman - "I will be there and I will be a tough policeman." The Minister of the Environment, Gianluca Galletti about the movement of the Concordia, at the presentation of the guidelines for the environment in the European semester at a conference organized by the CONAI.

Galletti remember that the wreck of the Concordia "by the end of July to be in the port of destination" and that he will ensure that "the requirements of the Ministry are enabled in every detail."

I think someone cleaned the lens.

That cam sure went down fast. Right after I posted I checked the link to make sure it was working. Everything came up just fine.

I had wondered what the workers were doing above the Bridge area and I think this update from Giglio Website provided the answer.

At this stage of the operation are committed about 300 people. In particular, we learn to Lily, ongoing testing of electrical and pneumatic systems of the plant dedicated to the handling of ballast tanks, which form a belt around the ship, or systems that are used to monitor and control the entry of compressed air in caissons and the consequent expulsion of water at the time of the rigalleggiamento to promote the surfacing of the partial wreckage.

In addition, in view of the wreckage the next trailer, and technicians working on the arrangement on Concordia attacks needed to connect the cables of the tugs and the planned reinforcement anchors for mooring of rigalleggiamento time.

According to plan, the 14 July-the day fixed by the time schedule for the start of operations of rigalleggiamento-thanks to the system of cells, first traced the stern, should then follow the bow, then the wreck will be reported in trim and moored approximately 30 metres east, outward from the island. The tests of these hours must give a correct functioning of the equipment placed on the ship.

Always according to what we learn Coast spa and consorzio Titan Micoperi had prepared an analysis of the problems and risks of the operation that in one of the worst hypothesis involves slipping the vessel in a ' marine ' slope 100 feet deep in front of the lily.

RE: Sea Diamond - 5 years in prison or pay $12,500. I believe I'd come up the cash.

BE ... The Captain may well have done or may well do, you have to wonder if the same thing could happen in this case also.

I don't know Sidari, I think this sinking has been much more high profile than the sea diamond and much more lives were lost so I think they have no choice but to 'throw the book at him' (and rightly so).

Sid & Telk

You both raise interesting thoughts and concerns. I think it boils down to a distinctions in the legal psyche of Italy and Greece.

To the Anglo American observer, Italy's legal system and process is reminiscent of an old song, "Bring on the clowns". But, once they go through their process which takes forever and has "redo" after "do oer", they do put conicts in "La Prisone"".

Greek mind set, on the other hand, seem to prefer fines and social banishment to incarceration. To a Greek, there can be no worse punishment than a refusal to drink ouzo with you or allow you to join them in a Greek line dance screaming. "Oppa". Also, it saves them the cost of building and maintaining prisons. :D

Obviously, there's a little tongue in cheek humor in my comments but more than a grain of truth.

John

I have been gathering some links related to the refloating scheduled for Monday for a Captain friend of mine and thought I should share them here, so . . . .

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/86/Refloating_of_the_Concordia_at_Giglio_Island:_accreditation_procedure_and_logistics

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-refloating-phase-detailed/

http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia-refloating-kick-monday/

Edited by MorganMars

The Miami Herald reports today that refloating is scheduled to begin Monday (depending on weather conditions and final approval). She's to be towed to Genoa and dismantled for "recycling."

That is correct.

If you go to the sister thread here, Concordia Recovery, you will find some links available for viewing. Lots of info on the work leading up to the refloat.

The master is clearly clutching at straws and to me the most objectionable act by this person is the 'falling overboard' That to me is something I just find abhorrent

BUT

Will the shipping industry learn anaything from this?

Will they look at the bigger picture?

In theory there should not have been a problem with giving the order to abandon ship and oh how easy it is for us armchair critics to lambast this individual for this awful delay but is this the first time a captain has delayed giving this order and are we seriously saying there was no pressure from the owners?

When that ship is on the high seas the buck will always stop with the master... FULL STOP end of story BUT... I ask again..

How often is the master in talks with the owners of the ship.. Talks which drag out way too long and sometimes endangering lives? Here in the UK we now have legiuslation where the Coastguard can, if in their opinion there is hesitation they can order the incident be declared an emergency and salvage operators can taske action to attempt to save a vessel in distress. The coastguard call the 'Mayday'

Going slightly off topic

The cruise industry still continues to bury its head in the sand when it comes to abandoning a ship at sea in adverse weather conditions and I dread to think of the consequences if one of these huge liners gets into trouble. The lifeboat crews are not trained to launch their boats in adverse conditions and by not being trained who will get the blame when panic sets in?

Why wait for that tragedy? Why not learn from this event and ask the question 'What if?'

Yes the master needs to be held to account but what about the owners?

If their calls are not recorded, do w think they will give an honest account of their conversations?

Will the inquiry be allowed to ask 'What if?'

Or are we just going to sit back and wait for this awful tragedy that will happen!!!

I think we may have to wait for the press accreditation process on Sunday before we know who will have access to the site.

Its hard to believe that Reuters wont have a camera there after the great job they did on the parbuckle.

Does anyone know if there will be anyone aboard CC on the day??

Its hard to believe that Reuters wont have a camera there after the great job they did on the parbuckle.

Does anyone know if there will be anyone aboard CC on the day??

I updated Reuters 2 days ago with the revised start date of the 14th & asked if there was an update re the live feed. They replied saying; "Thanks again. I know that Reuters will cover it, or it is expected to. I still do not know if we are running a live stream." So, none the wiser!

If you click on the http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html and wait for it to zoom right in on CC, you can see the 3 portacabin style containers on top of CC, which I'm assuming are the same ones that were on the barge infront of CC during the parbuckle and provide the control room as Telken mentions.

I'd be ever so slightly nervous being in the control room on the day!! However I do recall there being quite a few workers clambering around the caissons adjusting the strand jack cables during the parbuckle. Very brave people!...

Big thank you to everyone for keeping this thread going. I've been a regular reader of all posts. Looking forward to the refloat and tow to Genoa and hope it goes well. As a practising professional project manager and having spent 10 years at sea in the Royal Navy, I can guess at the amount of planning, risk assessments, mitigation and contingency plans that have been put in place every step of the way. Hugely impressive so far.

Dearly hope that Greenpeace don't try to disrupt the operation in any way. There will be enough to think about during the operation without worrying about where Greenpeace are or what they are doing. Hope the authorities take a really firm line if/when necessary. This is a dangerous and difficult operation and Greenpeace should recognise that to interfere would only add risk and danger to an already risky and dangerous operation.

Love the legal arguments too. Very well put, as always (John).

Still hope that Captain Fantastic is convicted and locked away. Seems to be taking an age but I hope they get to a conclusion that recognises that someone has to be responsible for a completely unavoidable and unnecessary maritime disaster.

Here's to a successful operational outcome for the salvage of CC and trial of the man who fell into a boat.

glojo .... Some things have already been changed since this incident others will take a while as they always do, CLIA have made recommendations to the cruise industry which in time will see a number of other changes.

As with many other things in life you can only do so much training for the Big one.

I have been puzzling that for a couple of hours Telkin.

From one camera it looks like it is still there and from another as though its still in place I did check that one camera had frozen but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

I am watching Blizzard, the second big tug being brought in for the tow, it is passing between Corfu and Sardinia and is due on site tomorrow morning.