Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

It would seem the only recourse if the hull doesn't take the stress and starts to split is to break up the ship where it lies. The environmental clean-up cost at that point would be immense.

Hi

Ken,

It indeed would be a nightmare, that is one reason they want to keep as much water from the hull either in the hull or as the hull is righted they will be pumping some ashore to be treated.

It will be possible to boom the hull and that will catch some of the pollutants EI oil etc, but some things will be mixed within the water on a molecular level or may just be carried away by the current.

It will be impossible to garenttee to seal all the opening s as you can't get to them all and as you pointed out if she breaks up.......it will be like starting from stage 1.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Tonka ... Think you may find this interesting, i have just watched a tv programme called the "German Titanic" the German version of the Titanic story using a ship called the Cap Arcona, the ship was filled with over 5,000 detainees who had been transferred from prison camps. The ship was unable to move and had been filled with Gas tanks which were to be used to Gas the people on the ship! Cap Arcona was attacked by the RAF which the Germans knew would happen and less than 300 survived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_Arcona

A very Titanic Interior as well.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/series/cap-arcona/

I think I saw the same show or atleast part of it!...............Thanks for the links, I ll look them over.

AKK

CT, I do remember Italian Guest. He did a lot of translating for us. He also did a lot of apologizing for his country because of the actions of the Captain. I can recall so many of us telling him the actions of one did not represent the whole country.

People on board the Concordia were calling family/friends to ask that the police and/or CG be notified of a serious problem on the ship. The CG contacted Concordia to inquire. The Captain reported electrical issues and they were looking into it. Does that enter into this, lying to a CG official since the Captain knew the ship was taking on water?

Very true SB. It was only when some of the Italian passengers called family and friends to alert authorities that the authorities called Schettino to find out what exactly was going on. If not for passengers calling on their cell phones, the delay would have been much longer, IMHO.

Here is the actual taped conversation of Schettino with Port Authority Commander Leopoldo Manna of Rome before the famous "vada a bordo cazzo" conversation with De Falco. Manna asks him if there's a blackout or if he hit the reef or what exactly is going on. Schettino confirms it is a blackout coming up with a host of embarassing and confusing excuses about the reef -- essentially, he is a caught on tape flat-out blatantly lying for the whole world to hear!

http://youmedia.fanpage.it/video/UN2_N-SwtogS7Cm3

This probably explains why De Falco had no patience with Captain Gutless Wonder. It was already known that Schettino was lying by the time De Falco got to him.

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Reports just coming out of Italy stating multiple manslaughter charges will be dropped for Manfred Ursprunger and Engineer Paolo Parodi - they will receive only monetary fines. Charges also being dropped against Roberto Bosio as well as Andrea Bongiovanni.

Only charges for Roberto Ferrarini (Costa Headquarters Emergency Operations) Francesco Schettino, Ciro Ambrosio, Silvia Coronica, Jacob Rusli, Canessa and Giampedroni remain.

On another note, Ricki Lake had survivors of the Concordia today on her show:

http://therickilakeshow.com/episodes-clips/2013/1/Costa-Concordia-Cruise-Survivors-Revisit-Titanic-Like-Experience

Microperi plans to seal ALL the holes in the hull of the Concordia. They are considered experts in the field of underwater ship repairs.

Yes, they are experts. That's something we are all aware of.

BUT, when it does come time to raise the ship, there will be some drag and this is where the unknown comes in. Is it possible that new holes can be created? Is it possible the ship can break open? Not even Microperi has said there is a 100% guarantee that this will work.

There isn't a one of us here, at least to my knowledge, that wants to see this project fail. That doesn't mean we can't discuss possible issues that may arise. I'd bet Microperi has discussed them too being as they are engineering experts.

Reports just coming out of Italy stating multiple manslaughter charges will be dropped for Manfred Ursprunger and Engineer Paolo Parodi - they will receive only monetary fines. Charges also being dropped against Roberto Bosio as well as Andrea Bongiovanni.

Only charges for Roberto Ferrarini (Costa Headquarters Emergency Operations) Francesco Schettino, Ciro Ambrosio, Silvia Coronica, Jacob Rusli, Canessa and Giampedroni remain.

On another note, Ricki Lake had survivors of the Concordia today on her show:

http://therickilakeshow.com/episodes-clips/2013/1/Costa-Concordia-Cruise-Survivors-Revisit-Titanic-Like-Experience

Thanks to your post I was able to locate the show and record it. I just watched the whole interview.

The man pointed out that their lifeboat was on the "low" side and as it was being lowered (not very skillfully) a man jumped on and identified himself as the 1st officer and said he would get them to the island. The man said he didn't even know they were near an island.

The man couldn't put a name to him as that was all the officer said, even when the man asked if he was the officer that hit the rock and in which case he (the man) would prefer to drive the boat.

BUT, when it does come time to raise the ship, there will be some drag and this is where the unknown comes in. Is it possible that new holes can be created? Is it possible the ship can break open? Not even Microperi has said there is a 100% guarantee that this will work.

There isn't a one of us here, at least to my knowledge, that wants to see this project fail. That doesn't mean we can't discuss possible issues that may arise. I'd bet Microperi has discussed them too being as they are engineering experts.

You hit the nail on the head SB.:D.................AKK

Morning to All,

Well we were joking a bit about the electronic charts being in error on the minesweeper.....................guess what????

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2013/01/dn-stranded-navy-minesweeper-taking-on-water-012013/

I just never can trust this new fangled gadgets on Ships......:rolleyes:

AKK

My statement was regarding plans --- NOT possibilities. Anything is possible, but possibilities do not trump the plans of the experts in the field.

Tonka .... I think that the hold chains may be there to help stop that happening ?

Hey there Sid,

The chain are holdings her from sliding deeper and protect the workers. She is still moving/rocking/grinding on the rocks with each storm and heavy wind/waves. It does not take much to tear the thin hull plating. As the videos have shown, diviers can't work in the close, down where the hull is againist the bottom and they can't get to all the hull from the inside.

I am sure the Smit team has taken all this in account, and have plans to handle what ever happens regarding water in the hull. they don't have to weld up eveything, they have fancy new expanding foams, cement mixtures like the one to be used under the hull as she rolls onto the platform.

All these salvage pros have plans to do what they need to get done, even plans for any areas of the hull they may not be able to get at and seal up. Remember the plan is to roll her upright onto the platform, but float her yet. Then they can get at whatever remians to be sealed up, hook on the port side tanks and float her.

AKK

AKK

8 Nautical Miles ? .... :eek: Now that is some Error! wonder if they had lookouts posted .... :D

Yes, that is amazng.........as for lookout, dam, it was at night, and they said it was rough. That is not a large vessel, I would think it was possible(not a garrentee) to hear the waves breaking on the reef. It seem only 1 scale of charts were effected.,*coastal*..........

AKK

Can you explain ? I didn't say anything like that. Someone else on this thread doesn't think they know what they are doing. Ask them the question.

So your comment was meant to be directed towards someone that doesn't think all the holes can be sealed or that if they are, other holes can happen during the efforts to raise Concordia.

I would say his opinion is just as valid as your opinion.

Whether I agree with his opinions or not, from his many posts during our time involved with 2 threads on the subject, I can respect his opinion.

So your comment was meant to be directed towards someone that doesn't think all the holes can be sealed or that if they are, other holes can happen during the efforts to raise Concordia.

I would say his opinion is just as valid as your opinion.

Whether I agree with his opinions or not, from his many posts during our time involved with 2 threads on the subject, I can respect his opinion.

I don't doubt that. Microperi is the expert in their field. Their plan is to seal all the holes.

I am not opinionated.

Will the underwater platform for the hull to be rotated on to, be the full length of bottom of the hull?

I thought I had seen diagrams suggesting that only part of the hull will be on the platform.

Wouldnt this increase the chances of the ship "breaking its back" when its rotated ?

these guys know what they are doing d.

Very true, these guys are the experts and if the holes need filling this is what will happen. It would not seem to be a massive problem given the complexities of the whole operation. Ŵhich is what I tried to point out in regard to the funnel removal, and some poster called me an "armchair boilermaker"

David.

Will the underwater platform for the hull to be rotated on to, be the full length of bottom of the hull?

I thought I had seen diagrams suggesting that only part of the hull will be on the platform.

Wouldnt this increase the chances of the ship "breaking its back" when its rotated ?

You are correct in one of the videos, it showed only part of the hull being supported by the platform. They must have figured it as being enough.

AKK

Very true, these guys are the experts and if the holes need filling this is what will happen. It would not seem to be a massive problem given the complexities of the whole operation. Ŵhich is what I tried to point out in regard to the funnel removal, and some poster called me an "armchair boilermaker"

David.

Hi David,

I agree, However the STBD side where the hull is on or near the rocky bottom will be very hard to get to. There maybe holes/tears in this area that the divers cannot reach safely. I would expect they have developed alturnitive plans for those situations.

AKK

hi david' date='

i agree, however the stbd side where the hull is on or near the rocky bottom will be very hard to get to. There maybe holes/tears in this area that the divers cannot reach safely. I would expect, since smit are the pros, they have developed alturnitive plans for those situations.

Akk[/quote']

akk