Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Didnt they say somewhere that all the bouyancy needed would be supplied by the caissons ??

Not sure they have actually filled the gash caused by the rock initially.

Does anyone else have this recollection ??

Yeap the caissons will provide all the remaining bouyancy needed, but I do beleive some will be coming from the vessel. E.I. why they want to close up the hull as much as possible.

The last picture I saw they were working on the gash. I do not know if they finished it.

AKK

Alex, months I've heard suggested are somewhere between June through Sept.

Thanks for that. Think they should start as soon as the weather breaks. Make the use of daylight. Cant believe how long its taking.

Alex

Edited by bigeck

Didnt they say somewhere that all the bouyancy needed would be supplied by the caissons ??

Not sure they have actually filled the gash caused by the rock initially.

Does anyone else have this recollection ??

Microperi plans to drain the ship after it is uprighted and the hull is sealed. The sponsons will provide some flotation and also strengthen the hull. The walls of the ship will be strengthened during the recovery process to reduce the chances of the ship breaking up. The four platforms are scheduled to be in place in February, and the parbuckle is scheduled for July.

The work on the hull of the ship is ongoing but I have read that the rock that caused the major damage is no longer in the hull.

Edited by swedish weave

The work on the hull of the ship is ongoing but I have read that the rock that caused the major damage is no longer in the hull.

A portion has been returned to the sea.

Rock returned to sea bed

"The memorial events started when a chunk of granite that was left embedded in the hull of the Concordia during the collision was returned to the seabed by a tug boat, in a ceremony watched by weeping relatives and survivors.

The 10 ton rock, a fragment of a much larger piece of granite that ripped open the side of the ship and allowed seawater to pour into its engine rooms, was returned to its original location as a permanent memorial to the tragedy.

It was lowered into the sea by a powerful crane on board the Voe Earl, a British support vessel that is one of 20 vessels involved in the multinational effort to raise the Concordia.

The six-foot-high rock, which tore a 230 foot-long gash in the ship’s hull, bore a plaque with an inscription in Latin dedicated to the “everlasting memory” of the 32 dead."

Tonka ... Rumour is that the Captain has Italian relatives .... :D

Watched a TV programme on discovery two nights ago about this small Ship/Yacht called "Le Boreal" and the trip to Antartica, well worth watching if you can catch it. At one point the Captain says that the charts are wrong and the GPS is out and knowing the area plots his own course through Ice Bergs.

http://en.ponant.com/Ships/Le-Boreal

Edited by sidari

You are correct in one of the videos' date=' it showed only part of the hull being supported by the platform. They must have figured it as being enough.

AKK[/quote']

If you look at the Weekly Report toward the end of the report it shows the drilling status for the underwater platforms, with diagrams of the positions of the six separate sections of the platform in their relation to the ship.

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio200113.pdf

Microperi plans to drain the ship after it is uprighted and the hull is sealed. The sponsons will provide some flotation and also strengthen the hull. The walls of the ship will be strengthened during the recovery process to reduce the chances of the ship breaking up. The four platforms are scheduled to be in place in February, and the parbuckle is scheduled for July.

There's actually six underwater platforms, as seen in the Weekly Report.

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio200113.pdf

Investigation into the disaster of Concord also enters the company Costa Crociere held responsible for the behavior of its employees. The legal representative of the company was sent a notice of termination investigations for violation of Law 231, which punishes an administrative offense. Coast could be forced to pay a very heavy fine. closure of the investigation The new charge is in addition to the main investigation and reopen the deadline for the request for a hearing at this point should arrive in about a month. It 'based on a law of 2001 that involves numerous companies in the crimes committed in their interest or for the benefit of its employees. White Lilies at sea, the greeting of the relatives of the victims in this case, it is assumed that the captain Francesco Schettino and the emergency manager Roberto Ferrarini by their conduct have worked to protect the image of the company. For instance by delaying the general alarm or informing the Harbour, Concordia was simply having a blackout. Costa then you may have to answer for the conduct of two employees, ended up in major surveys. moments before the end, the video of the evacuation.

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2013/01/24/news/disastro_concordia_costa_entra_nell_inchiesta-51201893/?ref=HREC2-3

From my post above, "closure of the investigation."

Surveys were completed for the sinking of the Costa Concordia. This morning the prosecutor in Grosseto has filed all acts, almost 50 thousand pages, and sent notices to suspects. The act is party to the home of 8 out of 11, indicating that three people will be required to store and will not go to trial. To date, the injured parties that have formed are 700. Web and information on removing Concordia, memory objects The defendants have 20 days from the date of notification of the conclusion of investigation to submit statements then at the beginning of 2013 will trigger referral requests to trial. A twelfth denounced not located. This is Jacob Rusli Bin, the helmsman Indonesian understood evil, perhaps due to problems of language comprehension, orders Francesco Schettino and missed at least two maneuvers helping to send the ship on the rocks of the island of Giglio on January 13 last year. To track it down and surrender a warrant, the prosecutor in Grosseto involving Interpol, however, the helmsman, who is resident in Jakarta, capital of Indonesia, is not. Rusli is under investigation since last summer and it was discovered thanks to the 'revelations' obtained from the 'black box' in the field of recording evidence. For the sinking of the Concordia 32 people have died (even today there are two missing) of the 4,229 on board, including passengers and crew.

There's actually six underwater platforms, as seen in the Weekly Report.

The link you provided came up in Italian, but I found the information about six platforms on another website. They say three large and three small platforms will be used. Thanks for the update.

After positioning the grout bags, three large platforms and three smaller ones will be fixed in place. The piles will be inserted into the granite ground by drilling a 2 m hole, using a closed circuit system so that no waste is dispersed in the sea. Currently, work has also already begun on sea bottom drilling to prepare foundations for the 6 undersea platforms on which the wreck will rest after rotation into a vertical position. This highly delicate and difficult operation is being performed by UK company Frugo Seacore, a world leader in offshore drilling operations.

I also found it interesting that the salvage companies have set up makeshift offices inside the Concordia.

Edited by swedish weave

The link you provided came up in Italian, but I found the information about six platforms on another website. They say three large and three small platforms will be used. Thanks for the update.

After positioning the grout bags, three large platforms and three smaller ones will be fixed in place. The piles will be inserted into the granite ground by drilling a 2 m hole, using a closed circuit system so that no waste is dispersed in the sea. Currently, work has also already begun on sea bottom drilling to prepare foundations for the 6 undersea platforms on which the wreck will rest after rotation into a vertical position. This highly delicate and difficult operation is being performed by UK company Frugo Seacore, a world leader in offshore drilling operations.

I also found it interesting that the salvage companies have set up makeshift offices inside the Concordia.

Athough the report is in Italian, just scroll down a few pages in the PDF and you will see a diagram showing the positions of the underwater platforms and the drilling status for the pilings that support them.

If you look at the Weekly Report toward the end of the report it shows the drilling status for the underwater platforms, with diagrams of the positions of the six separate sections of the platform in their relation to the ship.

Hi Ken

That is the diagram I remembered. a fair bit of the forward end is free, which of cuase makes sense as there is the ligthest part of the hull.

AKK

If you go to the top of this page I have a link to a article............seems the electronic chart being used plotted the reef ..............ready................8 nautical miles in error.

I am sure more info will come out in time.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

SB ... It is a nightmare trying to understand the translation at times and it appears to be backwards in what it is trying to say.

Thanks for posting .... :)

You've got that right.

From what I get out of this, the Captain and Roberto are in trouble for the delay in notifying the CG to protect the brand.

Then, the helmsman seems to be missing but searches are underway.

http://news.yahoo.com/italian-prosecutors-investigate-concordia-owner-over-shipwreck-203337362.html

ROME (Reuters) - Italian prosecutors investigating last year's Costa Concordia shipwreck in which 32 people died are looking into the vessel owner's potential responsibility as an employer, the company said on Thursday.

Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp said in a statement that it had been told of a probe into possible violations of Italian law governing the responsibility of companies for crimes committed by employees.

Prosecutors are seeking a trial of the ship's captain and seven other people, a magistrate said in December. A judge will decide if there is enough evidence for trial.

The company statement said, "Costa Cruises is confident that it will be able to demonstrate full compliance with the law."

It has 20 days to present evidence in its defense.

The 114,500 tonne luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia capsized and sank on January 13, 2012 after approaching the Tuscan island of Giglio to perform a maneuver close to the shore known as a "salute". It struck a rock, tearing a gash in its hull and soon capsized.

Captain Francesco Schettino has been accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship, which was carrying more than 4,000 passengers and crew. He argues that he managed to prevent a worse disaster by steering the vessel into shallow waters after the impact to help the rescue operation.

(Reporting By Catherine Hornby; Editing by Grant McCool)

You've got that right.

From what I get out of this, the Captain and Roberto are in trouble for the delay in notifying the CG to protect the brand.

Then, the helmsman seems to be missing but searches are underway.

Correct -- that's the gist of what's coming out so far. Also, there huge monetary fines for Costa. The helmsman was spotted in Jakarta over the holidays but not sure if they know his exact whereabouts.

I am not familiar with Italian laws, but do they have to convict Schettino and the others before they can fine Costa ?

I'm not familiar with Italian law but logically it seems to me one has nothing to do with the other if the fines against Costa are for the delays of Costa in notifying the Coastguard of the accident. I am guessing that since the captain was in communication with the Costa emergency contact that they jointly made the error in not proceeding with getting coastguard help and starting evacuation in a timely manner. I am sure others can chime in on this......where is our attorney Uniall ??

I'm not familiar with Italian law but logically it seems to me one has nothing to do with the other if the fines against Costa are for the delays of Costa in notifying the Coastguard of the accident. I am guessing that since the captain was in communication with the Costa emergency contact that they jointly made the error in not proceeding with getting coastguard help and starting evacuation in a timely manner. I am sure others can chime in on this......where is our attorney Uniall ??

The reason the question came up was a comment about the Italian laws holding a company responsible for crimes committed by its employees.

I would think they would have to find the employees guilty before they could hold the company responsible.

I realize there are many other factors, but this is the one that brought up the question.