Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Clive, like you I thought of the brother of the young man still missing. He spent so much time there early on, then made return trips when hope came for recovery. I believe he will be there.

We never hear about the lady still missing but I suspect someone may be there for her too. Lifting that ship is their final hope for recovery and closure on this tragedy.

Luisrp, I believe we will experience several issues because of the number of folks tuning in. As has been mentioned, we are seeing it some already.

Good article in this link with some information on how this procedure will start.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/12/costa-concordia-salvage-parbuckling-nick-sloane

Interesting read from The Guardian link, thankyou SomeBeach!

The Parbuckling Project now reporting that the Parbuckle may commence from 6am Monday morning, really hoping the Hotel Saraceno webcam will work ok Monday!

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/43/Nota_sulla_fase_di_Parbuckling

Edited by CTH

I hope I speak for all of us on this thread, both Contributors and Viewers, in wishing Nick Sloane and his team the very best of luck and good fortune as we enter this vital stage of the recovery of Costa Concordia.

We hope to hear news early that they have recovered the remains of Maria and Russel so they can be returned to their families.

The team have done an amazing job with an imaginative and dangerous operation.

Thank you for letting us have an view of your work through the webcams from Giglio news and I hope the webcams can cope with what will be an enormous demand on your systems so that we can have a uninterrupted view of the parbuckle.

To the people of Giglio we hope that your beautiful Island is returned to its original state and your nightmare will end as soon as possible. Thank you for your help to survivors on 13th January 2012.

And finally, to all, may you have all the luck in the world and may your God go with you.

Clive

Clive, thankyou for your post this morning, very well written, as I am sure all the posters here will agree! Again, good luck to Nick Sloane & all the people involved in the salvage operation, and that hopefully soon after the operation the two missing people can finally be recovered.

Just watched the 3 window Portacabin office from the bow of CC being dropped onto a barge next to Micoperi 30, her 360 degree crane now lifting off the RSJ framework that the cabin was sitting on.

Also, just had another look @ the 7-day lookout Gantt chart for this week. According to this, all preparations should have been completed by last night (Thursday), apart from today's tasks;

Finish cleaning CC, make preparations to parbuckle,

Remove all workshops etc,

Removal of remaining generators etc in aft section by M30.

So it all looks to be on schedule, the chart was assuming the parbuckle would commence this evening (Friday), which we now know to be Monday 6am onwards. They therefore have an extra 3 days for final preparations.

We may see M30 move down to CC's stern to collect the generators shortly?

Another news link with 7 decent aerial shots; http://news.sky.com/story/1140821/costa-concordia-wreck-raising-starts-in-days

Edited by CTH

Thanks CTH

ER Narvik is still in Piombino so expect her to return to site later today with more grouting. Does this mean that Pioneer wont be able to move until Narvik has unloaded ?

Last night, I noticed that the wreck was not as well illuminated, I presume they have taken a lot of the lighting away.

There appears to be a massive press operation underway.

I don't know if it is a complete red herring, but for some months now, when there is something major happening, a yacht appears docked to the jetty to the left of the screen. It has been there for the last couple of weeks and I wonder if this is possibly Nick Sloanes boat.

I hope I speak for all of us on this thread, both Contributors and Viewers, in wishing Nick Sloane and his team the very best of luck and good fortune as we enter this vital stage of the recovery of Costa Concordia.

We hope to hear news early that they have recovered the remains of Maria and Russel so they can be returned to their families.

The team have done an amazing job with an imaginative and dangerous operation.

Thank you for letting us have an view of your work through the webcams from Giglio news and I hope the webcams can cope with what will be an enormous demand on your systems so that we can have a uninterrupted view of the parbuckle.

To the people of Giglio we hope that your beautiful Island is returned to its original state and your nightmare will end as soon as possible. Thank you for your help to survivors on 13th January 2012.

And finally, to all, may you have all the luck in the world and may your God go with you.

Clive

I fully 2nd your motion and wish the best for the team and the recovery!

I hope they have the weather they do now, for righting

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I liked the aerial shots but I thought the article did a disservice to Nick Sloane by claiming that this Franco Gabrielli guy is in charge of the project. He is the head of the Italian Civil Protection Authority and probably would not know how to salvage a sunken tin can from a bathtub.

Been tracking the infrmation on this thread for some time - thanks to everyone for keeping it going, it's been interesting and useful for me.

Hope it goes well next Monday or whenever it happens. The engineer in me wants to see it succeed because it's such an amazing feat of engineering to do this with such a big ship in that location and with that much damage.

It'll be interesting to see how much damage there is on the other side as a result of the stresses in directions that that the ship's structure wouldn't have been designed to withstand.

It'll also be really interesting to see how quickly she rights herself once she gets to an angle where gravity takes over.

Hope it goes ok though and thanks again to everyone again for making this such an informative and interesting thread.

Edited by paulrobs

The yellow helicopter is back on the scene.

ER Narvik is just leaving Piombino. I think its about a 3 hour trip to Giglio, so it will be interesting to see what happens to Narvik after she has unloaded the cement for the grout bags. As I see it, if she goes back to Piombino then the grout bags are still not completed, but if she sails away then its reasonable to suppose that the grout bagging is complete.

Been tracking the infrmation on this thread for some time - thanks to everyone for keeping it going, it's been interesting and useful for me.

Hope it goes well next Monday or whenever it happens. The engineer in me wants to see it succeed because it's such an amazing feat of engineering to do this with such a big ship in that location and with that much damage.

It'll be interesting to see how much damage there is on the other side as a result of the stresses in directions that that the ship's structure wouldn't have been designed to withstand.

It'll also be really interesting to see how quickly she rights herself once she gets to an angle where gravity takes over.

Hope it goes ok though and thanks again to everyone again for making this such an informative and interesting thread.

With all the references to the "bouyancy control system" I presume that as the ship nears the tipping point they are going to drain the water from the sponsons and let them provide lift to prevent the ship from falling uncontrolled onto the platform.

I wondered about that. Will there be any way they can control it once the ship is ready to right her self?

I am touching wood with crossed fingers and wishing for all to go well.

David.

Although I've not posted on this thread for ages, due to no internet at home and having to use this Micky mouse phone, I have kept in touch with goings on. So would like to add my best wishes to everyone involved in the recovery and also to everyone on here that's made this a great place to be kept up to date with what's been going on.

Clive, nicely stated.

For those of us that have followed and "reported" on Concordia for several months now, we all share your wishes for success of the project and recovery of the missing.

Late last night I checked the weather forecast for Giglio. Course we all know that they are not a guarantee that what is forecast is what will be. As of last night, showers are called for on Sunday (80% chance) and party cloudy with 20% chance of rain Monday. Temps are to be in mid 70"s and light winds.

I gather from the few posts here this morning that y'all are able to access the webcam. I am currently getting "database error" on my screen. :mad:

Giglio New's web page server might have crashed. Or hopefully they are upgrading it in anticipation of the very heavy web traffic during the parbuckle. I would hate to lose the only web cams at this late date.

Having the same problem, majorly disappointing if they can't get it working again over the weekend!...

There is the Giglio Yacht Club webcam, it sweeps across the harbour in roughly 10 second segments, you get to see CC on the LHS for a few seconds every couple of mins, only problem is their picture keeps partially blanking out, must have the same problem;

http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html

I saw the 3 window Portacabin earlier on, positioned on what looked like stilts on a barge to raise it higher up for better visibility, it was navigated into the gap between CC & Pioneer by one of the tugs. I'm half convinced that this is infact the ROC mentioned in one of the Gantt charts which will have 'umbilicals' connected to it to control the Parbuckle, ie this will be the operations centre, possibly positioned near CC's bow?

***** Edit; GiglioNews webcams now live again*****

Edited by CTH

Having the same problem, majorly disappointing if they can't get it working again over the weekend!...

There is the Giglio Yacht Club webcam, it sweeps across the harbour in roughly 10 second segments, you get to see CC on the LHS for a few seconds every couple of mins, only problem is their picture keeps partially blanking out, must have the same problem;

http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html

I saw the 3 window Portacabin earlier on, positioned on what looked like stilts on a barge to raise it higher up for better visibility, it was navigated into the gap between CC & Pioneer by one of the tugs. I'm half convinced that this is infact the ROC mentioned in one of the Gantt charts which will have 'umbilicals' connected to it to control the Parbuckle, ie this will be the operations centre, possibly positioned near CC's bow?

***** Edit; GiglioNews webcams now live again*****

I'm entirely convinced that you are correct. And I believe the guillotine cutter previously mentioned is there to cut said umbilicals if the worst happens and CC heads for the deep. I'm sure no one will be allowed on board the CC during the parbuckling.

I'm entirely convinced that you are correct. And I believe the guillotine cutter previously mentioned is there to cut said umbilicals if the worst happens and CC heads for the deep. I'm sure no one will be allowed on board the CC during the parbuckling.

Agreed, there is really nothing for any 1 person to do onboard at that time.

AKK

Wouldn't it be very dangerous for anyone to be in the ROC, so close, if anything goes wrong and the ship falls back onto the rocks creating a mini tidalwave??

I am watching Narvik which is now docked alongside Pioneer to see where she goes when she leaves. This will probably be in the morning.

So glad the cameras are back up and running.

Are we expecting the deployment of a lot more booms around the area to control any spillage?

Fingers crossed for the next few days.