Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I wonder if the Guillotine is on Pioneer and that is why it is still so close.

I think Nick Sloane and his immediate team maybe on the pontoon with the ROC on and he has moved to the problem they have at the bow.

Still a lot of people walking around the wreck so it looks like it is still some time before the PB starts.

Keep going everyone, Sleep is an unnecessary diversion 06.22 here in UK.

Brilliant pictures from Rueters better than I ever hoped Thanks.

Once they begin, I read that it is the first hour which is most difficult and dangerous to the operation. So if they would start, I can hang in for an hour. All night? No- didn't sleep much last night and two nights in arow is too much.If it were 6:30 am it would be one thing- i is 11:30 pm here.

Edited by 5waldos

this is some extreme engineering. I mean, we all know this is a mammoth project, but as I watch the live feed and they pan over the ship, and the sponsons, and the anchor towers, to think that a series of 36 (little) steel cables and some restraint chains are going to right the enormous hulk that is the Costa Concordia - it's just amazing. All that weight and a couple strand jacks. I hope the next few hours go as planned!

I wonder if the Guillotine is on Pioneer and that is why it is still so close.

I think Nick Sloane and his immediate team maybe on the pontoon with the ROC on and he has moved to the problem they have at the bow.

Still a lot of people walking around the wreck so it looks like it is still some time before the PB starts.

Keep going everyone, Sleep is an unnecessary diversion 06.22 here in UK.

Brilliant pictures from Rueters better than I ever hoped Thanks.

I'm wondering if those cables they are running from the bow are the feeds for the audio and video and if those cables have to be secured to the ROC.

Once they begin, I read that it is the first hour which is most difficult and dangerous to the operation. So if they would start, I can hang in for an hour. All night? No- didn't sleep much last night and two nights in arow is too much.If it were 6:30 am it would be one thing- i is 11:30 pm here.

Hope you are staying high and dry.

this is some extreme engineering. I mean, we all know this is a mammoth project, but as I watch the live feed and they pan over the ship, and the sponsons, and the anchor towers, to think that a series of 36 (little) steel cables and some restraint chains are going to right the enormous hulk that is the Costa Concordia - it's just amazing. All that weight and a couple strand jacks. I hope the next few hours go as planned!

I wish they had these cameras running a while ago and we would have seen the extent of the work being done. I didn't realise how much was done

I wish they had these cameras running a while ago and we would have seen the extent of the work being done. I didn't realise how much was done

I haven't been on here for a while, I saw things in different stages, and it was alot of work for these guys. But very interesting.

Anyone figure out when they will begin?

There is a live blog at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10311659/Costa-Concordia-salvage-operation-live.html

It says:

07.50 Here is the latest official statement from the consortium masterminding the salvage. No word yet on exactly when the operation will begin:

The salvage Master Nick Sloane and the technicians of the operations team are embarking to reach the control room (on a barge which is now positioned off the bow of the Concordia). In the meantime the operations for the positioning of the operating units are still ongoing. The connections with the control room have been activated and systems testing is proceeding. Once this operation is completed, the parbuckling can begin. There are no technical problems.