Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I am so intrigued by this. I am in Sydney, Australia and have had it on since 2pm our time (6am their time). It is now midnight. I have to get up for work tomorrow so I'm going to have to call it a night pretty soon. I reckon in the last hour or so they have really made some progress. I will have my ipad next to me and if I wake during the night, I'll check on the progress.

They have been going for 7 hours now and estimate the work would take 10/12 hours.Hopefully soon gravity and the weight of water in the caissons will take her onto the platform.
To answer your question, they are passed the point of no return and they will carry on until she lands on the platform. It may well be dark when they finish.
Hope that helps

[quote name='clive and anne']They have been going for 7 hours now and estimate the work would take 10/12 hours.Hopefully soon gravity and the weight of water in the caissons will take her onto the platform.
To answer your question, they are passed the point of no return and they will carry on until she lands on the platform. It may well be dark when they finish.
Hope that helps[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow morning will hopefully bring a completely different look at the CC.

[quote name='starryuk']I am glued to it and have been more or less since first thing this morning. Now I am wondering how much further they can get before nightfall in less than 4 hours. Will they keep going in the dark?[/quote]

A quote from the Telegraph newspaper web site:

[B]14.55 [/B]Since the weather delay this morning things appear to have progressed smoothly.
Officials are now quietly optimistic that the salvage is going to work, as the rust-stained, algae-covered hull of the ship is lifted out of the water inch by inch.

Roger Frizzell, chief communications officer for Carnival Corp, the American parent company of Genoa-based Costa Cruises, which operated the Concordia, said:

[I] "We are really pleased with the progress. [/I]

[I]After the delay caused by the bad weather it is nice to get back on schedule. Everything is going according to plan. The engineers are being very careful and they are doing a lot of checks. But they can continue into the night - as long as it takes. [/I]
[I]Nothing on this scale has been attempted before. It's unprecedented. But we have here the strongest team of experts that you could assemble. They are the best in the business.[/I] "

[B]Presser information: [/B]
-10 degrees of rotation achieved
-CC completely separated from the reef
-half way done with the first phase of the procedure using the strand jacks
-second phase is the part using gravity and the ballasting using the sponsons
-no further update, no concerns, the procedure is continuing
-need another 4-6 hours before they will start using the sponsons (phase 2). Proceeding very carefully, slowly. probably won't be done before midnight.

[quote name='lightman1984'][B]Presser information: [/B]
-10 degrees of rotation achieved
-CC completely separated from the reef
-half way done with the first phase of the procedure using the strand jacks
-second phase is the part using gravity and the ballasting using the sponsons
-no further update, no concerns, the procedure is continuing
-need another 4-6 hours before they will start using the sponsons (phase 2). Proceeding very carefully, slowly. probably won't be done before midnight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping us who have to work updated. Looks like I have something to watch tonight

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

I have been one of the silent ones watching the progress almost from day one on this forum and the Giglio web cams. This has been VERY interesting and will continue to be for the rest of this day and beyond!!!!

The live feeds are awesome!!!! So glad they are showing this and VERY glad that so far everything is going as planned!!!! I know the people of this small island will be glad when the ship is gone. I eagerly anticipate a long documentary on this who tragedy.

Hope they find the ones still missing. This must be an emotional time for all those who were on board and for the families of those who lost loved ones. Thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Thanks go out to all of you who have provided such great information on this forum!!!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'mmmm back. Being on pain meds I tend to fall asleep but wake up several times because of pain. I set up my laptop next to my bed and saw much of the progress between naps. :p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I have now read all comments to get updated and appreciate the points made.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I will say I am surprised there are workers on the ship. I guess they are needed to keep a check on cables and such.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I'mmmm back. Being on pain meds I tend to fall asleep but wake up several times because of pain. I set up my laptop next to my bed and saw much of the progress between naps. :p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I have now read all comments to get updated and appreciate the points made.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I will say I am surprised there are workers on the ship. I guess they are needed to keep a check on cables and such.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Hi SB, hope you feel better!

I am a bit surprised there is anyone on board right now as well.

AKK

[IMG]http://images.scribblelive.com/2013/9/16/52c209e2-24e5-4951-89d8-8debb057eb8c_500.jpg[/IMG]

This Reuters photo (published at 3:37pm, but not necessarily taken at that time) doesn't really show strands with slack, but we can see overhanging ends, maybe it's those ends what looked like cables with slack?

[quote name='Dinotoll']This is a Live Stream from German Television , perhaps you can try it out , not sure if it works in your country.
[URL]http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/livestreams/livestream-eins100.html[/URL][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]It does work. The video sometimes isn't as clear as the site I am watching but it is a full screen view.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Thanks.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just managed to connect to The Parbuckling Project.

They reported @ 4.20pm UK time (25 mins ago) that CC had rotated by 10 degrees, & will need to rotate by at least as many again to total 20 degrees, which is when the inlet valves of the 11 sponsons will reach sea level (& presumably start to fill with water!)

I also saw the workers climbing down the sponsons a little while ago, very brave men, they must feel the strand jacks & cables are safe enough to stand near now the tension on them has been reduced a little. I bet they'll be glad when they can start working/walking on a horizontal surface, hopefully from tomorrow, compared to 65 degrees for the last year or more!

[quote name='clive and anne']Do we think they have hit a snag. There seems to be a few people now in different parts of the ship.
Will somebody please tell that coastguard this is not an audition for Baywatch and get out of the way please.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]My thoughts were that they are checking everything to make sure all cables are working properly before they take the ship to the next degree. Isn't the 20% lift point where the sponsons will start filling?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I guess what I am most disappointed about is that the 2 missing weren't found. After 20 months in the water I imagine it would be difficult... Some months ago many people on the sister thread said that after a year in the water, the chances of finding them would not be possible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]For the families sakes, I hope they do find them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I do wonder if a certain Captain is watching this today.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]